1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lance Louis OG?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ejthedj, Aug 27, 2013.

1. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    So he's worse than acceptable or fine.
  2. CowboyDiver

CowboyDiver Active Member

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    The cap space is down to about 6.7m per latest click on the sal cap link....the effects of the Lee deal I assume.

The problem with trying to improve guard at this stage of the game is there just isn't much quality out there. I think we are open to try and improve at either spot. If you are accepting Free as a replacement guard, then we are desperate for tackle help. Parnell was awful against starters.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    Wrong!
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,019 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Thing with Livings is, you're going to take his hit this season and next anyway, right? Either way, we're going to have to eat the balance of his guaranteed money during a season when we really need the space. I think that's unavoidable. All things considered, if the guy's unwilling to work and is milking his contract, I'd rather have him gone than have him soaking up a roster spot, too. Plus, the universe should conspire to get rid of players who don't appreciate their spot on an NFL roster.
  5. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Right now there is no one out there except waters that would be better then what we have.
  6. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Right.

First series, first play...he false started but somehow ref didn't call it. That flinch is called every time. Way to start off.
    Second series, first play, pathetic cut block attempt
    Second series, 1st down on the 26, tries to pull, blocks no one
    Second series, 2nd down, completely whiffs goes face first
    Second series, 3rd down, lets LB beat him inside instantly, Romo able to move right to avoid. That is three pathetic blocks in a row.
    Third series, 2nd down, again whiffs and goes face first
    Second qtr, second and goal, whiffs on run block
    Second qtr, third and 1 on Cin 36, whiffs, falls face first, man makes tackle on Tanner
    Same series, third down, gives up instant pressure, Romo has to evade and throw ball away
    2nd and 10 from 12, gets pushed right back into Romo forcing early throw.
    3rd qtr, first series, 2nd down - pancaked!!!! LMAO
    Same series, second and 3rd...not sure *** he was trying
    First and 10 from 31, 6:17...another pathetic cut block attempt
    Next play....misses at both levels.
    Next play, tries to get to second level, face plants again
    Next play, another missed cut block

That was his last play. For the record, the guy he was playing against most of the game, Margus Hunt, is listed as the Bengals 3rd string DE.
    stasheroo likes this.
  7. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Not every one of the bad plays above by Parnell affected the play, but on them he clearly failed his assignment. That is 16 plays out of what, maybe 40 since they just played into the third qtr.
    stasheroo likes this.
  8. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    Wrong!
  9. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    That's the best you got? Wrong?

I've listed the plays that he failed in my opinion. Hairic and Kilyin have the game posted. Why don't you look at the plays and tell me where I am wrong.

Parnell was average at best, closer to mediocre in my opinion. You don't have to like it, but watch the video and tell me that he did a good job on those plays referenced.
    stasheroo likes this.
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,731 Messages
    624 Likes Received
    Lance Louis was playing out of position at OT with Chicago. He is versatile and can play OT in a pinch but his natural position is OG, which is the position that Miami signed him to play. Miami will try to re-sign him on the cheap.

The guy is 6'3 320 and has a 4.7 40. Louis can also play blocking TE, his position in college. If healthy, he is the stereotypical ZBS OL.
  11. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,703 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    I don't anything in the guy's history to even suggest that he would be an upgrade over Bern... not too mention Free or Leary.

No thanks.
  12. xwalker

13,792 Messages
    5,949 Likes Received
    I posted the following sequence a few days ago in response to a blogger that said that Parnell was terrible in the specific sequence:

Here are Parnell's efforts on the offensive sequence after Webb's INT up to the point that Romo was sacked:

1-10 Romo holds the ball for 6 seconds. Incomplete to Witten. Romo almost sacked by stunting DL on the side Left side of the OL. Parnell’s man does nothing but jump up when the ball is thrown.
    2-10 Middle run. Parnell blocks his man completely out of the play.
    3-6 Pass. Parnell blocks his man. No pressure on Romo.
    1-10 Tanner run behind Parnell/Free. Parnell blocks his man completely out of the play and drives him almost to the sideline.
    2-9 Tanner run just off-tackle on Parnell’s side. Parnell drives his man (Geno Atkins) completely out of the play.
    3-1 Parnell’s loses his block. His man is the 1st to hit the RB.
    4-1 Zone type run to the Left. Parnell blocks on the backside.
    1-10 Run to the right. Parnell drives his man completely out of the play.
    2-10 Incomplete pass. Romo holds the ball for 6 seconds. Parnell initially has no man to block but stays aware and prevents a rusher coming from the other side of the line from blindsiding Romo.
    3-11 Parnell keeps his man deep and wide. Romo only needed to take 1 step forward to avoid the outside rusher going against Parnell but Free lost his block and Free's man sacked Romo.

I have the video on Tivo and from Kilyin. I also have the Preseason package from NFL.com because I wanted video that didn't have a split screen when they are interviewing someone during the preseason games. I also have the Coaches Film from last season from NFL.com.

I'm not going to post a play-by-play of Parnell for the entire game. I've watched each of his snaps 10x. The bottom line is that he made some mistakes but he also dominated on many plays. Free has never dominated anyone in the manner that Parnell has demonstrated. Obviously, Free should make less mistakes at OT because he is a seasoned veteran with 55 starts and 65 games played.

In the game in question against the Bengals, Parnell made the above referenced dominating blocks while suffering through a hamstring injury that is reported to cause him to walk with a limp around Valley Ranch.

[IMG]
    Vertigo_17 and whynot like this.
  13. LarryCanadian

LarryCanadian Well-Known Member

1,475 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I might be in the minority, but I still like Parnell's upside. The guy needs REPs in real games, that is what he is lacking. Athleticism and strength aren't an issue, it would seem (and reports concur). He does make mistakes. I think one of Broadus and Mickey really don't have much positive to say about the guy, and one is pretty neutral on him as a back-up. Both are right that Parnell's training camp was a tough one because he was hurt and didn't play above the level of last year, at least to begin with before sitting out time. He's apparently not 100% now, and, as usual, we don't know what we are dealing with in terms of injuries with him truly...

I think this guy just needs reps, but he's older already due to starting football late and having been a project for a few years already....
    This was to be the year he made the big leap. Now, we are changing the offensive line scheme a bit again, with a guy that isn't a long-time football player...

When I have watched him over the last couple of years, he played POORLY when put in as the TE or EXTRA oline (I guess that is called the 12, just using an oline and not a TE). He whiffed a lot or just didn't seem to know his spot. But, I thought he made far fewer mistakes at both LT and RT when he had to fill in. He is inconsistent, but I think that improves with real game repetition....

We don't have a ton of options, barring a decent veteran getting cut, which is highly unlikely and the team has shown a reluctance to spend real money in this area (OT) all offseason and into camp- trying for miracle back up plans like the OT who barely passed his fitness test 3/4 of way through camp...

The thing with Parnell is that he doesn't seem to get pushed back, he just needs to get right position and stay on his man - and that will take a bit more time - just not sure the team has that time, and/or we can afford the mistakes in the meantime - but they just might not have the choice because of lack of depth and too many injury prone/hampered players along the rest of the line.....

Re-watch tape. The guy looks darn good on some plays, and then makes some significant mistakes in others, but those are more mental than a lack of physical ability it would seem....
  14. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'm warming up to the idea of having Parnell at RT (and Free at RG). He defiantly has the size and athleticism, and the GIF posted above shows a bit of physicality :)
  15. onlyonenow

onlyonenow Benched

102 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    when you consider how little experience he has playing football PERIOD, it is reasonable to give him another year to develope.

Virtually every other player we have played 3 years in HS and 2-4 years in College and of course all those practices and such.
  16. CowboyDiver

123 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    xwalker,

The success of a given play doesn't matter when looking at how a player did....if he completely missed his block, but the play goes the other way for a TD, the player shouldn't get any credit because he didn't do his job.

From your sample of plays...here are the ones we both mentioned, yours in red, mine in blue.

Second qtr, third and 1 on Cin 36, whiffs, falls face first, man makes tackle on Tanner
    3-1 Parnell’s loses his block. His man is the 1st to hit the RB.

Same series, third down, gives up instant pressure, Romo has to evade and throw ball away(actually he had to eat the sack)
    3-11 Parnell keeps his man deep and wide. Romo only needed to take 1 step forward to avoid the outside rusher going against Parnell but Free lost his block and Free's man sacked Romo.
    You honestly think Parnell did his job here? Listen to the Moose's commentary. The only reason this play blew up was because Parnell got beat right off the snap.

So out of 10 plays, he had two bad ones...one that caused tackle for loss and another that lead to the sack. And this is what you would probably say was his best series of the game. Mostly against Hunt, Cincinnati's 3rd string DE.

Parnell does have athletic ability. Some say he still isn't healthy. He does at times dominate his man. For the most part...it was Hunt.

You didn't respond about the pancake where he went to pull and get steamrolled. Or the multiple times he tried cut blocks and missed...like completely missed. Or the times he tried getting out to the second level and face planted. He did it more than once. It's all in the plays I listed.

17. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,460 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    I think Parnell wasn't as bad as your post implied nor as good as xwalker's post implied. I have to agree with you that xwalker's is spin-doctoring the play where Romo flopped behind Free if he's really absolving Parnell of responsibility for the sack.