1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kirkpatrick Cements Status At Pro Day

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Doomsday101, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    Any team looking for good players should've been at the Alabama pro day on Wednesday. They are the National Champions after all.

Gil Brandt was there. The longtime Cowboys VP of player personnel and NFL.com draft godfather reported 30 teams were in attendance. Apparently the Bears and Rams don't need good players.

Anyway, Brandt ran the performances of the Crimson Tide players through his IBM supercomputer and came away awfully impressed with cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, who has been projected as the Cowboys' target in countless mock drafts.

"He had a very, very, very good workout," Brandt says. "He's already a first-round pick. I think what he did was make people realize their evaluation was correct. I look at him as first half of the first round."

Kirkpatrick is not as tall as he's been listed - standing just shy of 6-2 - but impressed teams with his quickness in drills. He ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash at the NFL combine.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/j...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Funny, I was told all offseason that Kirkpatrick was 6'3". Turns out he's 6'1 1/2"
  3. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,921 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Did he do a 3 cone? i couldn't find it if he did.
  4. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    I was a bit disappointed in this article really hoping to see more than just 3 "very" from Gil. Now I'm not so sure about Kirkpatrick :laugh2:

"He had a very, very, very good workout,"
  5. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    Not sure. If we play aginst the Texas Highway department we could be in big trouble. :laugh2:
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,154 Messages
    2,230 Likes Received
    I'd be more than fine if we nabbed Kirkpatrick...as long as Garrett is comfortable with him overall. And as long as we address the line in FA and later in the draft.

If we get Carr before the draft, I doubt we'd take this guy though.
  7. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    It's more shocking to me that the Bears weren't present at yet another pro-day. Did they get some crazy infusion of talent all of a sudden that I missed?
  8. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    Same here. I have said many times there is more than 1 option at 14. For me DeCastro and Kirkpatrick would be great pickups as well as Ingram, Upshaw

Main thing getting quailty players in here.
  9. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,397 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Honestly we could go any direction in this draft. No one will have any idea until we get into FA. If we can grab Nicks/Grubbs and Carr then it's anyones guess what we do in the draft. With Spencer in tow and those two signed, first round really become BPA or biggest potential. I think thats when guys like Mercillus and Poe become real possibilities.
  10. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    I agree FA will play a part in what we may do in the draft.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, my board at #14 is DeCastro, Kirkpatrick and Mercilus.

FA of course would change the priority of those players.
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Realtick, what do you think of Cox by the way (as a potential pick at 14)?
  13. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.............I'm down with Decastro, Kirkpatrick and Cox: why Mercilus over Cox? (looking to get educated as I don't know a TON about the true difference between the two) thanks..........
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Mercilus is a OLB in the 3-4 as Cox would be a DE.
    very different players.
    Mercilus is a true pass rusher and can be a play maker day one but not a day one starter. He can play the Aldon Smith role for this year. He isn't my top choice but I wouldn't hate it. I would like to see him drop his sholder and turn his hips faster around the edge. He uses his power and arms to get seperation and then moves around the dge, much like Ware does. Ware also has that great shoulder dip though.
    He would be a good pick up to develop and replace Spencer after this year.
    I have more day one ready full time starters ahead of him liek Cox, DeCastro, Glenn, Ingram, Kirkpatrick. But like Realtick says it depends on FA and who we sign. If we sign Carr, I don't see us going after Kirkpatrick.
  15. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,418 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    It's getting scary about how much I am starting to agree with you.
    But I would add Cox and Ingram to that list and also Glenn. You can put them in your order if you want.
    I agree that it all depends on FA and who we sign.
    I think we get a OL and CB and Jerry wants to add pass rush.
    a LB and DE and then a CB in the mid rounds as well as a OL in the mid rounds. I bet they have their own players on the board as a mock draft. Not saying they will target only those postions in those rounds. I'm saying they have a dream draft of DE Cox,LB Irvin, OG Brooks, CB Fleming, something like that. Or a LB Mercilus, DE Reyes/Crick, CB Fleming/Bentley/ OG Brooks.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's a good solid prospect.

I think the Cowboys are looking to add more athleticism to the DE spot. They had serious interest in J.J. Watt last draft; Watt tested off-the-charts.

Cox is just a bit shorter than I would like for the position (6'4"), but ultimately could man the spot quite well. I don't think he's a world-beater, but he'd be definite upgrade to what we have at the spot currently with guys like Coleman and Spears. Stephen Bowen fit that mold but took off to Washington, but guys like Sean Lissemore and maybe even Geather are the type of players they want on the d-line moving forward.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Lol, well apparently supercowboy8 took the liberty to answer for me.

Actually, what he's saying is pretty much on-point.

Mercilus bares an uncanny resemblance to Aldon Smith as a player and athlete (in some aspects even better). With Spencer apparently back in the mix, he could be utilized as a passrush Day 1 like the 49ers use Parys Harrelson and Aldon Smith.

For my money/pick, a pass rusher at #14 is better value than a 34 DE. I think you can target pretty good prospects to plug in a DE rotation at various later points in the draft (Kendall Reyes, Derek Wolfe, Billy Winn, et cetera). With passrushers, you're elite talent is typically going in the first two rounds.
  18. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,910 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I would take anything Brandt has to say with a grain of salt. His uber computer went kaput years ago.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Either one of those draft day hauls would be fine by me.