1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Kony Ealy

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Corleone, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I'm starting to think this guy has a very real shot at being our draft pick at 16 or in a trade down scenario but I can't seem to see why he warrants such a high pick based on the videos, games and reports I've seen. He doesn't seem to have much of a burst off the edge. There are people who like him and think he can be a good nfl pass rusher, anyone have any thoughts on him? Maybe I'm just not watching the right stuff.
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,009 Messages
    7,756 Likes Received
    Why are you starting to see him as an option for us if you also don't think he's worth the pick? Is the feeling based on a rumor or something?
  3. Corleone

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    No rumors really, I've just been seeing him linked to Dallas(local guys, mocks...etc) and he was one of the national visits. He's also one of the few supposedly top pass rushers in the draft and I think they may want to focus on replacing him at DE since their best DE right now is Selvie, more than they want to get a 1T or Safety or G/T. It's not my preference but its just a personal feeling I've been getting lately.

I've been looking around the forum for some info about him, trying to get a feel and trying to find some conversations about him so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought.
  4. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,127 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    He's a lot better than people give him credit for. He's Michael Bennett to me.
    Corleone likes this.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    I also think hes better than most will give him credit for. He played a lot of 3 tech and 2 gap DE in college which didn't exactly highlight him as a pass rusher. He does have prototypical size and length and is a good fluid athlete.

However, I agree that his burst off of the snap is only average and wouldn't take him at 16. I think he can be a pretty good SDE and get a team like 6-8 sacks a year, but that's not we, or any team really, should be looking for at 16 overall.
  6. Corleone

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    That was another reason I thought Dallas would be interested, the fact that he can also play some 3T which could be valuable to them if Melton struggles in some fashion, health or otherwise.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Not overly productive in college.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,506 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Ealy has the prototypical size plus weight for a DE in the 4/3, i.e. Greg Ellis...6.4 ht 273lbs and all the work out numbers to be a productive and safe pick @ 16....not a sexy pick but fills a huge need as DE is pretty void for Dallas right now.
    AmishCowboy and Corleone like this.
  9. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,927 Likes Received
    Yes, there are many SDE types in this draft but not many WDE types. Also, they players currently on the roster are all better as SDEs than WDEs, IMO.
    speedkilz88 likes this.
  10. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    he had a very good final 2 years in the best division in college ball. not sure what else he could have done
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    He really does not excite me much. I think they like him as a fall back option and see him playing some at DE but also rotating a little as a three tech on occasion. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. To me he is one of those meh players that probably is picked if the other better players are taken. But maybe they see more in him than most of us and maybe they feel this draft has a small amount of DEs that can contribute early on and they will be taken pretty fast due the the limited number so they take him higher than we think he is worth.

Meh.
    ghst187 likes this.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    His bookend teammate ate DE had a better year on the same team in the same conference. Easy just fits the physical mold more to most NFL teams. I think they also have a much higher ceiling for him.
  13. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,098 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    They played completely different positions. If Ealy would have played Sam's position where he was more or less a pure rushman Im pretty sure Ealy would have had just as good stats.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

61,313 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    Guess I should have put /sarcasm off.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I would hate the pick. Not at 16. I don't know if he'd be my BPA at 36. It would feel much more like a need selection to me.
    Aliencowboy likes this.
  16. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Just read on BTB that apparently McClay LOVES him and that they think Marinelli could "fix" his issues. To me, he is a more polished version of Ziggy Ansah - no huge college production, yet something about him screams "it" and only the best scouts and coaches will get him to reach his potential. To me, he is the biggest wildcard in the draft.
  17. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,281 Messages
    708 Likes Received
    intersting.I think Marinelli will like him too.He might be a fall back option if we cant trade down from 16.
  18. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    My fear is he is right there for us, we pass, and he ends up being a more athletic Michael Bennett and gets 8-10 sacks a year and stops the run. Will he ever make folks forget DWare - of course not. He's not that guy. But, I think he's going to be really good for some strange reason.
  19. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,915 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    He is one of those guys who just needs time in a Pro strength/conditioning program to excel. Might take a couple of years to see him break 8+ sacks. Not ideal for 16 but we need the bodies...
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    A good drafting team should be able to find that guy in the 3rd round. In the first they should be looking for that edge guy that can get you over 10.
    egn22 likes this.