1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lieberman ‘on McCain short-list’

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Danny White, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really can't believe that McCain would be this stupid, but you never know.

I heard last week that Rep. Eric Cantor (VA) was getting serious consideration. As is Portman (OH).

But if I had to put my money on one guy, it'd have to be Gov. Pawlenty of Minnesota.

2. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,661 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Why is he stupid for even considering Lieberman? Hell,had Joe Lieberman been the Democratic presidential candidate four years ago,I would have voted for him instead of GW.
  3. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because Republicans -- in droves -- would refuse to vote for McCain.

I think it would lead to an epic drubbing.

I'm curious to see how many Republicans here on the board would vote for a McCain/Lieberman ticket.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I respect Lieberman. Like McCain, he never gave up on our mission in Iraq, but this ticket would only make sense if McCain were a conservative. He isn't, so he can't afford to be "exotic."
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,214 Messages
    1,336 Likes Received
    Have to agree with bb. If McCain had a safe reputation with conservatives he could do this; but he doesn't. Bush Sr found out what happens to a Republican candidate if you piss off the conservatives. McCain is no dumby; he will pick someone conservative for VP.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,041 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    die hards maybe.

but would you gain back the middle "undecided" in droves for stepping across the lines and not just giving it lip service and hoping my side beats your side in the same fight for the same thing. again.

i'd be more inclined to like mccain if he did this.
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Generally speaking, you add a veep to increase your chances of winning an important state or region. I'm not even sure a Bush/Lieberman ticket would carry the state of Connecticut for the GOP.
  8. iceberg

28,041 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    probably not. but i'd like to see the shakeout. : )
  9. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I may be wrong on this... I tend to run with a crowd that is more "conservative first, Republican second" ... but I think a Lieberman pick would completely and pretty much irrevocably split McCain from the conservative base.

It may win him some middle-of-the-road votes, but I don't see how a Republican candidate could expect to be elected President without locking in Republican support.

I also think he would have a very difficult time governing (if he won) after pulling a move like that. Lieberman would have no pull whatsoever with the Dems after that, so I don't think it would win McCain brownie points from the Dems... and McCain's support from the conservative wing from the party would be seriously damaged.

Again, I don't think it's going to happen... I think McCain is just floating this as a possibility to make himself seem more like a consensus builder.

Like I said before, I'm predicting Pawlenty with Cantor as a dark horse.
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oops. Make that McCain/Lieberman.
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received

What kind of conservative is Pawlenty? What are the high points as Minnesota Governor?

I think the Liebermann thing would be a bad idea as well. But I don't like Lieberman much as it is anyway. It would be odd to see him kill the campaigns of two different parties' presidential candidates though...
  12. iceberg

28,041 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    you're probably right. there are a lot of people out there who stay among party lines of familiarity and simply won't see beyond it. this way or no way.

i like the idea of tweaking the noses of those people but yes, that carries a price of making it harder to work with them and if in the end both alienate their bases, the challenge of being effective just went through the roof.

i've voted nothing but repub since the reagan days. but i like liberman and his commen sense approach i've seen from him. granted, i've not made a life study of the man but my impression of him was favorable.

i don't see things (anymore) as conservative, liberal, repub, democrat, neocon and the like. i see a group of people that need to find a way to work together and use their differences as strengths, not barriers.
  13. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,681 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I like Joe Lieberman.

He is a very good man.

But he is not a Conservative.

If Obama gets Powell to be his vice President ...... then watch out.
  14. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Look who's talking. McCain is what, about 5'6" or so? He should just lay off Lieberman.
  15. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's more conservative than McCain, I'd say, but not a die-hard that's going to get conservatives excited and mobilized.

When you're looking at voting blocs, I don't see who he really helps with, because he doesn't have an easily-identifiable ideological constituency.

He is pro-life, which is good, and generally socially conservative.

He was raised Catholic, but has recently become an Evangelical.

He shares some of McCain's "maverick" traits, including his acceptance of global warming rhetoric and is supportive of the government doing certain things to "rein in" global warming.

The two biggest things in his favor is that he's from a potential swing state. And second, he's been loyal to McCain all throughout the primary process.

I don't hate him as a choice, but I'm not wild about him either. The main reason I'm predicting him is that I've heard several McCain people talk him up and I've heard his name mentioned too often now to think it's a smokescreen.
  16. iceberg

28,041 Messages
    1,060 Likes Received
    ya know, this took me a bit. but i got it. : )
  17. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,979 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    I humbly disagree. Just the other night a buddy of mine said "why not add Lieberman?"....and this guy is very far right politcally.

My guess is that Obama is far far left of Lieberman that it would not pull votes from McCain. Personally, I'm not sure it would be the right move though.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,979 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    lol

Would they be the shortest ticket in history?
  19. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I may be wrong on this one.

I know one thing, it would make my choice a lot easier!

[IMG]
  20. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Do you mean Colin Powell? :)

Oh, yeah. Watch out!