1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Kyle Wilber off to fast start

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by RS12, May 5, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas – When the Cowboys drafted Kyle Wilber in the fourth round last week, they talked about his effort and ability to be in the right place at the right time.

So far through the rookie mini-camp the Wake Forest linebacker has proven to be what was advertised.

“I can jam tight ends,” Wilber said. “I can be physical with wide receivers but I also can pass rush. I have a sneaky inside move and I’m smart. I’ve got a motor on me. I’ll keep going.”

Wake Forest played a different version of a 3-4 defense than Rob Ryan’s version of the scheme. Wilber said he could play behind Spencer and DeMarcus Ware.

“They said it doesn’t really matter now, just learn the whole defense,” Wilber said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4692634/kyle-wilber-off-to-fast-start
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    I like this kid, just hope he can hold up at the weight he plays at.
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,544 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    He'll probably play at this weight this year and put on about 5-10 pounds for next year. He is still fairly young and can now focus on year-round training so he should gain some size.

They list him at 249 but ideally our OLBs should be 255-265 pounds because of all the times they have to lineup over OTs.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Wilber should be able to put on around 10 lbs given his frame. As someone mentioned, he almost looks thin.

Though I think it will take a productive off-season to put on quality weight.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    But you have to see if he can carry that weight too. Will it slow him down? Make him less explosive?

I think he's going to be a good one. Whether he'll be good enough to be a quality starting OLB in a 3-4, I'm not so sure. But definitely a quality depth/rotation guy.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,750 Messages
    10,044 Likes Received
    He couldn't have a better strength coach to work with.

I'm not worried about him adding quality weight more than will he develop enough as a pass rusher to be a starter in this scheme.
  7. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Ditto
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think coming from Wake Forest and working with perhaps the best strength and conditioning coach in NFL history, he should be able to make solid gains.

That said, I don't know if he'll be a starter one day. But I agree with you in that I would expect him to be solid depth at the minimum, and he can make Butler expendable next season in case the Cowboys don't want to re-sign him.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,525 Messages
    182 Likes Received
  10. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    yup...the kid seems to bring a little attitude to the table...gotta love that
  11. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....Woicik probably can get him to 255 ish by September....I mean, that's 4 months away and only 6 lbs.