1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Make or Break Time With Arkin/Kowalski

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Jul 21, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

16,223 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    I thought that Kowalski played with better anchor strength in real games during his rookie year than Arkin did in pre-season games during his 2nd year. I also thought that Kowalski played with better technique/awareness in real games than Arkin showed in pre-season games.
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,453 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    If Arkin has added strength he can be a good guard. But it's a big if
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,070 Messages
    158 Likes Received
    This is a make or break year for Arkin....If he doesn't step up, I think the Cowboys will cut their losses. Especially if someone else shows up. Kowalski probably has a slight advantage here; actual playing time, position versatility.
  4. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,568 Messages
    883 Likes Received
    Unless there are serious injuries or an unexpected cut to for cap reasons I don't see either making the team. Cook, Costa, Leary, and Parnell provide plenty of flexibility as backups and are all more experienced and game seasoned than Killer and Arkin.
  5. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,919 Messages
    1,926 Likes Received
    If Kawasaki does not make the team, I will really be surprised. He's been with the system and is young.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

16,223 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    Cook is terrible with no upside. His run blocking was the worst since Cory Proctor.

Frederick, Costa and Bernadeau can all play Center. Why would they keep Cook unless 2 of these 3 are injured and unavailable for game 1?
    RS12 likes this.
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,709 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    I would like to see Cook move out to tackle just to see what he could possibly give us out there before getting rid of him since he has started out there before.

Cook is still the most versatile OL we have, even if he isn't great at any position, it is still useful to have a guy like him which is why we picked him up in the first place. We have noone else who can play all 5 OL positions, and I figure he would be a better run blocker on the outside.

That said, with the addition of Fred, all these guys are fighting for their livelihoods.
  8. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,453 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Cook is a dead man walking. makes $1million and couldn't pass the conditioning drill.
  9. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I rather have Ray Dominguez

Dominguez was a tackle in college but looks like a potential future backup guard in the NFL. Has some tools to work with, mainly his size. Upside as a run blocker if a coaching staff can ignite a fire in him, get him to drive his legs and start blowing some people off the ball.

Strengths
    Dominguez had good bulk for the next level. Flashes some redeemable qualities in pass protection including a relatively quick set. Wall-off run blocker who gets off the ball and established good positioning. Does a good job recognizing blitzes with his pre-snap reads. Three years of starting experience against top competition.

and say bye to both
  10. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I'm with you. I still have a little hope in Arkin.
  11. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,096 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    Killer has shown he can play.

Arkin hasn’t seen the field for a single meaningful game.

Advantage Killer.
  12. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    1,243 Likes Received
    Broaddus has posted some positive things about Adkin this off season,we'll see
  13. Cogan

Cogan Well-Known Member

1,514 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Man, I was watching a Hard Knocks episode of the Dolphins from last season, because their last preseason game was against the Cowboys. Arkin got his lunch eaten by a DT that the Fins ultimately cut. From the pics of training camp, it looks like Arkin did little to improve this year. They told him to get stronger over the off season, not heavier around the waist. What a waste of a 4th round pick.
  14. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

6,250 Messages
    1,234 Likes Received
    I don't think either will make the team. I have been pulling for both of them since they made the team but I don't think they have progressed enough to merit roster spots.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,568 Messages
    883 Likes Received
    His flexibility. He can play C, G, and RT. While I agree he isn't particularly good at any of them he may be our only option at RT outside of Parnell as a backup. If for whatever reason we have multiple injuries at OT he's not a bad guy to have on the roster.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

17,194 Messages
    3,009 Likes Received
    Callahan said they were impressed with his progress and had met the goals they had given him in the strength and conditioning tests. If he built core strength where do you think it goes?
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

33,569 Messages
    3,816 Likes Received
    I agree with this.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,888 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    It is make or break for them both at least here. IMO. I like the versatility of Ski. I like the mobility of Arkin. I'm hoping someone surprises.
  19. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,759 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    I agree this should be a make or break year for Arkin.. however, i think KK has already proven that he can play in the few chances he's been given to get some game action in. I'd like to see him challange Berny and Leary for the RG spot this year, and possibly see him and Leary take over the starting guard spots by next year.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,923 Messages
    6,612 Likes Received
    I look forward to the day I never have to hear the words David Arkin ever again.

I'm sorry I know this is a legitimate discussion but I knew that we were dealing with a bum two years ago when we had a plethora of injuries on the oline yet he couldn't even get ACTIVATED for a single game.