1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lawmaker Says Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Rights to Detainees

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    A senior Republican on the House Intelligence Committee is accusing the Obama administration of quietly ordering the FBI to start reading Miranda rights to suspected terrorists at U.S. military detention facilities in Afghanistan.

The move is reportedly creating chaos in the field among the CIA, FBI and military personnel, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich. The soldiers, especially, he says, are frustrated that giving high value detainees Miranda rights -- the right to remain silent, the right to an attorney -- is impeding their ability to pursue intelligence on the battlefield, according to a story first reported by the Weekly Standard.

"What I found was lots of confusion and very frustrated people on the front lines who are trying to, well, make Afghanistan successful for the United States and its allies," said Rogers, who serves on the House Intelligence Committee.

Rogers, a former FBI special agent who served in the U.S. Army, just returned from Afghanistan and a visit to Bagram Air Base, where he said the rights are being read.

"I witnessed it myself, talked to the people on the ground," he said. "What you have is two very separate missions colliding in the field in a combat zone. Again, anytime that you offer confusion in that environment that's already chaotic and confusing enough, you jeopardize a soldier's life."

U.S. commanders told FOX News soldiers are not reading Miranda rights to detainees, but those commanders could not speak to whether the FBI was doing so. The practice has not been instituted at detention facilities in Iraq or at Guantanamo Bay, according to U.S. senior military officials.

Asked if the Obama administration had ordered that Miranda rights be read to certain detainees, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said, "I have no reason to disbelieve a member of Congress. But I don't know any of the circumstances that are involved around it."

But Gibbs acknowledged that it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that it was happening.

Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd denied there has been a policy change covering detainees.

"There has been no policy change nor blanket instruction for FBI agents to Mirandize detainees overseas," he said in a statement, adding, "While there have been specific cases in which FBI agents have Mirandized suspects overseas, at both Bagram and in other situations, in order to preserve the quality of evidence obtained, there has been no overall policy change with respect to detainees."

Some senators wonder what would have happened if Khaled Sheikh Mohammad, a self-confessed architect of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, had been read his Miranda rights.

"I'd be very concerned if we're sending FBI agents over to Bagram Air Base in the middle of a military operation to start reading Miranda rights to detainees caught on the battlefield," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,048 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    I really really wish they would stop taking prisoners.
  3. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    406 Likes Received

Quit bringing them back to base to interrogate.
  4. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And once again, the right wing creates a tempest in a teapot, without bothering to check the facts...

The fact is, it was BUSH who started the policy of reading terrorists their Miranda Rights, Obama is just continuing the policy... he's doing so because this is one of the few wise things that Dubya did... consider this, as reported in an admittedly liberal website by the name of the Anonymous Liberal:

So, the purpose of reading detainees their rights is to ensure that any information they get from those detainees can be USED at a trial... wow, how completely idiotic of Obama...

Note also that the FBI got practically identical information to what the CIA got with Dubya's "aggressive interrogation" techniques, without waterboarding, without sleep deprivation, just by good old standard interrogation techniques... this further proves that torture is UNNECESSARY, what you need is skilled interrogators...
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,048 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    I really really wish they would stop taking prisoners.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    well it's a damn good thing the vast liberals won't make something out of nothing for their own gain!
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, you are helping perpetuate this tempest... The original article itself states, basically what your anonymous liberal states, - that it is instance specific (9/11) and not a general rule on the battlefield. Two sides fighting over nothing.

Though I'm with zrin, stop taking prisoners. Don't sweat future info just allow your enemy to see that you are willing to carve a path through them regardless and they'll react accordingly. All they're doing is using our civility against us.
  8. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Again you are wrong. Bush did not have them read the Miranda rights. Why make stuff up? They read them something similar. Why don't you post what was read to them instead of the garbage you posted?

Why do they deserve the rights enjoyed by Americans? They are trying to kill us. You are completely off your game today.
  9. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    yep. that's why i have less of a problem taking the fight their level at times and that's a judgement call from person to person what that would be.

if we play nice, they don't. if we keep it up, they kick it up.

sometimes you have to fight someone on their terms, not yours.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Leftists like silverbear want Osama Bin Laden to have the same rights and protections as American born citizens. Pathetic. He and others that share that view make me ill. I have family and friends that have fought and died defending our country and he wants the terrorists to get a lawyer and a trial like they are Americans. Why people like this want to extend American rights to people that would gladly chop their head off on TV is beyond me. I guess that is why I am not a leftist.
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Plenty seem to think this should be handled as a criminal investigation, not understanding the differences between war and criminality.

We should just stop taking them in. Period.
  12. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,389 Messages
    578 Likes Received

This is all about adapting. You cant reason with people that dont want to be reasoned with, you dont play nice with people hell bent on dying for their cause.

I agree with Ice and all the others that say, if you want to rid or lessen terrorism, fight on their terms. They want to use tactics to make us on the front line so they can hide and shoot us. Okay fine, now we'll hunt you down like dogs and just take you out of the game.

I'll pit our ground forces to weaken their armies and then our special ops to hunt them down and finish the job vs anything they have.

War is simple, you engage, you engage fully with intent to finish off the other person, either submission or death. In order to survive you must adapt.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,837 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Kill em all. Let god/allah sort them out.
  14. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh NO!

The FBI read detainees their rights!

terrible!

I thought detainees were untermensch, I thought they were subhuman bolshevik jewmuslims, so not deserving of the rights and priviledges of a good American citizen?

When are we going to accept the fact that we Americans are better humans than they are???

You know what we should do?

We should setup some kind of LABOR CAMP for these bolshevik jewmuslim untermensch!
  15. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats right, they should be killed en masse and then fed into crematoria. Just like the Reich did it.
  16. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats the spirit!
  17. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

We should kill them where they stand. We should kill them even if they raise the AK above heads to surrender.

We shouldn't take prisoners so that punk crybabies can moan and lose sleep over how terrorists should be treated better.

You know....those like yourself.

You and I should party sometime. Can you imagine the fun and conversations we could have? :cool:
  18. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received

SIEG HEIL, baby!

[IMG]

19. WarC

WarC Active Member

1,521 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lest We Forget

[IMG]
  20. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When it comes to killing terrorists? All day and everday baby.

2x's on Sunday