1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mailbag - why is there no real thought to reaching out to a veteran receiver?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 29, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,302 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag.cfm?id=B26322ED-9745-5660-491317C472AAC912

ADAM VEENHUIS HOBOKEN, NJ :Considering the issues the young receivers, namely Kevin Ogletree, have had, why is there no real thought to reaching out to a veteran receiver?

Rob: I keep hearing this argument, and the fact is that they already have signed a veteran receiver. Laurent Robinson is a five-year vet with 20 career starts, and he made a couple of big plays despite little experience in the system. Maybe his role increases as the year goes on, but they're not going to give up on Kevin Ogletree. For fans who want to play young players, you're going to get young mistakes. And if you think it makes sense to sign Randy Moss with Dez Bryant healthy enough to play and Miles Austin coming back relatively soon, you're kidding yourself.

Josh:What is Laurent Robinson? I know he's not as big a name as the ones you're really asking about, Randy Moss and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but I would honestly rather have Robinson at this point. Those other two guys are done. When Miles Austin and Dez Bryant get healthy, hopefully this question goes away. The third wide receiver will be no more than the fourth or fifth option in the passing game. Laurent Robinson is fine for that. As for Ogletree, yeah, pretty disappointing that he seemed so lost Monday. He would be better with fewer responsibilities, but I think he shortened his own leash against the Redskins.....
  2. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    We did sign a veteran receiver .. Laurent Robinson. This is his 5th year in the league.

#reality
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I think it's a simple as that.

And unlike the 'name' guys, Robinson doesn't have the ego to demand a specific role or a number of snaps.

And also unlike the 'names', he's not on the downside of his career either.

After Ogletree's multiple gaffes, I expect Robinson to quickly move past him provided he remains healthy.
  4. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Very true, and Robinson looked like he knew what he was doing with little practice time.
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,152 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Any word on why Holley wasn't used, .. after the few plays he made in the SF game?
  6. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I saw him out there several times, he just wasn't thrown to.
  7. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    more than likely ogletree knocked him off his route or ran into him
  8. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received

:lmao:

That was hilarious!!!

:bow:
  9. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,868 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I like what I saw out of Robinson. I think he will be excellent as a #3. Sorry, I have completely lost interest in Ogletree.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,419 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I also think the team probably doesn't want to get carried away with signing new guys, cutting other guys, etc. in the middle of a season. I think Garrett preaches continuity, learning from mistakes, working torwards a common goal, etc. and if there is continual churning of the roster, those messages become somewhat muted. Instead, by going with the guys they have (with a couple of exceptions), the message of "we're in this together" is validated and guys can focus on improving as a team rather than worrying about whether Player A or Player B is going to be released on a weekly basis.
  11. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,943 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    We actually had our usual "know-it-alls" in chat on Monday night just CRUCIFYING the Cowboys for not signing a veteran WR...

When Robinson's name was mentioned, they moved on to the next gripe with no acknowledgement...
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,024 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    lolz. :laugh2:

He should, coming out of the SD program, and having 3 (interrupted) weeks to digest what we're doing over here. He did well against the Sk*ns, and should be able to contribute from here on out.

That's still no excuse for letting Crayton go last year and Hurd walk this year. I know there were extenuating circumstances, but it's team mis-management that could very well have cost us a game this week.
  13. stasheroo

18,148 Messages
    1,863 Likes Received
    I disagree in that regard. I think having regular in-season workouts and roster churning keeps players on their toes.

I saw the Tuesday rundown of teams having players in for workouts and was disappointed I didn't see Dallas having anyone come in.

I saw that McCann had a tryout with St Louis.

I'd like to see the Cowboys 'kicking the tires' on some players as well.
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I like to see roster churning also, and so did a fellow named Jimmy Johnson.
  15. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Sign Robinson for a few more years-he is are third wr.
  16. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    1,443 Likes Received
    The guy has 4 career touchdowns in said 5 years... stop making him out to be a "veteran guy".
  17. Reality

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    Exactly. Robinson showed something the other night especially for not being on the team very long.

#reality
  18. Reality

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    The only problem that a lot of people fail to consider is that normally a team has a few players that never see the field and can be used for churning fodder. In the cowboys case, they have so many injuries that they are limited in what they can do.

Normally for example they could cut an receiver or cornerback since most teams have extra players for those positions but with the injuries, those extra players are actually playing snaps each game. I suspect we will start to see a lot more frequent churning after the bye.

#reality
  19. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Choice is someone who could be churned.