1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lakers sign Matt Barnes and Theo Ratliff

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Goldenrichards83, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice offseason for the Lakers. Get added depth and better defensively.
  2. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barnes was a nice pickup for the Lakeshow. Ratliff is 37 years old though.
  3. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yea he is up there in age however I think he is an upgrade fron DJ Mbenga and still is a pretty good shot blocker.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Yeah, Ratliff at 37 can give you quality minutes off the bench whereas DJ Mbenga shouldn't be in the league.
  5. Christiann

Christiann Active Member

534 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I'm excited about the Matt Barnes pick up, and Theo is definetley an upgrade over Mbenga, our bench is getting better real quick.
  6. kev8822

kev8822 Member

226 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    3 nice upgrades. Blake, Barnes and Ratliff.

Now if we can just keep Bynum healthy.
  7. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barnes is kind of like a poor man's Artest (ok real poor) so that should work out pretty well.
  8. BehindEnemyLinez

BehindEnemyLinez Optimist Prime

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's funny how all of the supposed "Kobe Stoppers" (first Ron, now Barnes, almost Raja) are being recruited by the Lakers! Matty B is a turnover-prone, streak shooter but he will bust his *** when he's playing & should give LA decent depth at the swingman positions.
  9. Number82

Number82 No Helmet; No Problem

593 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Barnes is a really good defender and he'll do the necessary dirty work. I like him more than Artest because he has less of an attitude and he's younger.

Lakers are the best team in the NBA and it ain't all that close. They'd smoke Miami in a best of seven.
  10. BehindEnemyLinez

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Miami gels then LA should expect a run for their money. Chalmers (good, young PG), Miller (3pt shooter), Big Z (soft & slow but a good shooter & passer for a C), Arroyo (more PG depth), Joel Anthony (young, athletic shot blocker), James Jones (good shooter & defender)...they're getting some role players to put around BJW!!
  11. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    If they can "stop" Kobe, then of course Kobe wants them on his team, since if they can guard him they can guard anyone.
  12. BehindEnemyLinez

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well I put it in quotes because none of them did a very good job of stopping him! :laugh2:
  13. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    It's Kobe! He can't be stopped!
  14. BehindEnemyLinez

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Won't get any disagreements from me!!
  15. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    Chalmers is young, I'll give you that. But good? Never heard anyone describe him with that before. Ideally, he'd be coming off the bench for a team... not starting.
  16. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    You don't stop Kobe with an individual player. You stop him with team defense. Boston has it figured it out. Really, with elite scorers, the best you can do is stay between them and the basket and make them settle for jumpers. Its not so much about contesting their shots as it is making sure they don't get open looks/drives to the basket. You live with Kobe taking perimeter shots and taking away driving lanes.
  17. casmith07

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    It's the same way you defend against any superstar player - Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Vince Carter circa 2002.
  18. mannt88

mannt88 Member

73 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kobe Bryant AKA The Goat.
  19. BehindEnemyLinez

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he's CP3 or Nash but he has good quickness to penetrate, a halfway decent outside shot, and now three All Stars to play alongside & pad his assist numbers. You see how much better Rondo looked when he had some better players around him...I expect Chalmers to improve also (not to All-Star proportions, though).

EDIT: BTW, your sig is on point! TW needs to get back to what made him great in the first place & stop messing w/ what once was near perfection on the golf course!
  20. BehindEnemyLinez

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The only thing is KB's jumper is so good that he can kill you with that alone! Damn Black Mamba! :mad: