1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kliff Kingsbury new Texas Tech head coacb

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Hope the spelling is correct. The announcement is all over twitter right now.
  2. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

794 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    Guns Up!
    The Air Raid Offense Returns.
  3. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This makes me sad. I'm sure Sumlin will find a suitable replacement.
  4. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    He was the QB when they spanked cal after they didn't get into the rose bowl right? At least the tech fans will love this move
  5. Mike_45

Mike_45 Active Member

1,095 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    That was Sunny Cumbie that made Aaron Rodgers cry like a girl :)

Disclaimer - I dont actually know if he cried, I cant provide a link, but I like to think he did.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    KK was the original Air Raid QB.

Sumline's primary offensive assistant and the guy most connected to Johnny Football.
    He also played for Bill Belichek and was coached by Leach, Dana Holgerson and Art Briles.

Quite a coaching tree for a guy only 33 years old.

Recruits love him because he is a young, hip guy. He was actually in the NFL only 5/6 years ago.

If he pulls in a new DC from that TAMU staff as well Tech should bounce back quickly in recruiting. They had a lot of input with recruits and TAMU had more commits than they can admit. A couple may fall Tech's way.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    He only has 5 years of coaching experience. He is not qualified to be a Head Coach yet. He'll be learning on the job.

Did I forget any of them?

I send my congrats. I don't subscribe to any of the above gripes.
  8. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    The difference is this kid can actually coach. :D
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I understand where Hos is coming from. A lot of the negatives heaped on Redball have been blown way out of proportion.

All that being said KK was OC for the top offense in the country at Houston and now the top offense by about 100 yards per game in the SEC. IIRC TAMU finished 9th offensively playing both LSU and Bama.

Redball didn't set the world on fire in his early coaching work though he also probably had less to work with than KK has.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    Actually there is no difference. Either there are the restrictions on timing or there aren't. Obviously, there aren't which makes those arguments moot. Many of the best Head Coaches career's got launched like that. Including Tom Landry and Don Shula. The up in arms crowd have apoplectic fits if you say that because they can't stand comparisons to success even though Landry did not start successfully. It was built. Shula inherited a pretty good Colts team before he literally built the Dolphins. Either you have patience to see the progress or you don't, and too many fans don't. And not just this generation. Our fans were against Landry and in truth they were all over Jimmy too. This is nothing new. It is just as short sighted now as it was then.
  11. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    I know. I was just messing with you Hos. I've been a TT fan since the 70's. Its been a rough life of fandom. I love the hire and have been pulling for Kliff since mid season. Tubbs was washed up and never fit in.

He's real young, but Techs AD, Hocutt, was his age when he first got his chance as AD.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like the hire Tech fans need to give him 3-4 years to clean up the mess left behind because Tommy did leave a mess and the recruiting classes have been subpar the last couple years.

The nice thing for Kliff is he will be able to get a young QB to build around because Johnny Football being so young I think it gives him the inside track to getting a young High profile Texas Highschool QB that wants to throw the ball.

It sucks for Texas A&M but it also is good for Texas A&M. It sucks because they lose them but it also makes it easier to recruit assistant because of the chances it can create if you are successful
  13. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Only weakness i see in Kingsbury is the staff he's assembling, he's rostering up some young tech grads two or three years out of school. there's an heir of elder authority 25 year olds might might not be able to muster over 21 year olds...and it will be hard not to date tech cheerleaders:D
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    The only weak class has been this past one. And in all honesty that was a good class just downgraded due to JUCOs. But the JUCOs can largely play.
    TTub was a good recruiter. He just failed in many other areas. The largest being he is a good defensive mind having worked under Jimmy Johnson but allowed others to run the defense with no input.

I like the young asst. coaches because they generally recruit much better than older guys. But there will need to be a strong defensive mind to coordinate the defense.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,896 Messages
    2,144 Likes Received
    Great hire for TT for several reasons.
    It's hard to do these days, but I think his grace period will be longer than for some
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Tech has a very young team still. Not sure KK will need much of a grace period. Lots of injuries this year so the team finished poorly for the second straight year. Easy to see them do far better next year.

Tech loses only like 12 players off the 44 player 2-deep.

If Michael Brewer can play at QB then this team will be tough. The defense will be loaded with experienced juniors and seniors.

Javon Bell, Eric Ward, Jace Amaro, Dom Wheeler, Bradley Marquez... tons of receiving threats. The starting RB is returning. Tech is losing a draftable LT and the overall OL play will be a concern.

KK needs to finish this recruiting class strong and keep the JUCOs who haven't decommitted.
  17. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd be damned disappointed if they didn't try. Man, Tech had/has some of the hottest coeds of any campus I was ever on and that included Miami and Texas State.

It wasn't necessarily that they were just overly hotter than other campuses, but its that there were so few of the unattractives within the "average" demographic.
  18. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,496 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Texas was better in both quantity and quality! i did have an apartment right across the street from the zeta house when i was at UT, so......ya.....needless to say i never enjoyed taking my dog to the bathroom more.
  19. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Great pickup for Tech ... Im sure Sumlin and Johnny Football are gonna miss him next year.
  20. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It sounds like Kingsbury might have his first recruiting coup with Quincy Adeboyejo expected to commit to Tech after decommitting from A&M. The Aggies are replacing him on the commit list with former OU commit Jordan Mastrogiovanni.