1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper Invitational - Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by xwalker, Feb 21, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,999 Messages
    3,697 Likes Received
    I created a spreadsheet while trying to grade the draft.

Please review, especially the picks gained or given up from trades.

(click twice to enlarge, you will need to pan right-left to see everything)

[IMG]
  2. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,005 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Wow great job!
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    X2

That required some effort.
    Thanks
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,405 Likes Received
    Yes, we appreciate the effort.
  5. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    This is pretty dope.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,392 Messages
    6,405 Likes Received
    Is this in the order of how you graded it?
  7. xwalker

10,999 Messages
    3,697 Likes Received
    Yes, but I would consider changing my grades if somebody convinces me that they should get a better grade.
  8. DFWJC

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    Atlanta wasn't my team, but liked their draft, value-wise.

I had Tampa at or near the top too, so we agree there.
    I liked Buffalo :)D ) so we agreed there too.
  9. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,237 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Although the draft happened before Ogletree's arrest I won't complain because he'll prolly be on the board for the Texans at 27 now. Before the arrest however Ogletree was a top 15 pick and Terrence Williams is a first round talent WR.
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    My first round pick is better than everyone in front of me except Sheldon. I got three for sure big time contributers in Lane Okafor and Bell. I think Blidi is gonna be a good corner, had a second round grade on him. You should move me up :D
  11. DFWJC

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    You think Lane Johnson at 11 is better value than those in front for you?
    I like your draft but that is very debatable. I actually had Johnson valued slightly below where you picked him and all all the 1st rd picks for teams ahead of you rated higher than they were taken. I've seen Johnson rated as low as in the 20s, though he is better than that.

Ricahrdson at 19
    Ansah at 21
    Te'o at 25
    Moore at 8

all pretty decent values

Now you getting Okafor at 45...now that was good ...imo. I bet that is why he has your team rated so high.
  12. xwalker

10,999 Messages
    3,697 Likes Received
    In review, you did have a good draft. The biggest issue that I had with your draft was Okafor. It appears that SD is staying with the 3-4 and I'm not certain that Okafor is a good fit at OLB.
  13. Sifillest

Sifillest Member

474 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Okafor being swiped two picks before me made me very very sad.
  14. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    It's all how one has their board setup. I didn't have a first round grade on Ansah or teo. The Moore pick was great IMO.
  15. DFWJC

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    Now that's going the extra mile.

To me, Okafor seemed like very good value there...but maybe not as much so for that scheme.

xw, I notice that your were happy with your draft as well.
  16. DFWJC

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    Our boards sounded similar then.
    Most valued Ansah and Teo higher than I did as well. Can't say that I pushed Ansah all the way to round 2 though, but that just my take.

I liked my Phillip Thomas in the 3rd a lot. I also like your Wren Wilson okay, though I may have grabbed Logan Ryan there..it would be spiltting hairs.
  17. ABQcowboyJR

2,837 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    I think he projects well as a strong side OLB. Even in a 34 he is gonna end up playing with his hand on the ground a lot.
  18. xwalker

10,999 Messages
    3,697 Likes Received
    I didn't really like Okafor when the Cowboys were in the 3-4. After they switched, I thought he would be a decent fit as a Strong-Side (only) DE. I just don't see the quickness to be a 3-4 OLB or Weak-Side DE in a 4-3.

In regards to my draft, yes getting Te'o at 25 was a steal IMO. Despite the silly hoax girlfriend issue, I see him as a long time top LB in either a 4-3 or as an ILB in 3-4.
  19. DFWJC

22,350 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    RS can vouch this, I had your mock rated in the top 3 as well.

I wouldn't mind Dallas getting Aboushi in the 3rd round. He has some flexibility and could very well step in and start at RT.
  20. xwalker

10,999 Messages
    3,697 Likes Received

No Te'o in the 1st?

Scout's Inc. Report:
    Intangibles
    Plays with passion and is the vocal leader and quarterback of the defense. A mature individual that has a great work ethic and knows what it takes to succeed at the next level. Named an eagle scout in 2008 and volunteers at the Hawaii Special Olympics and Head Start Preschool program.

Instincts/Recognition
    Continues to improve diagnostic skills as career progresses. Quarterback of the defense and makes sure fellow teammates are line up in the proper positions. Reads keys quickly and shows very good playmaking instincts. Takes on blocks with proper shoulder to maintain gap integrity. Also flashes the rare innate 'snap shot' quality when taking on blocks to finish plays. Recognizes and reacts quicker than most LBs to screens and draws. Displays very good awareness in underneath zone coverage.

Take-on Skills
    Displays good size and strength in this area. Flashes above-average point of attack skills and can deliver heavy hit to draw to a stalemate against bigger blockers. Also shows ability to absorb blocks but has room for improvement in this department. Displays very active hands and does a great job of keeping blockers off of frame to disengage, redirect and finish plays.

Range vs. Run
    Displays very good range for his size. Covers sideline-to-sideline. He moves very well laterally while keeping his pads square to the line of scrimmage. Also transitions quickly when changing directions. Possesses an above-average closing burst and covers a lot of land in pursuit. Protects lower body well and plays on his feet.

Tackling
    A strong, reliable and fundamentally sound tackler. A thumper that flashes ability to run through tackles and deliver heavy hit. Does a nice job of wrapping up upon contact and can lasso ball carriers at the legs. Takes good angles in pursuit and shows very good body control in space as a tackler. During film study it was few and far between him missing tackles he should make.

3rd Down Capabilities
    Easy movement skills give him a wide range in underneath zone coverage. Flashes playmaking ability and displays ability to get hands on ball to break up passes. Can carry TEs down field and shows ability to match up in man coverage. However, may have limitations sticking with quicker RBs out of the backfield. Displays good timing with pressures. Also shows excellent power and hands to work through blocks. He closes in a hurry and is relentless in pursuit of QBs.

NFLDS:
    He worked his way into the starting line-up as a true freshman and started nine games, finishing fourth on the team in tackles with 63 stops. Te'o emerged as a defensive leader in 2010 as a sophomore, leading the team with a career-best 133 tackles. He again led the Irish defense in tackles in 2011 as a junior with 128 stops, adding 13.5 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks and earning All-American honors.

While he did not join former Michigan star Charles Woodson as the second defender to win the Heisman Trophy, Te'o is considered by some to be the most decorated defender in college football history. He won the Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Awards as the nation's top player overall, the Lott IMPACT Defensive Player of the Year award, as well as the Bednarik Award (best defender), Nagurski Award (best defender), the Lombardi Award (best lineman/linebacker) and Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.

While the NFL could care less about a collegiate prospect's stocked trophy case, it is tough not to acknowledge the relative safety that the 6-2, 255-pound Te'o provides as an instinctive, physical defender capable of making big plays against the run and pass.

STRENGTHS: Possesses a typical Polynesian build. Has a stocky, powerful frame with overall weight distribution and a naturally low-center of gravity which aids him in anchoring against blockers. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, correctly identifying the intent of the play and quickly attacking. May not possess elite straight-line speed as timed in workouts but consistently gets to the edge due to his lateral agility, balance and anticipation. Generally a reliable open field tackler.

Brings his hips as he hits the ball-carrier, powering through him and wrapping his arm securely for the tackle. Does a nice job of forcing the ballcarrier to commit, rarely allowing cut-back opportunities.

Returned for his senior season dedicated to making himself a more productive defender against the pass and was incredibly successful in those role, demonstrating not only better speed and fluidity but instincts in coverage. Entered his senior campaign with zero career interceptions but recorded seven in 2012 to lead all FBS linebackers.

Showed much better awareness, body control and ball-skills in this regard as a senior. Known throughout his career as a leader and a man of integrity. Voted a team captain. Earned the prestigious Eagle Scout award in 2008.