1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lack of Creativity on Offense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DTK, Nov 19, 2012.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,397 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    That is criticizing him for running the ball. So you want him to not even try to run the ball until the second half?
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,613 Messages
    3,505 Likes Received
    frustrating is an understatement. this anemic offense makes you want to pull your hair out. i've seen zero creativity this year. every single game is the same conservative gameplan, and it takes jason till somewhere in the 3rd quarter to adjust. why hasn't he employed a hurry up once or twice a game to speed up the pace on offense? where are the bootlegs and rollouts? what happened to the screen pass and trick plays? why is every run play a dive btw the tackles? it's like jason lost half his playbook from a few years ago.
  3. baddude

baddude New Member

28 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You are twisting the statistics. The first 3 drives in the Dallas vs Brows game, which took an entire quarter of the game:

1st drive:
    ---------
    1st and 10 at DAL 20F.Jones right tackle to DAL 21 for 1 yard (F.Rucker).
    1st and 10 at dallas 20: Felix Jones right tackle for 1 yard

1st and 10 at DAL 20F.Jones right tackle to DAL 21 for 1 yard (F.Rucker).1st and 10 at DAL 20F.Jones right tackle to DAL 21 for 1 yard (F.Rucker).
    2nd drive:
    ----------
    1st and 10 at dallas 14: Incomplete pass to Felix Jones

3rd drive:
    ----------
    1st and 10 at dallas 20: Felix Jones left tackle for 0 yards

I won't even bother to look at the other games.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,152 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with running the ball or even Garrett's timing of it all that much.

My problem with him running the ball is he trots out 2 TE's and a fullback just about everytime we run the ball.

He could create a lot of natural lanes by spreading out the defense. I guess he was sick that day when Norv went over that.
  5. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,508 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Garretts lack of "junk plays", nor the amount or when he attempts to run the ball.....

What I see is the lack of creativity in doing what all the other teams implement, and that is the quasi pick routes which other teams use to rub off the DB or LB in the playbook......

To having those to rub off the DB combined with a hot route, say Witten rubbing clean the DB for Austin or Dez...

....would go along way toward teams backing off the blitz paks on Romo....
  6. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,508 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Really, ... what was that?

Is there a thread about that, .. I haven't seen one.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    I think there's a middle ground here.

I do believe Garrett needs to be more creative with the offense.

But I also believe that his horrible offensive line and running game really hampers his ability to be creative.
  8. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,769 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    those type of plays take time to develop and need a competent OL. in case you missed it, the OL is horrible. and to run play action...you have to have an effective running game, otherwise who is going to fall for the fake hand off? !!!!

dude. get a grip
  9. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,184 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    I agree, I thought he finally went to basic football 101 in the 2nd half and they started moving in pretty effectively.

It was interesting to see them go to more of a smash route concept, it really put the Cleveland DBs in a bind.
  10. DrunkWithPower

DrunkWithPower Member

166 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Yep...I'd hate to see what would happen if someone gave Dez a stick of gum during the game...
  11. AmericasTeam31

AmericasTeam31 Active Member

1,226 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I saw the complete opposite on Sunday. Even the announcers pointed it out that way.

In the first half, we ran deep patterns vs tight man coverage outside. In the second half we ran slants and quick hitting passes to move the ball downfield. There were no big plays in the second half at all outside of the 30yd pass to Dez down the sideline... In fact our biggest plays were the penalties by Cleveland.

I felt "satisfied" in the fact that Garrett actually adjusted to the pressure that Cleveland was getting on us in the first half. Even though the sacks were evenly split between the halves, I felt like our pass plays were quicker in development and this is evidenced by our scoring drives of 9,8,9 & 8 plays. If we were taking deep shots the whole half, we would not have taken 8 and 9 plays to move down field....
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,162 Messages
    1,791 Likes Received

that is becasue he has a rare disorder that causes him to forget everything learned last week

once he sees the first half, he adjusts appropriately

not his fault

now, since this game is only 4 days later, maybe he wont have forgotten, who knows ;)
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,613 Messages
    3,505 Likes Received
  14. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,508 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Hard to make offensive adjustments for a bad O-line.

If you have an O-line like ours, you are pretty much screwed.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,578 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Garrett definitely deserves his fair share of criticism for how the OL was handled in the offseason.

But at the end of the day, Jerry pays the cheques and drafts the players. And he has a very unique, sly and manipulative way of getting what he wants. Fast, exciting, highlight-making jersey-sellers. No coach, even Bill Parcells, can withstand Jerry's persistent onslaught of bad decisions. Eventually, every one caves to him. It's what he does. He's a salesman.

And I believe he is the major reason our team does not fully invest in beefing up the trenches.
  16. DTK

DTK Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why so rude?? I simply brought up a topic that has been on my mind. Don't like it, don't read it.

I'm very aware of the oline problems. But you can help a running game by having fake reverses, HB screens, WR screens, etc. We've run hardly any of that. My question is why not? Is it the coaching or the players?

Sheesh!! Get a grip yourself!
  17. rlgiv

rlgiv New Member

196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I cringe every time I see us even attempt one of those stupid gimmick plays. Defenses rarley fall for that stuff now days and the potential for loss is pretty high even with a good offensive line.
  18. EchoBrain22

EchoBrain22 beWaredizzle

228 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Where is our screen game? Anybody seen it? Neither have I. The Browns CBs are lining up 10 yards off of Dez and Miles, how about a WR screen every now and then. I don't understand why we don't take what they're giving us. I'm not sure if I've seen a HB screen this season.
  19. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,197 Messages
    1,124 Likes Received
    How many of those were for more than 3 yards, though?
  20. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,603 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    Nothing to do with creativity or , lack of..

Players need to line up , execute and do their damn jobs.

Lack of consistency is a better term here for the offense.