1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Lesnar to Cowboys? - DMN.com

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Lord Sun, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Lord Sun

Lord Sun New Member

573 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gerry Fraley, Dallas Morning News

The Cowboys must make one more acquisition before training camp begins: former collegiate and professional wrestler Brock Lesnar. He has given up wrestling for football, and agent Ed Hitchcock said the Cowboys are among several NFL teams that have expressed interest in attending a full-scale workout by Lesnar. He won the NCAA heavyweight wrestling title for Minnesota in 2000 and turned down an offer from then-coach Tony Dungy to sign with Tampa Bay, instead joining World Wrestling Entertainment. At 26, Lesnaris 6-3, 290 pounds with remarkable speed and agility but has not played football since high school in South Dakota.

Don't laugh: Collegiate wrestlers have made it in the NFL. New England offensive lineman Stephen Neal, who beat Lesnar in the 1999 NCAA final, did not play football in college. Curly Culp, the prototypical nose tackle, won the title in 1967. Pro wrestlers have made it, too. Who can forget AFL standouts Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd and "Chief" Wahoo McDaniel? And "Dick the Bruiser" Afflis, who played with Green Bay? The sight of Lesnar leaping into his "shooting star press" move would unnerve any quarterback.

Coach killers: One reason for the Cowboys' unexpected success last season was that no one played more teams that had given up the ghost. The Cowboys had an NFL-high seven games against teams that fired coaches during or after the season. Philadelphia had the second-highest total, with six. The Eagles went 6-0 in their games against endangered coaches and players who were quitting on them. The Cowboys were 6-1 in their games.

Bigger is better: If Bradie James moves out Dexter Coakley at weakside linebacker with the Cowboys, it will be because coach Bill Parcells needs more big plays from the position. Coakley had only one sack and five tackles for losses last season. Undersized linebackers, such as Coakley, go as hard as they can to stay even. They do not overwhelm.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cool!!! If our burgeoning venture into major league baseball fails we can start our own wrestling league.
    Are you ready to rummmmmmble????
  3. BadKarma

BadKarma Active Member

1,067 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, isn't that for boxing...lol. Great...a wrestler! I wonder what roy jones is doing???
  4. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and let him give it a go, nothing to lose. Neal is a good story.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh hey, I all for it. If he can actually play and he is not some long term project and he doesn't cost much, sure, bring him into camp.
  6. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd give my right leg to see Lesnar F5 Owens right on top of the star. That would bring a tear to my eye :D
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,700 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    The first time I see Lesner give a QB an F5 I'm going to lose it. That will be the funniest damn thing I ever will see in my life. I can hear the announcers now "what the hell was that?" :D
  8. billknows

billknows New Member

790 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It must be getting closer to football season, Board has me rolling on the floor laughing.
  9. Letemburn

Letemburn Member

787 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i would actually like to bing him in, i know if i was a qb in the nfl and saw him coming at me i would piss my pants
  10. thor_01

thor_01 New Member

451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he is defensive end and tackle with sublineman speed clocked anywhere from 4.4 to 4.5's and brother i am all for anybody who is that big and can run like that..........

before it gets started read those times in the minnesota tribune before his first workouts up there when he was just playing with the idea he would try the NFL......
  11. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,884 Messages
    3,030 Likes Received
    He might just be able to do it in 2-3 years
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,520 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    If Lesner F5's Owens on the star, I could die shortly after a very happy man.

I say bring him in. He's got the physical tools to play. It's just a matter of being able to stay healthy, and learning to make those tools useful on the football field.

ALso, why not bring in The Rock to play DE behind Ellis? Or Stone Cold Steve Austin to play LB behind Dat Nguyen? We can bring in The Big Show to backup Larry Allen. Kane looks like he'd be a solid DT/DE as well. :D
  13. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,648 Messages
    1,453 Likes Received
    It certainly can't hurt to bring this guy in but I am surprised at the number of people who actually think this could pan out. Huge 'could' IMO.

He'll find out soon enough that it's the NFL, where the guys are bigger than he is, and know exactly how to play football, not lift weights and act like a tool on tv.

I personally would like to see someone else take him and then watch the guy get is a$$ handed to him.

That's just me though.

:D
  14. Mattsdad

Mattsdad Member Zone Supporter

592 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Lesnar is a 'freak of nature' from a physically-gifted perspective IMO. He could really help a team in a year or 2. Why not take a chance.
  15. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree Sarge...Can we all say NO CHANCE?

I also highly doubt he can run anywhere close to a 4.4 forty...

Now if he could? Then maybe he could lose 25 pounds & play MLB and run a 4.2?
    ;)
  16. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    He ran a 4.6 time in the 40. That's still not bad, but I still am skeptical.
  17. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't watch wrestling and if Lesnar walked into my home right now and did whatever a L5 is to me, all I would be able to ask is, why in the heck is this big guy pummeling the h*ll out of me.

That being said, I think it is possible he could turn into a decent football player. He's got more of a football background than Christian Okoye. Okoye had never played football until he came to the U.S. for college. Like most of us Lesnar probably played the game since he was a kid. The only reason he probably did not play in college was because he was such a great wrestler.

And remember Olympic and collegiate wrestling is not the same as the WWE (why did it change from WWF?). I would rather lineup against Larry Allen in his prime any day, then go against one of those "real" wrestlers. Allen would just steam roll me, one of those guys can turn you into a pretzel.
  18. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    World Wildlife Fund sued because they have been going by WWF for many years. They won and the WWE evolved out of the loss.
  19. jay cee

jay cee Active Member

2,900 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Thanks Hostile. that's pretty funny. I liked it better in the old days when wrasslin' was regional. Here in Houston we would have Ernie Ladd, Wahoo McDaniel, Jose Lozario, and quite a few others working this area.

I remember once when Lozario suffered a "broken arm" and had to rehabilitate, so he could not wrestle for a while. Well we went to visit my grandparents in Louisiana, and there he was wrestling on an Atlanta broadcast.

That was too funny.
  20. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,000 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I would love to bring him in. The scenario in which I would put him in goes like this. Laroi Glover is a great "3" tackle, but he will be 30 this year. Not saying he is anywhere near finished, but a team always has to look towards the future. With Lesnar's size, he would not only have the tools to be a very good DE, but a great "3" tackle as well. Name a guard n this league that could single-handedly block someone that is that big, yet that quick. He is definitely worth looking at.