1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mailbag: I'm wondering how we have not taken a look at Whitney Mercilus from Illinois

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,937 Messages
    1,241 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag.cfm?id=65B3AF8E-D834-5E7E-61CED524CC3A3356

...Nate Clark- Salt Lake City, UT: I'm wondering how we have not taken a look at Whitney Mercilus from Illinois yet. His 2011 stats are phenomenal (not to mention his tape), and personally, I think he deserves to be mentioned as one of the top three defensive players in this draft.

Nick: Not to be argumentative here, but how do you know the Cowboys haven't looked at him. I'm sure they have. And I bet they like him. Personally, I don't know too much about this guy but looking at his stats, like you said, he looks pretty good. Seems like a good fit for the 3-4 scheme. Maybe he's the next Pierre-Paul or Aldon Smith. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him.

Rob: Who says they haven't? You can bet they've looked at everyone dating back to the college season. And you're right – he's the right size at outside linebacker, and what I like about him is he forces turnovers. Nine forced fumbles last year. This defense could use more of those.
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,008 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Its hard to overlook that kind of stats,you dont luck into them in a top conference.
  3. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I like some Mercilus. The guy is extremely long, productive, and has a great background story about overcoming difficulties in his life.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    When I first watched him he didn't impress me much. However, like said above you can't ignore that kinda production.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,625 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    The one thing that worries me a little about Merciless is that his stats look a lot like Spencer's did while at Purdue.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,937 Messages
    1,241 Likes Received
    Understood, burm....in a trade down situation, Whitney Mercilus or Barron would be my target in the first round.