1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Little Disappointed in Danny Watkins

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Jan 29, 2011.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm rewatching the game and focusing on a few players of interest (Danny Watkins, Von Miller, Sherrod, Brooks Reed, Jeremy Kerley, Phil Taylor, et cetera).

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in what I'm seeing from Danny Watkins thus far.

I'm seeing a guy that can absolutely stonewall you on a straight bullrush, but he's repeatedly (I've counted three times so far in the first half with 5 minutes to go) being beat by the club/swim moves by the North's defensive linemen.

I do like that he gets to the second-level on a lot of the runs so far.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Yeah, he's definitely not perfect. I saw him hold a couple of times but I am going to go back and watch the game later tonight.

What'd you think of Taylor in the game?
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I might be a little bias (I started a thread about him about a month ago), but I think there is something to him.

He's a lot quicker than you might think for a player his size and has a great rip move. He's been moving the pocket and being disruptive.

Case in point, there was a play where Brooks Reed got a sack late in 2nd QTR (before the half) where he came in off the edge (making Castanzo look bad....again). Reed got the sack, but it was Phil Taylor who completely pushed the center, Fusco, 5-yards backwards and out of the way, pressuring Stanzi (QB) in his face.
  4. BlueStarDude

BlueStarDude New Member

55 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, he had a rough game. Really up and down as I recall. From memory I'm thinking he played well at LG and terrible at RG. Did you see that in re-watching (I already erased my recording, but I replayed most of the plays as I watched to see what different players were doing).
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,871 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    you would thing that switching sides for a guard would not make that much difference but it does. That always surprises me.
  6. WDN

WDN Benched

426 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If he was perfect he would of been considered a top pick.
  7. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,340 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I hate old rookies.

No interest.
  8. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,160 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Newman was an old rookie.

Wasn't great, but someone to consider still in the 3rd round.
  9. The Realist

3,340 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    That's the only thing they have in common.

I'm pretty sure Watkins isn't a consensus top 5-10 pick.

I'm fairly certain Newman wasn't 27 as a rookie.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,054 Messages
    2,297 Likes Received
    I'd rather get James Carpenter and move him to guard.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Chad Hennings came in as a 27-year old rookie after being drafted in the 11th round.

I wasn't advocating taking Watkins in the first two rounds, but I thought he may have made a viable 3rd round pick. His performance in the Senior Bowl was a little disconcerting.
  12. The Realist

3,340 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I have no problem taking Watkins in the 11th round.

Then we can have two 28 year old guards with no experience with him and Bright.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    Watkins is still a legit 3rd or 4th round player.

He is a good enough athlete to start in the NFL but his technique needs work. He was constantly reaching and tugging yesterday. he is a better inline player than pulling player as on basically every pull he held in some fashion.

Again as a 27 year old rookie he is unlikely to move forward athletically but his technique will improve.

Phil Taylor won me over though. He is a big old boy who moves well.
    That would be a much preferred r3 pick to me.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm reading now that P Taylor could push himself to the end of Round 1/early Round 2 if he comes into shape at the Combine and addresses some of the other off the field concerns adequately.

As it stands today, and given RR's scheme, I would seriously consider Taylor with our 2nd Round pick as well.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Oh another thing I wanted to add on Watkins and it isn't related to his play.

Quite often I saw him stepping in after plays to help his backs up or other guys, if there was a pile he had no problem wading in an making sure his guys were fine and not getting roughed up. He helped guys if their shoulder pads slipped over their jersey's and so on

I really liked seeing that. He hasn't been with these guys a week and was already doing all those little things you see guys do after going through seasons together.

Again not a big deal but worth noting, I thought.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,903 Messages
    1,502 Likes Received
    I'd hate to spend 40 on Taylor who I think is a part-time player but big bodies do raise like crazy:(

He has big on lock... lol. Once the senior bowl noise dies down and the juniors are all factored in I think Taylor is low r2 to high r3. He won't be burning up the 40 times:)