1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Killing of Iraqi Woman in San Diego Draws Global Condemnation Online

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The death in San Diego on Saturday of an Iraqi immigrant, the victim of what appeared to be a hate crime, provoked a wave of outraged comments from bloggers who compared the killing to the shooting of an unarmed Florida teenager last month. The woman, Shaima Alawadi, died three days after her daughter discovered her body in a pool of blood inside their home along with a note that said, “Go back to your country, you terrorist.”

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/20...n-san-diego-draws-global-condemnation-online/
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,282 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Preface: I am not in support of Martin's killer's actions nor him not being prosecuted.

That being said, these are two different cases entirely. In the second case, the attacker went into the victim's home and killed her. Even if California had some sorry "Stand your ground" law, there is no way that could be invoked here.

"Your honor, I was minding my own business in the victim's home when she began acting like a foreigner, so I had no other choice but to kill her and put a hateful note on her"

Neither act was right or acceptable, but in the Florida case there are laws that make it opaque enough that even if prosecuted the jury may not be able to convict based on those laws.
  3. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree. I think they can convict... or that a jury could be swayed to convict. But I'm not sure how harsh the sentence may be.

It's a tough one.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,948 Messages
    3,295 Likes Received
    You quite simply cannot do this.
  5. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The post or what the perp did? I was trying to keep it inbounds, but I understand.
  6. casmith07

27,948 Messages
    3,295 Likes Received
    Sit around someone's house and kill them. Sorry I should have been more clear.

Jail time's a-comin' for the perp.
  7. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member

1,105 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    What the hell is wrong with these people? Its time to start making an example out of these clowns.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Gosh. I hope so. The woman was totally innocent. Some moronic jerk thought she was a terrorist and killed her.. as if Iraqi women didn't have it bad enough already.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,566 Messages
    2,166 Likes Received
    it is also possible that the killer wanted her dead for another reason and left the note to confuse the police
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,415 Messages
    3,369 Likes Received
    "Honor" killing by her own family...and then get extra bonus of more hate toward USA?
    Nah
    But I could see it happening someday
  11. casmith07

27,948 Messages
    3,295 Likes Received
    Stretch.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,415 Messages
    3,369 Likes Received
    Ol McCoy...you are just the bearer of uplifiting news, aren't you.
  13. burmafrd

42,566 Messages
    2,166 Likes Received

why is it a stretch?

Killers do things all the time to mislead the police
  14. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Hey, I'm just curious if they're going to catch the person. It's a tragedy our people think like this... if that's what indeed happened.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    A "stretch" is still lending some credence to the possibility, but it's still a "stretch". At least that's how I use that word.
  16. Romo_To_Dez

Romo_To_Dez Well-Known Member

2,303 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    The only terrorist is the whoever killed the poor woman for no reason.
  17. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    EL CAJON, Calif. (AP) — Police are investigating the beating death of a 32-year-old Iraqi-American woman in suburban San Diego as a possible hate crime but stressed that they are also looking at other possible scenarios.

El Cajon Police Chief James Redman said Monday that investigators have evidence that includes a threatening note found near Shaima Alawadi's body. Her daughter told a television station that it says: "Go back to your country, you terrorist."

Redman declined to discuss the note's contents, though he said that it has led police to regard the killing as a possible hate crime. The family has mentioned that there was a similar note from earlier, but police do not have a copy of it.

The chief said the victim died of severe head trauma but did not confirm the type of weapon. Redman said he was confident it was an isolated incident but would not say why.

"I want to stress there is other evidence in this case that we are looking at and the possibility this is a hate crime is just one aspect," Redman said, adding that they have not drawn any conclusions.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/17247839/iraqi-woman-severly-beaten-with-tire-iron
  18. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The killing of this Iraqi woman who had lived in the U.S. for about 2 decades (along with her husband and children) was dispicable. Really hope the killer is caught & executed--although doubt California executes anyone these days.

OTOH, thought that it might have been some kind of "honor" killing also came to mind. Just thought it interesting that her husband and all of her children were out of the house and she (a woman) was killed/accused of terrorism. It's more usual for a man to be accused rather then a woman. Don't get me wrong; "honor" killings are just as discpicable. Ironic in the Arab world, "honor" killings only done to women. Apparently men never dishonor anyone so no reason for them to be killed; besides they valuable & women aren't.

BTW: The largest cause of death of women in the Arab world is in childbirth (if husband doesn't like her he can also refuse bring a woman in to help wife have the baby) & "honor" killings. There, a woman can be killed for refusing to marry the man the family selected, accusing someone of rape which Arabs don't believe but then execute her cause by saying rape it's an admission of having sex with them, the man just wants a new wife and can't afford 2 wives, wife hasn't given him a son/children, etc.

Don't believe life in the U.S is anywhere near as bad for them as it would be if they lived in the Arab World but still "honor" killings happen. Some of you might recall a trial in Canada about 2 months ago where the husband, his 2nd wife & their son was found guilty of killing the man's 3 young daughters & his first wife because the girls were becoming too western. Think they got life in prison.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    If I were investigating, I wouldn't rule out the possible murder by her spouse or family. But it's just a possibility.
  20. burmafrd

42,566 Messages
    2,166 Likes Received
    just as much a possibility as the killer was using this to throw off the police. As was pointed out, why the woman and not the man?