1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Liberals Go After Fox News Advertisers

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ConcordCowboy, Jul 28, 2007.

1. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Liberals Go After Fox News Advertisers

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=270395&affid=100055&silentchk=1&mpc=2

Liberal activists are stepping up their campaign against Fox News Channel by pressuring advertisers not to patronize the network.

MoveOn.org, the Campaign for America's Future and liberal blogs like DailyKos.com are asking thousands of supporters to monitor who is advertising on the network. Once a database is gathered, an organized phone-calling campaign will begin, said Jim Gilliam, vice president of media strategy for Brave New Films, a company that has made anti-Fox videos.

The groups have successfully pressured Democratic presidential candidates not to appear at any debate sponsored by Fox, and are also trying to get Home Depot Inc. to stop advertising there.

At least 5,000 people nationwide have signed up to compile logs on who is running commercials on Fox, Gilliam said. The groups want to first concentrate on businesses running local ads, as opposed to national commercials.

"It's a lot more effective for Sam's Diner to get calls from 10 people in his town than going to the consumer complaint department of some pharmaceutical company," Gilliam said.

Some of videos produced by Gilliam's company compile statements made by Fox anchors and guests that the activists consider misleading, such as those that question global warming.

Representatives for Fox News Channel, which is owned by News Corp., did not immediately return calls for comment.

Home Depot has not had an unusual number of calls, said spokesman Jerry Shields, and the home improvement chain will not change its advertising strategy.

"We're not in the business of censoring media," Shields said. "We need to reach our customer base through all mediums available."

Groups like the Sierra Club have targeted Home Depot because they believe it's inconsistent for the company to promote environmentally friendly products while advertising on a network that has questioned global warming.

The groups seem particularly angry at Fox's Bill O'Reilly, who has done critical reports on left-wing bloggers.

On July 16, O'Reilly said the DailyKos.com Web site is "hate of the worst order," and sent a reporter to question JetBlue Airways Corp. CEO Dave Barger about the airline's sponsorship of a gathering run by DailyKos.

He'll never ride on JetBlue again, O'Reilly said.

MoveOn.org is campaigning against Fox because it says the network characterizes itself as a fair news network when it consistently favors a conservative point of view, said Adam Green, the organization's spokesman.

"We're not trying to silence anybody," Green said. "Rush Limbaugh has a right to be on the air — he admits his point of view. Fox doesn't."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  2. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Lowe's pulls advertising from O'Reilly show

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/7/27/205510/101

Fri Jul 27, 2007 at 05:59:06 PM PDT

A reader emailed Lowe's about their ads on O'Reilly's show. They got this response:

Replied On 07/27/07 15:41:09

Dear Lowe's Customer,

Thank you for your comments regarding the program, The O'Reilly Factor.

Lowe's has strict guidelines that govern the placement of our advertising. Our company advertises primarily in national, network prime-time television programs and on a variety of cable outlets.

Lowe's constantly reviews advertising buys to make certain they are consistent with its policy guidelines. The O'Reilly Factor does not meet Lowe's advertising guidelines, and the company's advertising will no longer appear during the program.
    We are dedicated to providing the best service, products, and shopping environment in the home improvement industry. All three of these are very important to our business, and our customers will always be our number one priority.

We appreciate your contacting us, and hope this information addresses your concerns.

Thank you,

Lowe's Customer Care
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Well turn about is fair play I guess.

Bill Oreilly has been going hot and heavy after the Daily Kos site the last week or so.

Personally I don't visit the daily kos so I don't know if it is as bad as he claims or not. However I did see Colbert make fun of bill.

I DO watch Bill a few times a week and he was saying that the Daily Kos is like the KKK and Nazis.

Colbert said something along the lines of, yes the kos is like the nazis and KKK for letting people express unpopular views in an open and free way. :laugh2:

Plus let us not forget that Bill has time and time again has encouraged people to boycott this or that.

How about the time he tried to get people to boycott france because they would not join us in the Iraq war.

He even got busted in a lie saying that they DID effect france's exports to the USA according to the Paris Revue business magazine (or some magazine)...later it was found out that there was no such magazine.

I have no problem with people boycotting things. Actually I think it is a great idea for citizens to display their problems with a company.

However Bill has called for it so many times that maybe it is karma now.
  4. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've never have even heard of the Daily Kos before this...But anyone who gets O'Reilly is OK by Me.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    I never heard it before Bill talked about it over the past week.

You know it has probably increased their traffic a great deal. Bill got JetBlue to stop sponsoring...well giving I think 10 ten tickets to Daily Kos on his show so turn about is fair play.

Bill irritates me with how he goes about things. He even cut ANOTHER persons mic the other night because they said he even has hateful comments on his forum and they had proof of it. He said they remove them when the see them but cut the persons mic hahaha.

I like when he gets caught in lies.

However I will say this. And it further goes to show how bad the bush admin is getting. Even Bill is talking bad about the bush admin compared to his love fest from before.

So I know when an ardent supporter starts turning around that they, bush admin, is going overboard.

So bill annoys me with his lies and spinning (which is funny because his motto is the spin stops here), but I also agree with him on many issues. Just don't care for his attitude.

BY FAR the worst person on fox is Hannity. He is such a shill that I think he even has to shake his head with some of the things he says.
  6. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Anybody that sticks up for the Bush Administration at this point I just have to shake my head at.

If O'Reilly is FINALLY seeing the light good...Althought I'm sure he's come back to his senses.

Fair and Balanced?:puke:
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,170 Messages
    4,348 Likes Received
    Mr Green - Every time I turn on Fox News I hear them proudly proclaim that they are fair and balanced. Isn't them admitting their point of view?
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,467 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    Fair is fair. Fox isn't "news" at all.
  9. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Are any news channels worth the air waves they're broadcast over?

I don't watch FOX News, CNN, MSNBC, or any others. I'll read the news items and choose for myself the issues I'm interested in, where I can review both sides, rather than it be chosen for me.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Neither are CBS, ABC, NBC etc
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,170 Messages
    4,348 Likes Received
    Not even close.
  12. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a native-born Alaskan, I'll let myself run out of gas before I'll pull into an Exxon station... it would have been different if they'd done the right thing after the Exxon Valdez incident, but they dragged their heels... so now, I'm in a VERY long boycott of them...

I read on the Huffington Post yesterday that in reaction to O'Lielly's attacks on the Daily Kos, one of the HuffPo bloggers found on post on Bill's website that was a veiled threat against the life of Hillary Clinton... he reported it to the Secret Service, and now those folks have an active investigation of Bill O's website... that one definitely made me LOL; he complains about the extremist posts on the Daily Kos (I've never been to that site, may have to check them out), then it turns out that there's some real nut jobs posting on HIS site...

Which is the way of the blog, making his assault on the Daily Kos all the more asinine... but we already knew he was a loud-mouthed fool, didn't we??
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Um, the leftard anti-American extremists at Kos didn't "get" anyone. You and Brain are just too dense and consumed by hate to know any different. Earth to fifth columnists: Lowe’s pulling their advertising from The O’Reilly Factor is old news and has nothing to do with the Kos thugs.

From February 2, 2007:

Home-improvement chain Lowe’s has pulled its advertising from The O’Reilly Factor following comments host Bill O’Reilly made about Shawn Hornbeck, the 15-year-old Missouri boy who recently returned to his parents after four years in captivity.

In other words, this was a done deal long before the JetBlue controversy. Sorry, wack jobs, but it seems your gloating is unwarranted and undeserved. Looks like you got caught telling yet another LIE. Same as it ever was.
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's actually the best-known and most frequently visited of the "liberal" websites... they have an annual convention that attracts the Who's Who of the left, the Yearly Kos...

So naturally, it is the most hated of websites by those on the right, particularly those on the far right... it is, of course, nearly as propagandistic as similar websites on the right, so you don't want to rely on any of those sites for all of your political input...

The funny thing about the call for liberals to monitor Faux News and call sponsors threatening boycotts is that most liberals can't stand to watch that channel for more than about ten seconds, LOL...
  15. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It would be if they WERE "fair and balanced", but what they really are is a right wing propaganda organ, nothing more, nothing less...

The most glaring example of this has been referred to in this thread, some of their hosts' penchants for cutting the microphones on guests who are saying things they don't care for-- guests THEY invited on the show...

That alone demonstrates that they're not really into "fair and balanced" but rather in giving voice to their chosen agenda, a right wing agenda...

Faux News is by far the worst news operation I've ever seen... I call them the right wing Pravda of news shows... and Bill O'Reilly is a card-carrying putz...
  16. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right, they're all bad, but I have a different approach-- I try to catch a little bit of all of them with some regularity... Faux makes my blood boil the way Rush Limbaugh used to, but if you're gonna argue with the mindless droids who get all their news from right wing sources effectively, you really need to know what those right wing sources are saying...

And like I've said, the left wing sources aren't a whole lot better (perhaps not any better, they just don't bother me as much)... I frequent the Huffington Post with some regularity, and often find myself nodding my head in agreement with I'm reading, but I also often find myself asking "are they SERIOUS??"

I guess to get really "fair and balanced", you need to include both ultra-right and ultra-left media sources in your input... h*ll, I even make the occasional jaunt over to Newsmax, and if Hitler were alive today, he'd say those folks are out there... :banghead:
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tell me about it. The censorious leftists can't stand FOX because it's beating their brains in the ratings. Do they understand why FOX exists? Because the rival, "establishment" networks are uniformly liberal and hopelessly subservient to Democratic agendas and talking points. CBS, ABC, NBC, CNN, PBS, and NPR are every bit as liberal as FOX is conservative. Anyone who doesn't concede this empirical fact is either delusional or a liar.

And no, conservatives are not the only ones who have noticed. An excerpt from RasmussenReports.com's "Americans See Liberal Media Bias on TV News," the July 13 rundown of the network news portion of the poll, of 1,000 adults conducted July 11-12, posted last Friday:

By a 39% to 20% margin, American adults believe that the three major broadcast networks deliver news with a bias in favor of liberals. A Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that just 25% believe that ABC, CBS, and NBC deliver the news without any bias.

Similar results are found for CNN and National Public Radio (NPR). By a margin of 33% to 16%, Americans say that CNN has a liberal bias. The nation's adults say the same about NPR by a 27% to 14% margin.

There is one major exception to the belief that media outlets have a liberal bias -- Fox News. Thirty-one percent (31%) of Americans say it has a bias that favors conservatives while 15% say it has a liberal bias.

When it comes to delivering news without bias, 37% believe NPR accomplishes that goal. Thirty-six percent (36%) say the same for Fox and 32% believe it's true of CNN. As noted earlier, just 25% believe the major broadcast networks deliver news in an unbiased manner.

But wait, it gets worse. An MSNBC.com investigation last month identified 143 journalists who made political contributions from 2004 through the start of the 2008 campaign, according to the public records of the Federal Election Commission. Most of the newsroom checkbooks leaned to the left: 125 journalists gave to Democrats and liberal causes. Only 16 gave to Republicans. Two gave to both parties.

It's pretty safe to say that said donations reveal political bias, no? This validates the point conservatives have made for years, if not decades. The people who write the news, who edit the content, and who decide what makes it into print or on the air have an almost unanimous affiliation with the Democratic Party. In a nation where 34% of voters affiliate with Democrats and 30% with Republicans, 90% of journalists that donate to political parties donate to Democrats. And libs have the nerve to scoff at FOX's "fair and balanced" slogan. They wouldn't know "balance" if it hit them with a 2x4, and their whining about the FNC will rightly fall on deaf ears.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    As long as you agree that Fox is indeed right wing bias I have no problem with it.

However I know people who will actually argue until they are blue in the face that Fox news is NOT bias.

Funny stuff.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,628 Messages
    1,572 Likes Received
    What I find is funny is that brain and company find it hard to admit the left wing bias of MSNBC, CBS, etc. So where is YOUR honesty?
    I have looked at the Daily Kos- which is apparently more then some posters have here that dismiss charges against it. Its garbage and sick garbage a lot of the time. But like most liberals, you guys refuse to admit your side is every bit as bad. Actually, Bill is probably more accurate then just about any big time media guy around. WHICH is not saying all that much, but I notice that the libs here have no one they can point to that is anywhere near as good.
  20. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,063 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    I agree with you Brain the Fox is right wing biased. I'm actually a contractor for Fox News, have been for 5 years in the small small music radio division (foxallaccess.com).

However I know people who will actually argue until they are blue in the face that CNN, NBC, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NPR news is NOT bias.

Funny stuff.

One of my best friends is a hard core left guy, we argue about this stuff. He claims all the the above mentioned networks are fair and Fox is right wing whackos that no one wants to hear, of course he can't explain the obvious incorrect (Fox manipluates the ratings somehow) ratings that show Fox killing these guys in ratings.

To me, Fox is right biased and I have no problem with that because the others are left biased and each side deserves their own podium.

Of course it seems to me that Fox has debates more often with liberals on their shows arguing their side. I don't see right wing people on the other networks giving any airtime to express their views or argue their case.

Like I say to Neal, you can't stand Fox and never watch them, so how can you be more informed on what and how they broadcast their News. I hardly watch the other Networks so he can say the same about me.

But in his mind he doesn't have to watch Fox to understand they are bad, although he concedes that I know nothing about the others because I don't watch them as much as he.