1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mailbag: How Much Has Guard Play Affected Free?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,585 Messages
    3,333 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ed-Free-/a335e60e-1a0a-4451-8abb-96ae63e99738

Doug Free seemed to have a difficult year. How much of his struggles can be attributed to the lack of production of the guards? He seemed to play better with Kosier and not having to worry about what was happening inside.

Nick: I would bet there is something to that notion, but overall, I think teams and defensive ends have figured him out and know how to beat him. He has struggled in the last two years and while he’s serviceable, that’s not the word you’re looking for in a guy averaging $8 million per season. Something has to change there and it’ll probably be his role with the team.

Rowan: It can’t help him when the guards are struggling as well. Take Doug Free out of the starting lineup and it’s not like everything’s fixed on this offensive line. The same can be said for taking out one of the guards. There are a lot of problems there, but it would definitely help him out if he had elite talents playing next to him. Still, if he was playing to his potential the level the Cowboys thought they’d get when they paid him, the players next to him wouldn’t matter as much.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    The Free Defenders say all will be well if he has a good guard next to him.

I call BS on that
  3. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    He gets manhandled time and time again during one on one matchups.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,389 Messages
    2,110 Likes Received
    Yeah, the first Philly game he had a stretch of plays that were as bad as could be.

I think a better question might be, how much has Free affected the play of the Guards.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,799 Messages
    7,159 Likes Received
    As you should. It's a weak argument to make on a player that simply isn't good enough.

I don't want a guy I have to hide next to a good player. I want him to be the good player and make the guy next to him better. When you get paid that kind of coin, that's the expectations.

All these excuses are comical to me. The guy just isn't any good and the team and most all of the fan base overrated him.

I'd roll with Parnell as we enter the draft. He may end up being terrible too but it won't be a drop off and he's a heck of a lot cheaper.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,033 Messages
    453 Likes Received
    Doug Free isn't strong enough to play guard... He's getting overpowered at tackle as is!
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,516 Messages
    5,243 Likes Received
    There are Free defenders?
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Yeah, I call BS on that.
  9. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Exactly. They should cut their losses and move on. He's not even adequate to serve as a backup.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,294 Messages
    3,607 Likes Received
    :blind:
  11. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,523 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    I haven't read a single post of anyone defending Free.