1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lande: Kenny Vaccaro could be a top-5 pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,854 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Russ Lande of the National Football Post suggests Texas S Kenny Vaccaro could be a top-five pick in April's NFL Draft.
    "Everybody has him in the top ten," Lande said. "He’s a ball-hawking safety that can come up and hit and tackle. He’s the real deal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Detroit — if there’s no elite pass-rusher there — Detroit at No. 5 may take him. He’s really good." A first-team All-Big 12 pick in both 2011 and 2012, Vaccaro amassed 107 tackles as a senior and recorded five career interceptions.
    Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch Jan 25 - 8:31 PM
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,854 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I dont see it.
  3. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    im hoping he is there at 18
  4. cbow44

cbow44 Member

594 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Its amazing how much things change once the play scouts get to spend time with the real scouts.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I'm hoping he is there at 19.
  6. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Seriously. I don't get the lovefest.

Since when do ballhawking S's get 5 picks in their career? Especially in that pass happy conference.

5 INT's, 4 FF's, and 1 FR.

I would expect that to be the production from my ballhawking S's senior year. Not from his entire career.
  7. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,898 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    I love Vacarro and he's my favorite Safety in the draft, but there is no way he is a top 5 pick.. He should go in the 15-25 range. Anything below that would be a reach imo.

Think about it. The only two Safeties to go in the top 5 in recent memory are Sean Taylor and Eric Berry, both of whom were elite prospects. Vacarro's a good player, but not an elite prospect.

Borderline elite Safety prospects like LaRon Landry, Michael Huff, and Donte Whitner were all drafted in the top 10, and they were all better prospects than Vacarro coming out of college. I'd be shocked if he goes top 10.
  8. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

803 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Spot on, haha. If most of the media "scouts" had to evaluate talent without talking to any real scouts, their draft boards would be ridiculously off.
  9. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think vacarro can really play the slot. I'm not sure he is a great ballhawk.
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,256 Messages
    3,060 Likes Received
    Lande always has some bizarre rankings regardless of what the Pro Scouts say.
  11. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't see it either. I watched him during his career and he was not as impressive as Earl Thomas or Michael Griffin. Nor did he really show much ability to dominate in the box like Eric Berry
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,879 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    He simply hasn't been a big enough playmaker to warrant that type of consideration.

He has the prototype measurables but he made a lot of tackles coming up supporting a very shaky Longhorn defense after injuries took hold of that team.

He has man to man coverage potential and he can tackle. But he isn't some Ed Reed or Jairus Byrd type.

Probably a poor fit for our new 4-3.
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    he is full of it
  14. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

926 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I echo this sentiment. At 18 I still would not be impressed if we drafted him and would not trade into the top ten to pick his talent level.
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,967 Messages
    5,632 Likes Received
    The only thing I'd say about that is all draft classes aren't created equal. This is a weak one at the top. Whoever goes 1st overall is a reach.

I still doubt Vaccaro is a top 5 pick.
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,394 Messages
    363 Likes Received
    This is a joke,i wouldnt draft him in the FIRST rd,he is not even half as good as earl thomas.
  17. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,676 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    i went back and studied Vaccaro, and on 2nd thought, i wouldnt take him at 18, while he is a good safety, i dont see him worthy of the 18th pick, i think there are other safeties almost as good as him. i think Elam could even be better.

i still think S and DT are huge weaknesses on this team, and hopefully it will be addressed this offseason
  18. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,819 Messages
    303 Likes Received
    I'll sig bet anyone that he doesn't go top five.
  19. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    i hate to say it, but i think its quite possible Vacarro could easily go top 10.
    Case in point: Mark Barron S Alabama, 12 career INTs, only 2 his sr year, goes 7th overall just last year.
    I don't think Vacarro is a top 10 talent but I could totally see him off the board in that range.
  20. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,488 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I hope he is there at 18 . It would be a great pick . Just look at the two teams in the Super Bowl . Each have two awesome safeties .

Pollard / Reed

GOLdson / Whitner

We need help at safety BAD !