1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Larry Lacewell former cowboys director of scouting, back to directing? Is Switzer Sco

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Persona Non Grata Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,698 Likes Received
    I've already said I wanted Rackley in the 3rd. I was not aware I needed to repeat it ad nauseum in every single thread.
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

22,514 Messages
    2,266 Likes Received
    Two more, coke head.
  3. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,119 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    yeah, i meant to post that in the article i posted, was going to go back and show draft picks switzer, and lacewell did together, but I forgot, but i remember us getting sherman williams,
    thanks for adding that chief

94 draft with switzer, jerry and lacewell
    1. shante carver, bust
    2, larry allen all pro suggested by houck i think
    3 george hegamin, another robert brewster type player maybe bust, so who made this choice Lacewell in jerry ear in 2009?
    4. willie jackson, bust too

95 draft, note just posting first 4 picks
    2 sherman williams, traded our first rounder to tampa bay, whose decision?
    2 kendall watkins, helped us some till he got hurt and fat
    2 shane hannah, another bust at OG, Lacewell's decision?
    3 charlie williams, another special teams player, bust
    4 eric bjornson average player
    4 alundis brice bust
    4. linc harden bust

96 draft
    2 kavika pittman bust
    2 randall godfrey average player somewhat
    3. clay shiver bust
    3 stepfret williams bust
    3 mikeulufale bust

Need I go on? Lacewell stunk to me! And switzer sure was a genius at evaluating talent with the scouts wasnt he?
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,100 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Go take a look at Saint Jimmy's Miami drafts for comparison. And notice how many of Parcells' pet cats and evaluation decisions have become jaw clenching remembrances.

When the top ten of the draft is still close to a 50% success rate, you are going to have a lot of blanks fired.
  5. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,338 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Lacewell and Switzer are football men for many a decade. Nothing wrong with getting feedback from them and Switzer was and is a damn good talent evaluator.
  6. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Just FYI for everyone. Houck really liked and wanted Allen, but it was Tom Ciskowski who scouted him and got him on Houck's radar. The two of them lobbied hard for him.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

598 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    To me this sounds like a Jerry pick. Ciwoskwi and Garrett were against it, so Jerry had to go to his yes men. Why else would it bring them up in his press conference.
  8. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Don't confuse being a good talent evaluator with being a good recruiter. I think that's where Switzer excelled.
  9. cowboyjoe

28,119 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    One thing your forgetting about jimmy's draft in miami and you have to keep in mind when drafting, if you draft lower than 17th or so in each round, your sunk. You need to trade up and get those impact type players. Jimmy was baically picking in bottom of each round,

Remember how cowboys got elite in mid 70s?
    1. too tall jones
    1 randy white
    1 tony dorsett

90s
    1 troy aikman
    1 emmitt smith
    1. russell maryland
    1 alvin harper
    1. kevin smith
    adding number 1 pick deion sanders in 95 through free agency

Now, how many high impact players do other teams fear on this team, and are good high number one picks now
    1. demarcus ware
    1. dez bryant
    1. tyron smith, who i think will be good in time

to me you have to have those impact type players, adding in other players like jason witten, tony romo, miles austin,

did felix jones really do anything last year like chris johnson has? How about Jenkins at CB, no he got the big head after his 2009 season and didnt think he needed to work as hard and it showed

You have to have impact players that teams fear, granted we lucked out with dez,but if dez had played and not gotten suspended his last year in college, we wouldnt have been able to get him,but we got an impact player

we probably got another impact player in bruce carter, just like most likely in time sean lee will be elite with instincts, but you have to have the blue chip players like an aikman, emmitt smith, thats why if player cowboys were trying to trade back up in 1st round friday night, and that player i think was ingram till NE through a monkey wrench in our plans and sold out to the saints

you have to have impact players blue chip players along with other players like a charles haley, darren woodson, erik williams, leon lett, etc.. but you must when you can get impact player blue chips to turn the corner
  10. cowboyjoe

28,119 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    cool :bow: thanks for info chief, i wasnt sure about that, but i knew someone had found larry allen, i myself sent in info on larry allen to the cowboys that year with item saying a man among boys at offensive line
  11. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,289 Messages
    1,102 Likes Received
    I read a quote by Murray where he says he missed 4 games in his career and they were at the beginning. Is he really injury prone or are people just remembering the games he missed?
  12. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

29,038 Messages
    3,161 Likes Received
    So he was definetely a Switzer kind of player.