1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Livings - comments from Bengals board

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wimbo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Whiskey Cowboy

Whiskey Cowboy Member

221 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    ?????

Bigg was pretty good for us until age caught up to him.
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,871 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    I think the same,Callahan seems to have a major hand in the 2 guards we signed.I am interested to hear what his philosophy for our O-line is going to be,we have some athletic linemen who can really excel in zone if given proper coaching.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,435 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    These two guys are here just in case we do not get DeCastro
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,060 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I like Decastro but I really like the idea of drafting Fletcher Cox as well. Probably more.

Ware Hatcher Ratliff Cox Spencer

Yes please!

My pipe dream is that Coples will fall and such a nice dream it is.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,680 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    I lived in Cincinnati for 6 years. Trust me, they don't. They went into every season thinking they were going to win the division.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,554 Messages
    4,841 Likes Received
    We do need defensive linemen, that is for sure. If this is a means to that end, so be it.

It is still a very questionable signing.
  7. rathalarge

rathalarge Active Member

1,602 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    :lmao: :lmao2:
  8. Alexander

24,554 Messages
    4,841 Likes Received
    I could say the very same thing about Dallas fans.

This fanbase actually defended the likes of Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson tooth and nail.

Fans are not always reliable, but when you see an almost overwhelming response to the negative, how are you supposed to react? Assume they are all wrong?

Their fans had a very steady diet of this player for three years and started wondering if he had nude pictures of the ownership in his possession. We have all seen that kind of player in Dallas, have we not? Were we all not laughing at Chicago picking up Roy Williams a year ago?

Assume someone asked you about Alan Ball. What would you say? You would be just as negative about him as these Bengal fans are about Livings. And I am sure there would be a Vikings fan that would dredge up Dave Campo's glowing comments about Ball as support to make themselves feel better.

All you are seeing right now are a bunch of Dallas fans trying their best to reduce dissonance by trying to convince themselves that Bengal fans do not have a clue.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,060 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I had an issue with center and not so much with guard. Don't get me wrong Kosier was slow to react to some stunts and get overpowered from time to time but Holland was steady i thought.

Costa OTOH was just terrible. He spent every few plays on the turf because he has to lunge to be able to hit people due to his t rex arms. the Redskins, Giants and Eagles just abused him.

With OG and kosier,Arkin, Nagy, and the new guys I am not too freaked out. We still have Costa out there though and that does bother me. Then again rolling Kenyon Coleman out there to eat turf on down blocks does not do much for me either.

DE and C are our two biggest needs atm.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,522 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    I hope so.

That would make me feel better about it.
  11. EJ Blue

EJ Blue Member

265 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't know man, when someone stinks, the fans are the first people to let you know.
  12. Alexander

24,554 Messages
    4,841 Likes Received
    Our history is that once we invest resources (i.e. money or draft choices) into a position, we consider it "fixed".

So, consider the OG position fixed for at least the upcoming year.

Still feel better about it?
  13. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,485 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Alex Barron Part II?:eek:
  14. speedemn

speedemn Member

75 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Relax guys....this is a great signing ....the guy is awful terrible and can't and will not meet expectations but he was a starter and we signed him to big money that will roll over to more cap space next year.......bravo jerry....

Don't forget jerry is a business man first and it's not the first time he's pulled this off...id bet he has a pro formance claus in his contract ....take that roger goodell I want my 10prepper million back.....lol
  15. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,039 Messages
    793 Likes Received
    That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just not going to put any stock, at all, into the opinions of fans of a team that a player is leaving. Those are the least objective opinions you'll ever find.
  16. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,522 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received

:storm:

Not anymore.

Thanks.
  17. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,464 Messages
    150 Likes Received

I agree. Our fans bash every former player and act as if he was never worthy of playing in the league.

"Livings isn't that bad of a pass blocker as some make him out to be, which is why they signed him, for Romo who got beat up last year. Sure he had a few bad plays pass blocking, but Whitworth also had some too in that category as do most lineman out there. And since they have some good running backs, his run blocking inability won't be as noticed as much as it was here."

This is probably the only quote selected that seems to show a fan who is stepping back and actually judging him instead of just following the crowd. If the guy was THAT BAD, there is no way we would have paid him what we did. Clearly the staff thinks he fits in well and has more promise than what we have currently.
  18. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,680 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    Well, Bengals fans were saying the same thing about Mathis last year, when he left for Philly. One fan even commented about how Livings started over Mathis. Our pro scouting department has done really well as of late. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: Sorry, I think I quoted the wrong post.
  19. Goku

Goku Benched

388 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i honestly think we could have gotten this guy weeks from now way cheaper.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,312 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    We are talking about a team that had Evan Mathis on the bench for 3 years.

What exactly were Bengals fans saying about Mathis when he signed with the Eagles last year?

And for the love of all that is holy stop crying about DeCastro as we were never going to draft him anyways.

The Bengals have let all their free agents walk and aren't signing anyone. How do you expect the mood to be on their site?

The best news is we play Cincy next year. That poor team has ownership which makes Jerry seem like the best in the NFL. They can't get ahead because they just let guys leave if they do hit in the draft. The Bengals shop for players at Sam's Club.

Livings graded out well in pass blocking and poorly in run blocking and his overall OL metrics were middle of the road for OGs. We got him for basically a 2 year 6 million dollar deal. It isn't like he got 19 million guaranteed.