1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by rkell87, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    this video has gone viral over night, I watched it at 7 pm yesterday and it had 45,000 views, right now it sits at just under 4.3 million

it is a half hour long so make sure you have some time before you watch.

[youtube]Y4MnpzG5Sqc[/youtube]

also lets not turn this political.
  2. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  3. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    the guy has called peace before and always comes back, doing the same things and worse, he may be beaten right now but until he is caught he can always come back and start again.

also the website has live alerts to attacks by the LRA so yeah watching the video has footage from '03 but you can see that it is still going on today
  4. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,147 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    Yeah. He's a poopie head.
  5. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Anyone know anything about this?

I just started seeing it flooding almost every site I visit now.

From what I can tell so far.

There's a charity called "Invisible Children" who has been accepting donations for a few years in an attempt to hunt down or find some Ugandan dude who basically kidnaps kids, gets them hooked on drugs and then forces them to fight or murder or whatever for him in return for a fix. I guess he's some rebel leader and has over the years taken thousands of kids and forced them into his service.

Any, this 30M documentary-style movie is out and the charity is basically trying to publicize this guy to an extent that he just gets caught. I guess he moves around all the time, I dunno.

But, there's also some people who have figured out that this charity has accepted like 8M in funds last year but like 1/3rd of the money actually made it to Uganda.

Anyone know the real information and not just the rampant social media stuff that is flying around?
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  8. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
  9. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,608 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Here is his response to the criticism

Link

Director Jason Russell shrugged off questions over Invisible Children's operating model and alleged connections to the Ugandan army during an interview with TODAY's Karl Stefanovic.
    A Tumblr blog has pointed out that rather than dedicating their efforts towards on-the-ground charity work in Uganda, Invisible Children spends the bulk of donations on awareness campaigns and operating expenses, mostly in the US.
    "That critic is a high school student in Canada," Mr Russell told TODAY."We are very proud of our model and it's a very unique model, because we believe in the power of educating the Western world."
    Mr Russell also knocked back accusations that Invisible Children was offering financial support to the Uganda military."We don't like war — we want to end war. I'm a pacifist at heart," he said.

More...
  10. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    If you go to Youtube and view any popular or featured video, you will see the comments of those videos filled with Kony spam. That is not viral .. it's spam .. plain an simple. Viral videos are shared, not spammed everywhere comments are allowed. This is no more viral than it would be if the URL was printed on a flyer and placed on the windshields of countless cars.

#reality
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
  12. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,172 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I perfer Scrooge' idea regarding children better.

:)
  13. rkell87

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    it has been #1 or #2 trend in U.S. on twitter for 36 hours and has 15 million views since last night, if that isn't viral idk what is
  14. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    If someone makes a Kermit the Frog video and then a mass spam campaign is activated where a large group of people go to popular sites that allow comments and spam every place possible, of course it's going to become a hot topic on all social network sites simply because people are that easy to manipulate.

As I said, Viral videos are shared, advertisements are spammed. Spam something enough and people can no longer tell the difference and that's what they count on.

Kony is not a viral video. It's the result of a significant effort to spam the net which you will find in the comments of a lot of popular content sites. Seriously, go to Youtube and read the comments of every popular or featured video and you will see a lot of Kony spam and people angry about the spam.

#reality
  15. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,467 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    This movement is not a scam because they were at my school and brought some kids from the area to talk about what they saw and other things. This movement has been going on for a long time but glad to see that it is getting more attention.
  16. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,272 Likes Received
    It would seem to support the guy's claim that the money used in the US is actually being used to further their goal of spreading the word.
  17. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I am not discounting the purpose or content of the video, but rather the idea of it being truly viral which it is not. Something is viral when it is shared among individuals such as this thread. When it is spammed everywhere that allows comments, put up on high traffic sites as featured stories, it is simply advertised and promoted.

If Coca-Cola comes out with a new drink called "Coke Purple" with a neon purple can, then proceeds to inject millions of dollars into a massive online ad campaign and a few days later, every site is talking about it, it was not viral. It was simply heavily advertised and promoted. Sites and organizations that do not have that kind of budget resort to spamming their products, services, etc. in hopes that at some point, others can be manipulated into spamming it for them.

Again, the content and purpose of the video may be sincere and legit. I am simply not a fan of spam and when Kony comments are inserted into numerous popular sites in their content's comments when it has nothing to do with the focus or purpose of the comments, it's spam.

Just to clarify, I do not consider a thread like this that stands on its own and is in the OT forum as spam. That being said, it would not be posted here had Kony not been spammed all over the net previously.

#reality
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,196 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    Reality is right, it's a campaign that's based on spam because it's predicated on contributions from everyone, not just the actual members of the organization. The only real means the public has to spread the word is to spam...

The problem I have with this documentary is that the director makes it about himself. I can't stand that. If it's for a social cause, we don't need to see your face, which makes it about you.

To sum up with a quote from The League - "I prefer the term altruistically self-serving."
  19. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The definition of "Internet viral" is when something becomes so popular on the Internet that it makes it's way in to non-Internet life of people. (ie, a large mass of people not on the Internet are talking about it)

In that since it doesn't matter if it's spammed to the point of becoming viral or naturally becomes viral. It's still viral. As for this Kony stuff. I haven't heard a single peep from anyone that isn't on the Internet about it.
  20. Reality

11,794 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    So every single large advertising campaign that anyone talks about is viral. Got it. I see you have some Apple(tm) in you after all.

#reality