1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kiper now thinking Cowboys at 18...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by J-DOG, Apr 22, 2006.

1. J-DOG

J-DOG Active Member

2,135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mel Kiper Jr. is now thinking of moving off of Jason Allen at 18 and putting Manny Lawson in that spot.
    He was also interviewing someone on the radio today and asked him who was the most overrated player and underrated player in this draft.
    The guy said Ngata was the most overrated and that Manny Lawson was the most underrated.
    Kiper's most underrated/sleeper-Antonio Cromartie.
  2. Dawgs0916

Dawgs0916 Will the Thrill

2,194 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I really really like Cromartie....I think a team is going to surprise and take him top 12-15....
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,004 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    Surprise, surprise. [/Gomer Pyle voice]
  4. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,668 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Not to beat up on Lawson, just passing on some info I heard on SIRIUS, on one of the shows this afternoon one of the guys said that in speaking with "one of his sources" which is supposed to be an nfl coach, he was told that this particular teams evaluation of Lawson was that he was very slender in the legs, so lacking the lower body strength they felt he would have a tough time in the NFL being a 3-4 OLB because he would lack the lower body strength to take on blockers.
    This was the same stuff I read about Shante Carver, sadly, AFTER we wasted a pick on him.
    Like I said though, just passing info I heard on, I still would like to trade down a bit, get our fourth back and get Carpenter but Lawson and Wimbely excite me as well.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,004 Messages
    1,099 Likes Received
    That's a good point actually. His lower legs are rail thin. His upper legs however are just fine.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,993 Messages
    5,025 Likes Received
    Surprised it took this long.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Ted Hendricks did quite well with chicken legs.
  8. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received

That's why I want Dallas to grab Bobby Carpenter as quickly as possible... I don't even care if they get him at #18... he will be worth it!!!
    :starspin
  9. Thick 'N Hearty

Thick 'N Hearty Active Member

2,359 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Finally, Kiper is getting a clue as to what the Boys will do with the draft. An OLB is more likely than a DB. But, Cromartie is one of those that could end up with the boys in the 2nd or 3rd.
  10. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,294 Messages
    1,724 Likes Received
    I hope everyone thinks this, so that he may fall to us at 18.
  11. STSINAZ

STSINAZ Active Member

2,845 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    well all we need lawson to do is rush thepasser in his first year...he will get his legs going within a year...
  12. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hendricks didnt play in todays world of super athletes either...what worked 25-30 yrs ago, might not work today

David
  13. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
  14. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Inexact science isn't it? And back and forth we go. It's kind of fun debating the pros and cons though.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    To be fair, most of the posters are NOT AGAINST Lawson, they just think Carpenter is more of a "sure thing" since that's Carpenter's natural position.

So, given the order preference, it's Carp and then Lawson, though most say they are fine with either.

Only the minority are saying they would be unhappy with Lawson at 18.

Al least that's how I read the situation . . . .
  16. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,178 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    IMO Lawson would do us right!
  17. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,546 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I was a huge Allen fan until i heard about the failed physical. Pretty dangerous pick now IMO.

I agree that Ngata is overrated and I don't like his injury history considering his size. I saw quite a few of his games and I never saw the reason for the hype. Besides, we're already paying Fergi a monster salary.
    Cromartie....hard to justify picking a guy with hardly any starting experience and a knee injury, regardless of the talent.
    I think Carpenter is the smartest pick and Lawson is the gambler, exciting pick.
  18. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,964 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    What...no love for Wimbley?
  19. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With all the emphasis Parcells puts on squats, you can bet that if we get him he'll gain some leg strength.
  20. Kevlee06

Kevlee06 New Member

470 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm all for drafting Lawson. His athletism opposite Ware would be great. I wouldnt mind seeing Carpenter either. But I think Carpenter will be good quicker but over the long haul Lawson might become the better player.