1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Looking at our next seven games

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboys=SuperBowl, Oct 9, 2013.

1. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    The point is Romo didn't have to make a critical play at the end of that game to secure a win. All the pressure was on Brees to respond and he choked with Ware strip sacking him on the Saints final drive. The pressure of trying to go undefeated got to Brees and the Saints. They were probably better off losing or they may have folded under the undefeated pressure like NE did in 07.
  2. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    What in the world is a significant spotlight game? Where can I check Romo's stats for these games on ESPN?
  3. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,252 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    Funny, isnt that about the time Garrett took over?

Seems like Romo was winning division titles just fine till Red showed up.
    tantrix1969, Red Dragon and Coy like this.
  4. Beast_from_East

14,252 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    But you are blaming Romo for the receiver stop running. Thats my whole point!!!

You make a statement that Romo cannot win the big games and when he throws what should have been a game winner, the receiver stops. You then point this play out in your original post that this is proof that Romo cant deliver.

You are contradicting your own argument now. You are acknowledging that the receiver hesitated, but still blaming Romo for not getting the win. How the hell is he supposed to catch his own ball?
    Carharris2 likes this.
  5. Beast_from_East

14,252 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    LOL...............I know, right.

Its sad that folks have to start making up names for games they think Romo blew.
    DanteEXT and Red Dragon like this.
  6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,552 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I'm cool with 4-3. 6-5 isn't a bad start going into the 'soft' part of our schedule.

9 wins will win the East and possibly 8 can get you a wildcard.

Look at it like this.

North: Green Bay/Chicago will both make it one way or another.
    West: San Fran/Seattle '' ''
    South: New Orleans has it wrapped up - Falcons, Panthers and Bucs are done.
    East: Basically comes down to Washington and Dallas fighting for the East because I don't see a wildcard team coming out of our division this year.
    Red Dragon likes this.
  7. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,839 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Na, but something like 80% of lotto winners go bankrupt.
  8. Beast_from_East

14,252 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    Dont count Philly out yet, they are only 1 game behind us.

That week 17 game against Philly might be for the division title.
  9. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    No I'm not blaming Romo for Crayton hesitating on his route and I'm not blaming Romo for not getting the win you're just putting your own spin on my comments. Romo didn't play his best game that day and neither did the rest of the team. Some of you are just looking to create arguments.
  10. CowboyFan4Eva

CowboyFan4Eva Active Member

561 Messages
    227 Likes Received

Romo did go to cancan or something like that........

I know, I know.....that wasn't the reason they lost. Players take vacations all the time instead of being at the facility setting a tone for the rest of team.......happens all the time.....they are grown men just doing a job.
  11. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    He didn't win the division in 06, 08 and wouldn't have won the division in 2010 had he remained healthy. The team was going down hill when Wade was here which is why he got fired. The team hasn't gotten any better since Garrett took over because he isn't the right guy.
  12. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Romo went to Cabo with Jessica Simpson and a few other players with the blessing of Captain Cupcake. Never heard of players especially a starting QB heading to Cabo during the season prior to a playoff game. Another poor decision by Romo.
    Sarge likes this.
  13. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Another thing I've noticed about Romo is although he's a scratch golfer even in that sport he can't pull off the great shot or make the critical putt when he needs to. I think he had a chance to win the American Century celebrity tournament one year and he yanked his approach shot in the water on 18. lol His said golf helps him deal with pressure I haven't seen any indication of that. He's played with Tiger wish some of his ability in the clutch would rub off on Romo.
  14. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,160 Messages
    558 Likes Received
    You might be on to something there.
    Carharris2 likes this.
  15. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,737 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    As I said, varying levels of competition.

The 07 Bills team may not have been a great team but Romo still led the team to 9 points in less than 4 minutes. He could have just folded and tossed his 6th INT but he didn't. Instead he left it up to Payton Manning to toss a 6 INT game a couple weeks later in SD.

In '09 it was still a 1 score game late in the game and Romo had the ball in his hand. You've asserted Romo "folds in critical moments during significant spotlighted games" as you claim why didn't he turn the ball over? Trying to hold off Brees and the Saints in a one score game late is a "critical moment". Was it not a "significantly spotlighted" game after the fact?

Again, the 1st Giants game in 2011 when did he fold with that ill-timed turnover? If that's what he does then when did it happen? (the best you can do really in that game is the Austin incompletion but there's no consensus as to whether it was a bad throw or bad route. More of what you want to believe)

The second game against the Giants in 2011 was far from a Romo fold game yet somehow you try and make it out as if he did. You once said
    So an early turnover is a-ok but an incomplete pass early in the game is the sign of a guy that folds? That Romo strip sack occurred with less than 2 minutes to play down THREE scores. How is that "ill-timed" with the game on the line? That game was 99.9% decided at that point. That was save face on the scoreboard time.

It's painfully obvious at this point that your newly created "significantly spotlighted games" is only going to include games that fit your criteria you've created in your mind (or even in the case of the last game in 2011 you will attempt to shoehorn it in). Any other game you'll just make excuses for them as to why they don't count.

In 2011 he leads come from behind victories late in SF and at home against Washington with fractured ribs. I'm not going to ignore those accomplishments and solely focus on his 3 INT in a loss to the Lions the next week and proclaim he folds in critical moments with ill-timed turnovers. Why? Because SF and Washington were SIGNIFICANT games that season. Without those wins your "spotlight" game to end the season is nothing more than a regional FOX afternoon game. In 2012 I'm not going to ignore the opening game against the defending SB champs on the road where Romo converted a 3rd and 10 with a 13 yard pass to allow Dallas to run the clock out with kneel downs in a one score game. That's a significant game in the spotlight. Without a fold. Nor will I ignore the Cleveland and Cincy games where Romo didn't fold. Just because they weren't primetime games does not make them insignificant. Without them you don't get your dream primetime "spotlight" game against Washington. You have another regional game on FOX playing for nothing.

The fact is that Romo has made "GREAT-TIMED" plays AND has made "ILL-TIMED" turnovers in games at critical moments. I chose not to ignore the positive plays even if they came early in the season when it's painfully obvious that without them the Cowboys are not playing for the playoffs at the end of the season.

And before you get two excited, I realize and understand the flip-side to that is those early season losses also contribute to making the late season games needed for the playoffs. Which is why I consider all games, all season to be significant. I don't assign more or less weight depending on the month.
    Red Dragon likes this.
  16. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,575 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Exactly. If you play well for most of the game, you won't have to put together a critical game-winning drive in the game's last moments. That's the whole point. A good quarterback doesn't seek to put himself in a position where he has to put together clutch drives at the end of the game; he seeks to play so well for the first 50-55 minutes of a game that his team has such a large lead that he won't have to put together a clutch game-winning drive at the end.

The fact that Romo didn't have to make a critical play at the end of the 24-17 victory over the Saints is something to be credited in favor of Romo's good play in that game, not against him.
  17. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,575 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Yeah, I was being snarky, sorry.
  18. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Romo played outstanding for 58 minutes vs Denver last week but still had to put together a critical game winning drive in the final moments. The NFL today is an offensive league where the rules promote scoring. It's hard for any defense to keep a team down who's being led by a premier QB. All QB's are faced with having to put together clutch game winning drives ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. It's when a team has their backs against the wall in the final minutes and has to put together a game winning drive that you find what kind of team and QB they have. It's easy for any QB when they have a comfortable lead late in a game it's only when they have to put together a game winning drive with the clock running down that you find out if they have what it takes to be a championship QB.

You're not going to win a championship with a QB who keeps turning the ball over in critical situations when big games are on the line. The fact that Romo didn't have to make a critical play in the final moments vs the Saints in 09 is to be credited to Romo and the team but you just said it's something to be credited in favor of "Romo's" good play. You never mentioned the "team" the team is only mentioned when Romo plays poorly or screws up late in a game. When the Cowboys win FANS give Romo all the credit and when the Cowboys lose even if it's because of a critical Romo mistake the "team" gets all the blame.
  19. KJJ

10,404 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Romo has shown clutch ability in less critical games during the regular season which is a big reason he gets the choker label for not being clutch in the games that matter most. If what he pulled off vs SF in week 2 of the 2011 season he could have pulled off in a playoff game it would have gone a long way into changing the negative perception many have of him.

If he can be clutch in less critical games than why can't he be clutch in the games that matter most? That's the issue with him. Bringing up Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and other premier QB's who've won championships and using their poor games as examples to try and defend Romo simply isn't going to work.
  20. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    What again is a significant spotlight game?

I still desperately want to know.

ESPN search yields nothing.
    Red Dragon likes this.