1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Love the pick!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ufcrules1, May 8, 2014.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    Enough with the Manziel teams who needed QB badly passed on him why because he is over hype small QB with small hands this is not college. Johnny Football is way over hyped and Dallas would have been a joke to take him. All this bridgewater and Maniel talk and yet the NFL teams passed up both until late.
  2. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    While our line was greatly improved, we were not a gangbuster running to the right. Free is probably an average to slightly above average pass blocker but running he is does not have strength at the point of attack. He blocks for a stalemate. If anything this pick can make the right side much stronger at the point of attack whether its berny and martin or martin and free. I hoping the former and not the later because martin is a step up from berny, free would still be the weak link in the running game to the right side.
  3. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    True but then Murray is not really an outside runner as he is a between the tackles type runner and with Frederick and Martin if front of him I would expect this fits Murray to a tee
  4. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    I disagree completely. Doug Free is a free agent in 2015. Leary has bad knees and is a restricted free agent. Not to mention QB isn't a position of need either, and that was your initial premise.
  5. jrumann59

3,942 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    I agree but Free is little more than a speed bump in run blocking. A little exaggeration but he does not blow his guy off the line and does not sustain blocks well in the run so with that combination his guy is still capable of making the play. He blocks more like a TE in the running game get in their way and slow the defensive player down enough that the play is by them.
  6. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,535 Messages
    262 Likes Received
    I like this pick too. Zach Martin is actually older than both Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

I only point this out because if we hit on Martin like I feel we did on the first two guys, we are nearly set on the oline for a decade.

Just a sound football decision by the Cowboys last night IMO.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  7. Doomsday101

77,031 Messages
    2,820 Likes Received
    Hard for an outside guy to make the tackle on an inside run when all Free has to do is stalemate the guy and frankly I don't think Free played poorly last season.
  8. jrumann59

3,942 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    No he did not pay poorly but he is at his ceiling, he is what he is. If Martin is better than him at RT I would be content with Martin at RT, if not and Martin is better than Berny or Leary at OG then so be it. The Martin pick lights a fire under 3 "incumbents" which in the end is good for the team. Martin has more upside than the guys he may be replacing.
  9. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Martin is a Day 1 starter, again - if he is as good as Frederick you take him all day long @16. I think he is even better than Chance Warmack or Cooper and everyones 2013 Want List.

How can you be disappointed for not landing Cooper or Warmack and still be disappointed with Zach Martin is pretty much inconceivable but it's out there.
  10. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    He actually has the largest hands of all the top QB's.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,977 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Free was very good last year which was a surprise considering he was THE WORST at his position in the entire league in 2012. I wouldn't count on him for jack squat but you never know.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,129 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    This just simply needs repeating. The change in philosophy at VR this year is unbelievable and something no one saw coming. I'm very encouraged.
    RW Hitman and ufcrules1 like this.
  13. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

1,700 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    It would have been even more worthy of repeating if it didn't come from someone who was lying through their teeth and was on their hands and knees praying Jerry would take Johnny Football...:p
  14. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,977 Messages
    1,301 Likes Received
    Yes, something is for sure changing and for the better. I'm very excited about the change I'm seeing, I just hope it lasts, because if so, Dallas will be a strong contender in a few years. After almost 2 decades of heartbreak, we are loooong over due!
  15. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

724 Messages
    489 Likes Received
    Love it too. Sometimes the best picks aren't "need" picks. You don't leave "A" players on the board and take "B" players just to fill a need. Period.
  16. Animosity

Animosity Active Member

432 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I would have been even more pleased if we drafted Johnny Football. What a wasted opportunity.
  17. sadams

sadams Well-Known Member

1,203 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    I noticed that also. They slammed the phone down disappointed when they called in the pick. I think they were nearly done on a trade with someone and the suitor got cold feet and backed out. BUT I still like the pick. Solid choice. Stuck to the board and made a good pick despite not apparently getting what they wanted.
  18. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    wasnt a position of need? hmmmm
  19. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,545 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    I thank God we passed on JF, finally Jerry is learning.
  20. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,779 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    I think having a good center makes the entire oline better, including Free.