1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MacMahon: Jerry Jones ignoring the real issue

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    If owner was really serious about change at Valley Ranch, he'd step down as GM

The more things change at Valley Ranch, the more they stay the same.

Jerry Jones sure has followed through on his vow to make folks out there uncomfortable. Running backs coach Skip Peete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan already have been kicked to the curb -- or beach, in Ryan's case. Ryan's guys have been told to go ahead and interview for other gigs in case whoever is hired as defensive coordinator doesn't want to keep them. The offensive assistants can't feel too secure, either, with Jerry on a postseason power trip.

Head coach Jason Garrett, who might or might not still have a say on who makes up his staff, might get his play-calling duties revoked. His opinion doesn't seem to carry much weight in the matter, at least not as much as what Jerry hears from his good-ol'-boy advisory committee of outsiders. The process of turning a man with a spine into a Jerry puppet apparently takes two seasons without a playoff bid.

Garrett will definitely head into his third training camp "in charge" -- and quotes are necessary there now -- with the hottest seat in the NFL.

Too bad someone can't turn up the heat in the general manager's office.

The fact that Jerry Jones won't even consider stepping down as general manager makes him the NFL's biggest hypocrite.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...jerry-jones-too-stubborn-consider-stepping-gm
  2. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    This is the story of the offseason. Not my fault if it's like Groundhog's Day. It looks like Jason Garrett has lost whatever power he had, if he had any, and we're back to full-Jerry.

This complete lunatic has decided what the team needs right now after 17 years of failure is more of him.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Whether or not Garrett is a puppet or not is not the important issue.

The important issue, as McMahon points out, is that everyone over the years has been accountable except for the GM. 128-128 record with different players, coaches, schemes, scouts...same GM and Ownership.

THAT is the problem.

And people can drone on and on about how Jerry just takes the info he is given and decides from there.

Well when you know the guy owns the team and is the GM...Chances are if you want to keep your job you are going to start catering to what that guy wants...even if it is a slight lean towards things he prefers in players, coaches, attitudes or schemes or anything else. Sad thing is in the end after catering to what the boss wants...it is you who gets fired for doing what he wants.

So even if for some reason Jerry makes a good call...it will just be seen as the same old Jerry messing with things. You can't hold everyone else accountable without holding yourself accountable when you have a 128-128 record. There should come a time when you realize you are either the problem or a major part of the problem.

I wonder if Jerry has realized that and just thinks he can change it or turn it around without stepping down...or I wonder if he really does not realize he is part of the problem.

Either one is disturbing.
  4. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    Whether Garrett is a puppet is pretty important since he's going to be the head coach next year. Can't win with a puppet.
  5. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,741 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    He has gone full Al Davis.

Of all the people in the world, why did Jerry Jones have to buy my favorite sports team.

Thank God hockey is back. It will take my mind off of this mess.
  6. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    I'm waiting for the franchise savior, the great Stephen Jones, to talk some sense into him.

Any day now.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,376 Messages
    2,001 Likes Received

that would be funny if it werent so sad
  8. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

120 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We've got to wait him out folks.

Stay healthy.
  9. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    You can have a Puppet HC like Campo or one who was not a Puppet like Tuna.

End of the day the results are about the same.

Until Jerry steps down as GM or completely changes his ways as GM...I don't care what kind of HC you have...because that is not the real issue here.
  10. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    You didn't see a significant difference between Campo and Parcells? I did. We turned around under the Tuna. We were a rudderless ship with Campo.

You seem to be saying you don't think we can win as long as Jerry's here. As negative as I am about him I don't agree with that. I think we can. It's just going to take the right coach. Someone who commands a lot of respect, has a good eye for talent and is capable of working around Jerry.
  11. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,508 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Tough to win with Jed Clamplett and Jethro Bodine in the owner's suite.
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,408 Messages
    549 Likes Received

Parcells was about as close as we ever got (possibly will ever get) to that. I doubt Garrett will have the respect factor after Jerry is finished pantsing him this offseason, but perhaps that annoying gasbag is planning on hiring two coordinators (Smith and Norvell) that command the respect instead.

Different approach, but he's gone most other routes in his efforts to circumvent firing himself, so why not this one?
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    I don't think we can win another superbowl with any coach as long as Jerry wants to be the GM and make sure everyone knows he has final say in everything.
  14. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Every Cowboy fan should be utterly disgusted with the man.

He's all but destroyed my love for the team. A loss like the Redskin game would have gutted me 5 years ago. Not anymore. It just didn't bother me like it used to.

His comments about calling the shots in the Jimmy Johnson days are a joke. And so is he.

So homers can have their discussions about OL and safety or whatever, but in the end, it won't amount to anything. 128-128 speaks for itself, and no amount of coaching or players changes has made any significant impact on that, other than the brief reprieve we had when Parcells rebuilt the roster, and now those guys are getting old.

We're stuck with this fool until he dies. Anyone who denies the Al Davis comparisons is either kidding themselves or lying. If I'm still alive when age or death take him from the team, I doubt I'll still care about the Dallas Cowboys, unfortunately.
  15. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I like that.
  16. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    It's fair to think that but man do I hope you are wrong. I'm sure you do too.
  17. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    No coach is going to work under those conditions if he has other options. And someone like you described will have plenty of options.

No top football man is going to want to sit there and have Jones looking over his shoulder, in his lockerroom, on his sideline, overriding what he wants on draft day, making the final call on his roster. Talking down to star players in the lockerroom. Coming down to the sideline to tell the coach to take his stars out of the game. Determining his coaching staff. Andy Reid/John Gruden/Bill Cowher/One of the Harbaughs (or whoever) is working in that? They want a setup where their team runs through a night club on the way to the field?

The only chance Dallas makes it to a super bowl is if the stars align the way they did for Arizona a few years ago, or Oakland a decade ago. But as we saw, those were flukes with no lasting success.

I don't know how many failed seasons it will take for people to realize that building something like they have in Baltimore, GB, NE, Pitt, used to have in Indy, and appears to be emerging in SF isn't going to happen in Dallas. The only way is to get what they have....top notch football men. And such a man isn't going to work under the thumb of Jerry Jones and his circus.
  18. Risen Star

21,029 Messages
    7,509 Likes Received
    Then why did Parcells come here? He had plenty of options.
  19. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,657 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    And just how far does the apple fall from the tree?
  20. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,657 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    If I remember, Parcells was going through a nasty divorce at the time, and needed the ready cash to maintaiin his style of living.:laugh2: