1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Major News----troopergate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    Didnt see this posted, sorry if repost.

Alaska Supreme Court rejects appeal from Republicans, "Troopergate" report set to be released tommorow.

"The ruling means that Steve Branchflower, the investigator hired by the Legislative Council, will release his report as scheduled on Friday", excerp from report.

See link.

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/550940.html

If Palin had anything at all to do with that guy getting fired, McCain/Palin are done tommorow.
  2. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I hope she did have something to do with it. The guy had no business being a trooper. He was scum for tasering that kid.
  3. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Palin pre-empts state report, clears self in probe

By MATT APUZZO – 7 minutes ago
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — On the eve of a report on a legislative panel's abuse-of-power investigation into Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, campaign officials released their own report clearing her of any wrongdoing.
    Palin, running mate to Republican presidential nominee John McCain, is the subject of two inquiries into whether she abused her power by firing her public safety commissioner. The commissioner says he was dismissed for resisting pressure to fire Palin's former brother-in-law, a state trooper.
    Lawmakers are expected to release their findings Friday.
    The report the McCain-Palin campaign released Thursday night says the firing was based on a budget dispute. Since then, the report says, the matter has been muddled with innuendo, rumor and politics.
    THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — The state Supreme Court refused Thursday to halt an ethics investigation into Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential nominee.
    The ruling clears the way for lawmakers on Friday to release a report on their investigation into whether Palin abused her power by firing her public safety commissioner. The report could prove to be an embarrassment for Palin and a distraction for John McCain's presidential campaign.
    Lawmakers are investigating whether Palin abused her power to settle a family dispute. Her former public safety commissioner says he was dismissed after resisting pressure to fire a state trooper who had gone through a nasty divorce from Palin's sister.
    Republican lawmakers had sued to block the report, saying it had become politicized. Palin didn't join that lawsuit. Her husband, Todd, and some of her top aides are cooperating in the inquiry.
    In affidavits submitted Wednesday, Todd Palin and two top aides for his wife's administration portrayed the firing as the result of continued wrangling between the governor and her public safety commissioner over control of the agency. The affidavits also portray Sarah Palin as uninvolved while her husband repeatedly tried to spread the word that their former brother-in-law was unfit to remain a state trooper.
    In its ruling, the Supreme Court refused to block the legislative investigation but did not immediately explain why.
    For several years, dating before Sarah Palin became governor, Todd Palin was telling state officials and the couple's close circle of advisers emotional stories about Mike Wooten, their former brother-in-law, threatening and emotionally abusing his family.
    Todd Palin said he talked to anyone who would listen. He gave them photos and documents, which they forwarded to others in the administration, and he questioned how Wooten kept his job.
    Walter Monegan says he was fired from his job as public safety commissioner for not dismissing Wooten, a claim that eventually led to the politically charged investigation just before McCain chose Palin as his running mate in late August.
    Palin says she fired Monegan over a budget dispute.
    Todd Palin said he never pressured anyone, including his wife. In fact, he says that after repeatedly talking with her about the matter, she finally told him to "drop it."
    "Anyone who knows Sarah knows she is the governor and she calls the shots," Todd Palin wrote. "I make no apologies for wanting to protect my family and wanting to publicize the injustice of a violent trooper keeping his badge."
    Republican lawmakers argued before the state Supreme Court this week that the legislative inquiry should be shut down and the report not released. The state's personnel board also is looking into the matter, and Palin has said she thinks that inquiry is more appropriate.
  4. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yo dipstick, the guy deserved to be fired
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    They are desperatley trying to find something on her and they come up with nothing. The truth is, as you said, the guy deserved it. And she would have been doing her job if she did it personally. Kinda makes me want to vote for her twice. But I could only do that if she was a democrat.
  6. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    give Barry's ACORN folks a call, they can help out with that democrat thing as well as making sure you can pull that lever, punch that chad or push tose buttons as many times as you like.
  7. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I could also call Tony Romo since he's already been down that road.
  8. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  9. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Wasilla is so small,and AK is so far and irrelevant,how come this is major news?
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    Anything that they think looks bad is big news to the libs like beast and company.
  11. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    If you have read many of my other post, you will see that I have repeadly stated that I do not support either candidate, my candidate lost in the primaries. Me a lib is laughable, I voted for W both times.

I provided a link for you so you could read the article and come to a conclusion yourself. The only opinion I gave was that if the report said she abused her power that McCain/Palin are probably done. I dont see a VP who abused her power as governor being elected, just my opinion.

The fact that they are talking about this on the prime time news shows tells me that this is kinda important. Last time I checked this was the political zone, isnt this were political articles are to be posted?

The article was about the appeal being rejected, how exactly is this bad news for your girl, unless you think she is guilty.
  12. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    Could be considered major news since she is Republican VP nominee for POTUS and the report is from an independent investigator that was assigned to determine if she abused her power.

That would probably be my guess, by I could be wrong:rolleyes:
  13. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    Personal insults are not neccessary, no need to call somebody a dipstick for posting an article. If you dont want to read political articles, why on Earth are you on a political sub-forum on an NFL message board at 9 PM at night???

I frankly agree with you that he deserved it, he tasered a child.

However, the fact is that the media is going to focus exclusively on the abuse of powers thing, if she is in fact guilty.

As for the ostrechs on this board that dont want any information posted that could be negative against McCain/Palin, keep your heads buried in the sand and pretend everything is great!!!

As for the others that say this is not important, I beg to differ. If the report comes out in the morning and said she is guilty or even if it says "she exercised poor judgement", I highly doubt the media is going to treat it as a nothing story.
  14. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    How exactly do you release a report yourself that clears yourself???

I frankly think the guy deserved to be fired for tasering a child, but this attempt to pre-empt the actual report with an investigation you conducted yourself about yourself is almost laughable.

Like anybody is going to take this to be legit, at least the media isnt. If you dont believe me, just watch the media coverage from the networks tommorow if the actual report is negative in anyway against Palin.
  15. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    They just had some comments released by the McCain campaign the Todd Palin told the investigator.

I dont have a link handy, I heard it on TV. He said that Palin didnt fire the guy over Wooten, but said some stuff that doesnt really sound all that great.

Like the plane wasnt available for Sarah when they needed it and they thought if might be retaliation. Something about Sarah driving around with Trig (I am assuming her baby) not in a car seat and Monahaon (sp?) hearing the rumors and being upset with that.

Kinda some weird answers, I guess we will see how it plays tommorow.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,573 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    For someone who claims to be not so involved, you certainly are putting a lot of effort into it. Methinks someone is lying.
  17. Beast_from_East

14,686 Messages
    2,354 Likes Received
    Who said anything about not being involved? I am a political junkie, I watch all the political shows, I watched every night of both conventions, I have watched every debate so far in the general, and I watched all but 3 of the Democratic and Republican debates in the primaries.

I like to refer to myself as somebody that is very informed, just because my candidate lost doesnt mean I seat on the sofa and watch sitcom reruns until Nov 4th.

Maybe you do, but not me. So you see, I really could care less if you think I am lying about not being a McCain or Obama supporter.

I am a realist however and I know that one of these guys will be the next President, 90% sure it is going to be Obama. So, ofcourse I am paying more attention to Obama since I think he is a lock to win right now.

So go ahead and call me a liar all you want, frankly I really dont care what you think.;)
  18. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The trooper, Wooten, was *NEVER* fired! You morons, who let facts sit idle while you simplay make crap up and pull whetever else you need from your sphincters.
  19. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You may like to consider yourself "very informed"...you might as well like to consider yourself a firetruck. Neither is true. Or you'd have known that Wooten was never fired. Palin never asked for his firing (even according to the Commissioner of Public Safety, the guy who WAS fired over public defiance of the Governer over the budget).
  20. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'll also add, like I predicted earlier and will rehash here, that the legistative investigation can "find" anything they want. I will not be surprised one iota if they determine she "abused power". No proof, mind you (there is none - in fact all evidence that exists point the other way, that she fired the CPS over budgetary head-butting). Furthermore, you need to be armed with the facts - the AK Constitution grants the Governer the power to hire/fire "at the governer's pleasure" the Commissioner of Public Safety. Again, that means for whatever reason, or no reason at all if the Governer so wishes. So you must be critical of a report that says she "abused power" if she exercised power granted to her in their Constitution.