1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Last one to file taxes wins thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Phoenix, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

6,261 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Just filed...do I win? :D
  2. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,824 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Nope, I file tomorrow
  3. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Im still getting mine ready :laugh2: :laugh2:
  4. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,861 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I filed Thursday. It always takes us a long time because we have to file the ranch partnership's return and our business stuff before we can do our personal stuff, anyway.
  5. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Well-Known Member

1,557 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    And im not filing at all which means i guess i win....at least until the IRS puts me in prison.
    :laugh2:
  6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,709 Messages
    659 Likes Received
    I filed, but haven't paid yet...does that count?
  7. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I lose.....I have filed mine and already have my refund
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,422 Messages
    7,234 Likes Received
    Same. Refund was direct deposited almost two months ago.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,604 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Same. My taxes where filed the first day you could file.
  10. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,663 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    If you owe money then paying at the latest possible time is the best use of your money so you do win. =)

I have a tax professor that hasn't yet filed his taxes for tax year 2009, and the government owes him about an $8,000 refund from that year. I like to tell him he needs to go back and review the time value of money chapter from our accounting textbook. :laugh2:
  11. Phoenix

6,261 Messages
    846 Likes Received

That's why I waited till the bitter end to file, because I knew already I'd be owing... :(
  12. Sam I Am

31,604 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    Get a good tax guy and he can set you up (calculate proper withholdings) where you never owe when you file. (I don't mean one that will cheat on your taxes)
  13. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,861 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    a good tax guy should explain to you that with the nature of inflation, you want to owe the maximum amount that doesn't produce a penalty.
  14. Sam I Am

31,604 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I know exactly what you mean, but to most people; (people living check to check) that becomes a bad idea. The safest thing to do is pay what needs to be paid without owing or getting a refund each year.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,568 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    While inflation and time value of money make cost-free borrowing from the government attractive, I think most people would just rather not have the psychological impact having to come up with a large sum of cash immediately every spring to pay the tax man.
  16. Phoenix

6,261 Messages
    846 Likes Received

It's not that...it's that Life Events during the year meant that I knew what was waiting for me on Tax Day due to losing a house to foreclosure, new job, moving, company not withholding state tax, things like that...
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,536 Messages
    3,463 Likes Received
    I always file the extension...so it will be many months for me.

The estimated taxes paid are always close enough that I don't get penalized for waiting.

Give us a much lower, but flat, income tax (12-13%) and get rid of the loopholes!
    You would get far less free-loaders on both ends of the tax scale and revenues would go up.

The US has the most progressive tax code in the world--the low end rates and high end rate are radically different....yet some say they need to be even further apart (carzy, imo). Not enough people pay taxes on the low end (30% pay NO tax) so there is no ownership whatsoever in spending. Far too many on the highest end don't pay enough due to loopholes (not due to rates being too low).
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Noticed a mistake in my return this weekend, so now I have to file an amended return. :mad:
  19. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,883 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Then you might win after all.:D
  20. VietCowboy

VietCowboy Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.

2,918 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I did it about 2-3 weeks ago, for myself and my parents. This is the first year I can't be claimed as a dependent, so my parents felt it on their taxes owed.