1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by bodi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. bodi

bodi Active Member

399 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Entering the week, my top defensive tackle prospect participating this week was Louisiana Tech DT Justin Ellis (6-2, 351) and he hasn't disappointed so far. He used his active hands and quick feet to beat blockers during drills, putting spin moves on Oklahoma's Gabe Ikard and also steamrolling him on a few occasions. To no surprise, Ellis weighed in as the heaviest prospect here at 351 pounds and he uses that girth well to bully blockers and surge through the line of scrimmage.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/east-west-shrines-biggest-player-ellis-expands-skills/2161242

His challenge this week is to show coaches and scouts how much he can do with his massive frame to disrupt opposing offenses. His first three practices for the West squad have been an impressive showing of his power.

"There are great guys from all over the country here, so you can get that NFL feel, what it's going to be like at that level," Ellis, who had 48 tackles and 5½ for losses as a senior playing for former USF coach Skip Holtz, said Wednesday.

Ellis was listed at 357 pounds on Louisiana Tech's roster and weighed in officially at 351 for Saturday's game but said his goal is to put himself in shape to play at 335, if not lower. His strength is a given, so he's focused on showing athleticism and a burst of speed at the line of scrimmage, lining up in practice against elite program stars such as Oklahoma C Gabe Ikard.

"All my life I've been the strongest person on my team. I'm pretty powerful in the weight room," said Ellis, who has been training in Houston since the end of his senior season with other draft hopefuls.

I use late roiund picjk on this kid

[IMG]
  2. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,298 Messages
    603 Likes Received
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,814 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    5. DT Justin Ellis, Louisiana Tech - Do not typecast Ellis as a run defending nose tackle because of his size (6’1.5/351). Ellis is an upfield disruptor who wins with upper body strength off the line and lower body push to keep his opposition on skates. The Louisiana Tech product is actually quite nimble on his feet, exhibiting a variety of counter moves, including an inside spin move. The combination of the two put Oklahoma’s Gabe Ikard on his back in one on one drills.

Ellis can improve with his run defense, but that will be a natural progression once his pad level and hips drop in these situations. For this reason, Ellis could play a similar role as Star Lotulelei this season if he ends up in the starting lineup: three technique in base sets and moving to the one in obvious pass rushing situations.