1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper: Midseason NFL draft preview....

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Risen Star, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,833 Messages
    5,374 Likes Received
    Midseason NFL draft preview

If every NFL team could draft a player tomorrow, how would it line up?

Mel Kiper Jr.
    ESPN Insider

Sunday Night Football represented essentially the halfway point of the NFL season. And at this stage, personnel folks for NFL teams are quite aware of where the biggest voids on the roster exist. They've seen plenty of reps against good and bad competition, and injuries have allowed them to go deeper into the roster for help. So while the scouting process is a perpetual one, at this point you can start to get a better sense of what you'll need to look at in the offseason.

So let's take a first look, as if the NFL draft were being held tomorrow. The draft portion of this is mostly for fun -- all juniors mentioned here aren't even guaranteed of being in the draft -- but we'll put a name in for each team just to get you more familiar with some of the top prospects in my rankings.

The ever-important parameters:

• Having spoken to folks from a number of teams and evaluated the teams, I'll take a look at some emerging needs.

• I'll suggest a prospect who could fill a void if the draft were held tomorrow -- these are not based on value or draft position, just a good fit.

• Because "picks" are more about need, a few top prospects are passed over.
    Again, the draft element here is just for an introduction to prospects, because for all teams, the draft board is a long, long way from complete -- just like mine. But here's to getting way ahead of ourselves …

Dallas Cowboys

Top emerging needs: G/C, S, OLB

Analysis:
    Tony Romo has been off far too often this season, but the Cowboys are right to shoot down any idea they should replace him. His track record shows he's capable of playing at an elite level, and you hang onto that kind of player. Romo's biggest problems are right in front of him, where the Cowboys have not been good enough on the offensive line. Tyron Smith is going to work out, but Doug Free is a problem and the interior needs help, as well. Elsewhere, the upgrades at cornerback need to continue at safety, and if Anthony Spencer isn't back, outside linebacker is a target.

Drafting tomorrow: Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee

Rest of NFL: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...raft-first-look-top-needs-possible-selections
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I like the pick, don't think it would happen but Thomas can play OG or RT day one.
    Just depends on who is there when we pick and where we are picking. I wouldn't mind this pick if its in a trade back to stock pile other picks if all the top players are gone.
  3. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,374 Likes Received
    In case anyone's wondering about the rest of the division, his hairness has the Giants selecting Dion Jordan DE Oregon, the Eagles taking fast rising OT Taylor Lewan from Michigan and the Redskins drafting Jonathan Cooper OT/G North Carolina.

Kinda shows how poor the OL play is in the division right now.
  4. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    well aside from Eli, the rest of the QBs in the division are running for their lives, like Turkeys away from Pilgrims.
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,681 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I'm liking Chance Warmack, but Dallas Thomas would be a nice pick as well.
  6. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Active Member

992 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    Dude, that is one hell of a draft you have there. If the 'Boys somehow pulled that off............
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,128 Messages
    2,981 Likes Received
    Dallas Thomas is a great fit in Callahan's Zone Blocking Scheme.

I would like to get him in the 2nd round. Mid-1st where the Cowboys appear to be headed seems a little high.

I think he could play OT in the NFL, but he is a better OG, IMO.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Drafting a Tackle would be the only way I'd be happy selecting a OL in the first. This is going to be a very important draft and offseason(in regard to FA).
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I recognize the need, but unless its Barett Jones I don't want an interrior lineman in the 1st round. There just aren't any can't miss OG's in this draft that warrant a 1st round pick. 2nd round, yes we can look at a few guys, but I don't see guys like Thomas or Womack coming in here and making a huge difference.
  10. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I just do not see Dallas winning a Super Bowl with Romo as QB.

The drafting a young QB creates an atmosphere of hope and enthusiasm for the future.

The standard should be winning Super Bowls.
    Eventually, a franchise-type QB must emerge ~ drafting one would be prudent.
  11. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,467 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    I dont see a QB this year worth getting rid of Romo.
  12. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,331 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Yep, Me too, I would love either one.
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, since this thread was about the draft, how about offering an opinion on who we select? Or do you want to just use this space to trash current players instead?
  14. Risen Star

19,833 Messages
    5,374 Likes Received
    I think he's saying he'd rather use the pick on a QB.
  15. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    "Trashing" players ~ no, it is called wins and losses and playoff victories.
    A QB for the future could be any one of these guys:

1. Matt Barkley - USC
    2. Geno Smith - WVU
    3. Tyler Bray - Tennessee
    4. Tyler Wilson - Arkansas
    5. Tajh Boyd - Clemson
    6. E.J. Manuel - FSU
    7. Ryan Nassib - Syracuse
    8. Mike Glennon - NC State
    9. Aaron Murray - Georgia
    10. Logan Thomas - Virgina Tech
    11. Landry Jones - Oklahoma
    12. Zac Dysert - Miami of Ohio
    13. Derek Carr - Fresno State
    14. Colin Klein- Kansas State
    15. Jordan Rogers - Vanderbilt
    16. Tino Sunseri - Pittsburgh
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I dont like any of those guys in the first. Some would interest me in the second. Dysert is one of the most intriguing guys on the list IMO.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    of course there are minimal physical standards for the QB, but if our scouts are any good they need to look for a guy that makes plays. If we could get a guy say 3rd or 4th rd that needs a couple of years on the bench to learn and figure things out like Tony did, that would work out quite well.
  18. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    If we're talking about mid round QB's I really like Colby Cameron from LA Tech http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/385667/colby-cameron

Passes the eye test at 6'2 and this year in his senior year hes completing a little over 70% of his passes and has 24 TD's and 0 INT's. Kid is efficient and the only real question is the competition level he played against. But there have been a whole lot of small QB's who have succeeded in the NFL so that shouldnt be a huge red flag.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,237 Messages
    2,805 Likes Received
    You want to watch some rookie (who might not have the escape skills Romo has) run around and get killed each week? He would never last an entire season.
  20. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Like the Thomas pick and good analysis by Kiper.