1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Landry Line Reset - Why Is It No Longer Used?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by lspain1, Jun 26, 2006.

1. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    During the Landry years, the Cowboys lineman would head to the line of scrimmage and set down, then stand to hide the players behind them, who were quickly changing positions, before resetting (called a "chorus line"). But with the multiple set offense, the opposing team didn't know what was going on in the middle of the play, and who was in what position.

I know this was used to prevent the other team from using tendencies (or keys) to guess the play call. I have a number of questions about the practice and why it is no longer used (or did anyone ever use it outside of the Cowboys)?

I think multiple sets are still used today. I know Bledsoe calls a run and a pass and can check off to one or the other at the line of scrimmage. Does this run vs pass "audible" prevent a multiple set offense? Does a multiple set offense have a place in today's game? Can defensive players be confused about the play if they miss a change in the backfield?
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  3. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

HH, the reset I was talking about occurred on the offensive line. Now, could you explain what you are talking about?
  4. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sorry, I read through the first paragraph and thought you were talking about the defensive line. Edited after further inspection. My bad
  5. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    BTW, the reason they do not do it anymore is because defensive schemes and audibles are much more intricate than they once were. It's not as easy to trick a defense as it once was.
  6. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would think the more complicated a defensive scheme, audibles and all, the harder it would be to run it against a team using multiple sets and concealing movement in the backfield.
  7. Drederick Tatum

Drederick Tatum Member

269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Besides everything you mentioned, it looked cool too. A lot of the younger fans might not remember this, but the O-line would break huddle, come to the LOS to a two point stance, pause a sec, stand up and then go into a three point stand. As mentioned this hid the backfield critical seconds before the snap, gave the linemen a chance to gulp some fresh oxygen, and also looked very intimidating.

I assume with all the reads the QB (and Center, a othe linemen) have to make at the LOS as the game modernized it just became too time consuming.
  8. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It depends on coaches and personel. If you have good players and smart coaches who can identify certain plays/formations and understand what the offense is trying to do, then audibles can be used quite effectively.
  9. lspain1

lspain1 Active Member

4,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also thought it was cool, and part of the Cowboy mystique. The NFL has always been a copycat league and no one copied that move, even when the Cowboys were successful. So perhaps it had no benefit...but it sure was cool.:cool:
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    what I would do would have them stand up for 2 seconds and then hit the 3 point and snap in one second (unless the QB decides to audible. That would give the D only a second to shift. You would have a good chance of snapping the ball and catching the D in the middle of a shift.
  11. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The premise of hiding the resets behind the line was the original thought in using the line reset. However, it never actually worked all that well. The other teams adapted after the first season or two and the practice was continued more as tradition and part of the Cowboys mystique. The practice was discontinued by Paul Hacket when he was hired to be the OC and eventual replacement for Landry. Of course his offense stunk and Landry threw it out. Hacket left in frustration when Landry had still not retired after a couple of seasons but the line shift was never reimplemented.
  12. Drederick Tatum

Drederick Tatum Member

269 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The O-Line Reset and the Flex Defense died the same death
  13. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

24,716 Messages
    998 Likes Received
    Doesnt the O-line reset eventually use more energy therefore making players tired? bending down then up etc...
  14. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The constant up and down resets would have killed Larry Allen by the 2nd quarter.
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,177 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    the best thing about it was the occasional idiot defensive lineman jumping offsides because of it. Lol
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,037 Likes Received
    It didn't back in those days.
  17. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    So you're saying there was no gravity back then? And all this time I thought the first Superman movie used special effects.
  18. DWelch1775

DWelch1775 Couch Warmer

460 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Your probobly right but it does look pretty cool and intimidating.
  19. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The average OL probably weighed in closer to 250 in those days. I imagine that syncronized movement is much harder for a 330# OLman today.

It was cool, though. We used to mimic it in schoolyard games.
  20. Fernando Fernandez

Fernando Fernandez New Member

579 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Awe yesss

Brings back sweet memories...Dave Manders, John Niland, Ralph Neeley, Blaine Nye, Tony Liscio, Rayfield Wright...PRICELESS!