1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Lubbock dust storm

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Oct 18, 2011.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    [YOUTUBE]wfuDFEZYHTE[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...3zC1uA?docId=7f3e18d75130431d81d83f697b1f25e5

Dust storm roils through Texas South Plains

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Winds gusting at more than 70 mph churned up a dust storm that roiled through the Texas South Plains during the Monday afternoon commute.

Dust kicked up by westerly breezes ahead of a strong cold front restricted visibility in Lubbock to about 5 miles all afternoon, said National Weather Service Lubbock meteorologist Matt Ziebell.

That was nothing compared to the 8,000-foot-high rolling dust cloud that moved through the city just before 6 p.m., dropping visibility to between zero and less than a quarter of a mile, Ziebell said.

North winds gusting as high as 74 mph had begun forming the dust cloud about 100 miles north of Lubbock around 4:30 p.m., he said.

"It went from light to dark, just like that," said Lubbock convenience store clerk Alma Williams. "I've never seen anything like it. It really scared me."
  2. Dawgs0916

Dawgs0916 Will the Thrill

2,194 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Definitely the worst one I've seen during my time here
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    My mom and dad both went to Tech and used to talk about walking to class with a damp rag over their faces just to breathe. Crazy stuff.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I thought this thread was about a minor league baseball team...
  5. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,334 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    It could have been about a high school team in Houston.

:muttley: