1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

LSU-Alabama an old-fashioned showdown

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Doomsday101, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — The LSU and Alabama showdown promises to be a throwback of old-school football.

Both the top-ranked and barely-tested Tigers, and No. 2 and mostly-unchallenged Alabama are built on power runs and run-stuffing defenses in a time when spread offenses are en vogue and huddles are optional.

"If you want to see 1970s smashmouth," Alabama tight end Michael Williams said, "then this is what you want to see right here."

Yes, Saturday night's game will have a retro look to it.

The vintage philosophies make this one reminiscent of an old Oklahoma-Nebraska or Alabama-Penn State clash. And like those teams, this year's edition of the Crimson Tide and Tigers — both 8-0 with five Southeastern Conference wins — have racked up double-digit victories.

But neither Alabama's Nick Saban nor LSU's Les Miles is bringing the wishbone back in fashion.

Hitting, and hitting hard, well, that is certainly allowed — even mandatory.

"It's a type of game that ... you don't necessarily see too often nowadays," LSU offensive lineman T-Bob Hebert said. "It is a little more old-school, so I think that'll be something fun to watch for the fans."

http://news.yahoo.com/lsu-alabama-old-fashioned-showdown-155824794.html
  2. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Geaux Tigers
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    Roll Tide!!!!
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    As the article suggests... I absolutely love the fact that neither of these teams use the stupid spread.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Clearly the 2 best teams and one of them won't get a title shot because of the system.

Go BCS!!!! You're AWESOME!!!
  6. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly!!

Roll Tide!!!
  7. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    The season's over tomorrow? Damn, I wanted to see if the Horns improved the rest of the year.
  8. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I hope it is a 0-0 tie
  9. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    You think the loser of tomorrows game still has a title shot if Stanford / OK State are undefeated?
  10. jimmy40

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    you said Clearly the 2 best teams and one of them won't get a title shot because of the system.

Go BCS!!!! You're AWESOME!!!

where does that say anything about anyone else being undefeated?
  11. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,839 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    No way in heck - and it would be a travesty if they did.

Okie State has the clear inside track if they can win out. Most computers already have them at #1, they'll definitely jump tomorrow's loser and stay ahead of that team in both the people and computer polls.

Now having said that, the interesting thing would be would the loser of tomorrow's game still have a title shot if Stanford and OSU both lose, while Boise State and Houston stay undefeated? Houston doesn't have a rat's chance of making the championship game but I wonder how the BCS would treat an undefeated Boise State.
  12. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    i REALLY hope its a spanking, i dont even care who wins, people are making such a fuss about this game i hope it disappoints (it would also help boise state's chances)
  13. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Are you really failing to put this together?

Alabama & LSU are #1 and #2 right now.

They play tomorrow. Someone will lose.

Whoever loses will not get a shot at the title if OK State and Stanford are undefeated.

If Alabama and LSU didn't play each other, it's likely neither of them would lose and they would both go to the title game.

Therefore, one of the top 2 teams in the country will lose a chance at the national title tomorrow because of the BCS system that will punish them for losing to the other team.
  14. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    The same way they have in the past.

Just as they did a few years back when somehow the #3 team played the #5 team and the #4 team played the #6 team.

As far as OK State getting a shot if they win out, they probably will.
  15. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,472 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    I have tix to the BCS title game.

Geaux LSU!!
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    So, as someone who doesn't keep up with exactly how the computer rankings work, how far will the loser fall? Say Bama loses a close game... Common sense says they shouldn't fall far losing to the #1 team in the country.

If they fall very far, it'll be a shame. They are clearly the two best teams in the country IMO. Thought it might be fun to see the loser destroy Stanford, for instance. (Or can that not happen because of the weird way the Rose Bowl works?)
  17. jimmy40

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    failing to put what together? You said the loser had no chance. Now your saying the loser has no chance if OK State or Stanford go undefeated. Why didn't you say that in the first place?
  18. jimmy40

15,205 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Say Okie State loses to Oklahoma
    Stanford loses to Oregon.

Then what? OU goes to the BCS Championship after losing at home to a 20 something point underdog?
    LSU/Alabama loser goes for a rematch?

Boise has no chance in hell.
  19. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    the computers dont take into account margin of victory, but i heard a BCS expert say on TV that if alabama loses they have almost no chance to make it to the title game because they would have lost at home, and they will be heavily penalized for that. if LSU loses they have a shot

thats not true, boise has a pretty good chance to make it if all that happens. most likely if all that happens, it will be a toss up between OU (despite what you said about them and how true it is) and boise. like i said earlier, it looks like LSU is the only team that could make it if they lose, and it would have to be close for the pollsters to vote them in
  20. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is their shot at a national title and both teams know it. It is kinda like the basketball tournament where one loss knocks you out. Do you think the winner will mind not having to play the loser again? I doubt it.