1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Make or Break Time With Arkin/Kowalski

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Jul 21, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,369 Messages
    778 Likes Received
    With Livings and Leary out for the start of camp both of these guys will be seeing a lot of practice snaps. I know a lot of people have been down on Arkin and a close to equal number have Killer as a pet cat.

I figure that many of you already figured this on your own so in the spirit of creating a discussion I ask you Zoners: how do you think that they will do?

I'm not sure myself but I have a suspicion that this TC will be deciding whether or not they have a future with this team
    jobberone likes this.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,981 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    That's likely. There's generally a few surprises every year and one or two will be on the OL IMO.
  3. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,172 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    They have no future w this team.
  4. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,656 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I think Kowalski has a better shot to be retained than Arkin. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.
    5Stars and BIGDen like this.
  5. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus

4,360 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    This is how I feel as well. I have little to no faith in Arkin. I have yet to see him play well and I'm doubtful that he's strong enough to anchor in this league. Kowalski, in a limited amount of time, showed more potential IMO.
    stasheroo likes this.
  6. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    these guys are PS at best at this point...yes, TC should get them some snaps, but I don't see them cracking into the top 5 and possibly not the top 10 OL on this team
  7. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Putting Arkin at Center last preseason hosed him royally. He may not pan out, but he needs to sit at guard and pass or fail there.
    chagus and jobberone like this.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,981 Messages
    2,558 Likes Received
    Yeah, I think you might be right about that.
  9. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

30,993 Messages
    1,877 Likes Received
    Agreed.
  10. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,519 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    PS or bust...
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,093 Messages
    968 Likes Received
    I agree with you. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm in Broaddus' camp that he's just not a strong enough guy to play at the NFL level.
  12. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,924 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Kowalski offers true position flexibility, we have seen him play C before and know that he can. Arkin is a G ONLY.
    5Stars likes this.
  13. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,949 Messages
    1,105 Likes Received
    IMO, I don't think Arkin is as bad as most people think... and I don't think that Kowalski is as good as most people think.

I haven't given up on either one and I hope that one or both can actually turn into decent players for us. I do feel like it is getting time to either do it or get off the team though.
    5Stars likes this.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,793 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    Arkin for sure.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    This is about how I feel. I was pleasantly surprised with Kowalski. And mildly disappointed with Arkin (I had hopes for him), but both are borderline roster guys who have a chance to be on the active roster and an outside chance at starting one day. Both could also be off the roster entirely if they don't show improvement this year in camp.
  16. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,188 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    That's my feeling about both of those guys, too weak to be starters. How much stronger can they get in two or three offseasons is the 64,000 dollar question.
  17. revospeed

revospeed Active Member

460 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I'm in agreement with you. Something has to be said for Arkin still getting starting reps whenever Livings and Bernadeau are out despite Broaddus telling everyone that a wet kleenex would be better. I think that the coaches see that Arkin has a high enough football IQ despite not being a mauler, to give him a chance in this zone blocking scheme.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    Really? You think of Kowalski as weak? I haven't been too concerned with that with him. If anything, it just seems like the coaches have him pegged as a low-ceiling guy. He played really well at C under tough circumstances and has looked good to me whenever he's been in. Honestly, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more press as a potential developmental starter, and I'm assuming from the fact that he has not that the team has a reason that's beyond me for not being higher on him. The fact that he hasn't been getting the reps or the press or the fluff from guys with access to what the coaches really think does say a lot, though.
  19. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,188 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    Functional strength is what appeared to be missing, I've got vivid memories of him being blown up and thrown into the backfield.more than a few times. Not as weak as Arkin obviously, but not ready for prime time either.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,897 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    They are not eligible for the practice squad because they've both been on the 53 man roster for too many games.