1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mana Silva released

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Sep 27, 2012.

1. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I think the timing in regards to the safety problem is what people are confused about. But I think out of all the players the Cowboys could have released, Silva has the best chance of clearing waivers.

But that brings along another question: Why sign a safety (Frampton) to release another safety (Silva)?
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Had to be via Ryan recommendation.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Jones took a pretty big hit on his kicking leg if he can't go then Dallas will have 2 punters until Jones can return.
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    That's interesting; I wonder if they could have used that new IR rule for Jones. I suspect Silva will be back at some point, as least to the PS.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    It just wouldn't be an official Dallas Cowboys season if we weren't carrying 3 kickers on the 53 man roster.
  6. cnhnyy

cnhnyy Member

475 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    whatever. He doesn't have much potential to start with and was bad on the field (getting a PI call as soon as he played).
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking. Last year was ridiculous w/ how they stocked up on kickers. I think at one point we had 5 on the roster.
  8. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Four good corners have made Silva unnecessary. They have wanted a cornerback who could play safety for several years. The Scandrick and Ball stories are playing out with Carr. Plus the need for a punter. Is Silva on the short lift of players we think we can get back?
  9. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    If Jones is hurt and can't go then who punts? I don't think dallas wanted to bring in another punter but if Jones can't go then that is a major problem that has to be addressed.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Silva can be bought back to the PS once he clears waviers
  11. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

973 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    They know more than we do.
  12. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,174 Messages
    2,379 Likes Received
    Very odd move. I thought Silva had something.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,572 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Yep.

I'm sure that was a key factor in the decision. The risk of him being claimed is still there, but lower than for some others.
  14. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    No doubt, Cowboys are not doing this for the heck of it. Jones took a big hit on that leg and there is no way we can go into Monday game without a punter. I don't think this is long term but it is a must that we bring someone in.
  16. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Silva was #53?
  17. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,689 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    How about they just cut the damn punter to bring in another punter. No one is going to claim a banged up Chris Jones so they can bring him back when he is healthy. But now they are giving a precious roster spot to an injured punter who really isn't anything special anyways ang getting even thinner at Safety. It's kind of hard to comprehend.
  18. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,038 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    Does not shock me...I never saw what so many claimed they saw in him. Looked like somewhat who could not locate the ball in the air to me. Never wanted to say anything, because there were way too many other holes on the team for me to get bent out of shape on the 4th safety.
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If Chris Jones is hurt, how about putting him on IR or releasing him? I'm not sure there's a huge demand around the league for gimpy punters.
  20. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    That is your opinion. Dallas likes Jones and sees him as their long term punter according to reports this move is likely only for a couple of weeks. As for Jones being just avg? he has done an excellent job not sure what games you are watching. Silva is eligible for the PS this is a big reason why they made this move.