1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Mailbag: I'm wondering how we have not taken a look at Whitney Mercilus from Illinois

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CCBoy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,175 Messages
    1,929 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag.cfm?id=65B3AF8E-D834-5E7E-61CED524CC3A3356

...Nate Clark- Salt Lake City, UT: I'm wondering how we have not taken a look at Whitney Mercilus from Illinois yet. His 2011 stats are phenomenal (not to mention his tape), and personally, I think he deserves to be mentioned as one of the top three defensive players in this draft.

Nick: Not to be argumentative here, but how do you know the Cowboys haven't looked at him. I'm sure they have. And I bet they like him. Personally, I don't know too much about this guy but looking at his stats, like you said, he looks pretty good. Seems like a good fit for the 3-4 scheme. Maybe he's the next Pierre-Paul or Aldon Smith. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him.

Rob: Who says they haven't? You can bet they've looked at everyone dating back to the college season. And you're right – he's the right size at outside linebacker, and what I like about him is he forces turnovers. Nine forced fumbles last year. This defense could use more of those.
  2. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

7,703 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    Its hard to overlook that kind of stats,you dont luck into them in a top conference.
  3. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Well-Known Member

632 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    I like some Mercilus. The guy is extremely long, productive, and has a great background story about overcoming difficulties in his life.
  4. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

3,063 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    When I first watched him he didn't impress me much. However, like said above you can't ignore that kinda production.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

42,886 Messages
    2,401 Likes Received
    The one thing that worries me a little about Merciless is that his stats look a lot like Spencer's did while at Purdue.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,175 Messages
    1,929 Likes Received
    Understood, burm....in a trade down situation, Whitney Mercilus or Barron would be my target in the first round.