1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mansfield Flag Controversy Draws Worldwide Outrage

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by CowboyFan74, May 29, 2009.

1. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Not sure why anybody is surprised, we cater to foreigners more than our own countrymen.

Mansfield Flag Controversy Draws Worldwide Outrage

For one Arlington woman, the answer was "no" after she hung an American flag in her office just before the Memorial Day weekend.

Debbie McLucas is one of four hospital supervisors at Kindred Hospital in Mansfield. Last week, she hung a three-by-five foot American flag in the office she shares with the other supervisors.

When McLucas came to work Friday, her boss told her another supervisor had found her flag offensive. "I was just totally speechless. I was like, 'You're kidding me,'" McLucas said.

McLucas' husband and sons are former military men. Her daughter is currently serving in Iraq as a combat medic.

Stifling a cry, McLucas said, "I just wonder if all those young men and women over there are really doing this for nothing."

McLucas said the supervisor who complained has been in the United States for 14 years and is formerly from Africa. McLucas said that supervisor took down the flag herself.

"The flag and the pole had been placed on the floor," McLucas said. But McLucas also said hospital higher-ups had told her some patients' families and visitors had also complained.

"I was told it wouldn't matter if it was only one person," she said. "It would have to come down."

McLucas said hospital bosses told her as far as patriotism was concerned, the flag flying outside the hospital building would have to suffice.

"I find it very frightening because if I can't display my flag," McLucas asked, "whatother freedoms will I lose before all is said and done?"

Kindred Healthcare's corporate headquarters are located in Kentucky. We called them for comment when we were first working on this story Tuesday, but they did not return our calls.

Wednesday morning, however, our story received nationwide attention. We have received hundreds of emails and comments from people who had something to say about it. Several dozen people protested outside the Mansfield hospital Wednesday. And a receptionist at Kindred's headquarters told us they received many phone calls.

Then, late Wednesday morning, Kindred posted on its website a statement about the incident. It reads, in part: "The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up."

We talked to McLucas Wednesday afternoon. She says the hospital's local CEO called and apologized. And McLucas says the woman did tell her she could put the flag back up, which she has done.

But she says when she was first told the flag had to go, nobody mentioned anything about its size being the root of the problem.

"At no point was I afforded the opportunity -- [no one said,] 'Hey Deb, could you get a one and a half by three and a half and hang it instead of hanging this three by five?'" McLucas said.

Even so, McLucas says she's happy people have spoken out about the issue. "It's just restored my faith in the American people," she said.
  2. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I am sorry, but the person who was offended by the flag and the person who made her take the flag down should be deported immediately. End of story. Ooops, actually I am not sorry at all.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    That's crazy. If she couldn't put up an American flag she should have gone around and checked to see if anyone else had a flag on their desk then complained they needed to remove it. I have a small American flag on my desk and no one has ever said anything about it. The size thing was a cop out to save face.
  4. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Lady's gotta be kidding. Those statements are so ignorant it's lol-worthy.

Your rights do not extend over other people's property. If a company doesn't want flags over a certain size on their property, that's their right, their freedom, not yours.
  5. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Uh, no. Overreaction much?

Also, if it's company policy, then it's company policy. If you don't like it, you find someplace else to work.

Although I find it VERY ridiculous that any policy against political-whatever would not exempt the American flag.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,214 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    Actually, this is not entirely correct. It must be stated or posted I believe. In any case, if your community is not in support of your decisions on such matters, then you have to be ready to face the fact that they will probably voice there opinions and it will probably impact your bottom line. So yeah, you can take that position but you do so at your own discression.
  7. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,320 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    its rediculous that you would be made to take down your national flag, particularly in your own country. you have to wonder if the person born in africa would have been made to take down their national flag if they had put one up. i've heard a lot of cases of something similar happenning over here and i disagree strongly with not being able to display your national flags or emblems. to be honest i think it plays into the hands of extremists who can use it to stir up ill feeling. no idea about gbritains political beliefs but i'd say that his response validates my point.
    incidentally how suitable for an office is a five foot by three foot flag and pole big enough to fly it from?
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,214 Messages
    1,308 Likes Received
    I think it's interesting that two of the posters (I believe) that have posted in this thread are not Americans and yet, they seem to find this more offensive then do some of the Americans who were born in this country.

I don't know, I just find that odd.
  9. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,080 Messages
    491 Likes Received

What are you thinking, Americans being patriotic, have you lost your marbles. Everyone knows this is the country you give away, that way everyone is happy and we become useless. Its old thinking like yours which is killing this country. Dern it, hate this country like everyone else and those that give their lives for our rights. IF you are going to hang one flag, hang em all, you might offend someone, mainly the people that died for this country.

Its become a sad day when the flag cant be waived every where in this country.
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm offended that the flag wasn't larger. :mad:
  11. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

27,527 Messages
    1,080 Likes Received
    http://www.kindredhealthcare.com/Press/2009-05-27.asp

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    PRESS RELEASES
    [IMG]
    KINDRED HEALTHCARE SUPPORTS THE FLAG AND THE SACRIFICES IT REPRESENTS

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 27, 2009) -- Kindred Healthcare (NYSE: KND) is proud of its history of supporting our employees and their families who have served our country through military service. We are sincerely sorry that one incident between two employees gave the perception that we do not respect the flag or the sacrifice it represents.

It is neither the policy of Kindred Healthcare nor Kindred Hospital Mansfield to restrict the rights of our employees and their expressions of patriotism. This is not in keeping with the spirit and culture of Kindred Healthcare. We routinely celebrate the blessings bestowed upon us by honoring our veterans and active military through a variety of benefits and service programs. The truth is the Mansfield hospital situation has not been described accurately or in its entirety. In fact, both employees involved in the situation have family members who have served in the military.

This issue was simply a dispute between two employees who shared a small workspace, one of whom removed the flag because of its size. It’s important to note that hospital management was not involved in the decision to remove the flag and has since worked with both employees to resolve the situation. We support our employees’ first amendment rights and have invited the employee to rehang her flag.

“We are sorry that this incident occurred,” said Benjamin A. Breier, President of Kindred’s Hospital Division. “We organize many activities and programs throughout the year to honor our veterans. This year, in addition to our annual Independence Day celebrations, we will proudly distribute American flags that our employees can display in their workspaces. Our 55,000 hard-working employees serve our patients and residents daily with innumerable acts of kindness and compassion. We value and respect each of our employees and their commitment to high quality care. We look forward to continuing to serve our communities and our country.”

About Kindred Healthcare

Kindred Healthcare, Inc. is a healthcare services company, based in Louisville, Kentucky, with annual revenues of over $4 billion and approximately 54,800 employees in 40 states. At March 31, 2009, Kindred through its subsidiaries provided healthcare services in 661 locations, including 82 long-term acute care hospitals, 228 skilled nursing centers and a contract rehabilitation services business, Peoplefirst rehabilitation services, which served 351 non-affiliated facilities. Ranked first in Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies “Health Care: Medical Facilities” category, Kindred’s mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder we serve. For more information, go to www.kindredhealthcare.com.

Susan E. Moss
    Vice President, Communications
    (502) 596-7296

http://www.kindredhealthcare.com/Press/2009-05-28.asp
    STATEMENT REGARDING AMERICAN FLAG INCIDENT AT KINDRED HOSPITAL MANSFIELD

Louisville, KY (May 28, 2009) – Kindred Healthcare, Inc. (the "Company") (NYSE: KND) issued this statement today regarding an incident involving an American flag at Kindred Hospital Mansfield:

We are offended one of our employees took down a colleague's American flag in our Mansfield, TX hospital. It was wrong and as soon as we learned about it we took immediate action to correct the situation. At no time did anyone at Kindred Healthcare instruct anyone to take down the American flag. This was an unauthorized act of an individual employee. The flag is now proudly displayed once again, and we apologize to all who were equally offended by this unpatriotic action, including the owner of the flag. We have reprimanded the employee and let them know we don't tolerate behavior inconsistent with our Company's values.

About Kindred Healthcare

Kindred Healthcare, Inc. is a healthcare services company, based in Louisville, Kentucky, with annual revenues of over $4 billion and approximately 54,800 employees in 40 states. At March 31, 2009, Kindred through its subsidiaries provided healthcare services in 661 locations, including 82 long-term acute care hospitals, 228 skilled nursing centers and a contract rehabilitation services business, Peoplefirst rehabilitation services, which served 351 non-affiliated facilities. Ranked first in Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies “Health Care: Medical Facilities” category, Kindred’s mission is to promote healing, provide hope, preserve dignity and produce value for each patient, resident, family member, customer, employee and shareholder we serve. For more information, go to www.kindredhealthcare.com.

Susan E. Moss
    Vice President of Corporate Communications
    (502) 596-7296
  12. ArmyCowboy

ArmyCowboy New Member

951 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've had two deployments to Iraq myself and this is a sad, sad situation.

Personally, I would not patronize Kindred Healthcare and I would discourage any other vet from patronizing this place of business.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,129 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Well if they formally reprimanded the idiot then I guess we can give them a pass on this- somewhat. The only one on this thread to support this was hairic and he is about in the same area as VC so no surprise there.
  14. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I served during DS1 and Operation Restore Hope in Somalia. I read the company's press release and it states very clearly the ***** that took the falg down was reprimanded. They also clearly state the company's support of our armed forces personnel. Having worked in the healthcare field for 30+ years in the USN and in corporate healthcare, I can assure you that there are a number of idiots such as the one that took the flag down. Casting the entire company in a bad light because of one dumb B is wrong. That is akin to saying that all military personnel are bad because of a few idiots stepping over the line at Abu Graib.

No, I do not work for Kindred. I have worked for HCA and UHS and currently work at a community owned not for profit hospital.
  15. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    oh just edited, this is not the new hospital but a rehab facility.

I live in mansfield and didnt even know about this!!!

Pretty dumb and if anyone is offended by the flag shouldnt they just be told to bad?
  16. ArmyCowboy

ArmyCowboy New Member

951 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Didn't read the entire press release, my bad. :)
  17. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Isn't it amazing how this simple edict is always left out of the equation?
    You're offended? Tough ****. Life goes on.
  18. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    El oh el. I just called her ignorant.

But yeah, I admit I value what the flag symbolizes more than the symbol itself. Which is everyone's property rights, freedom, liberty, and constitutional rights. It's hypocritical, IMO, to use the flag to coerce or deny others of their rights and liberties. That is straight-up unamerican.
  19. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It is a sad state of affairs when you can't fly Old Glory...in your own country!
    WAKE UP AMERICA!
  20. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    How on earth is hanging a flag denying someone their rights? Does it burn the eyes of non-Americans?

In most places, - unless it's some lousy warehouse- where you sit, is pretty much recognized as personal space, where you hang pics of your kid's, sports teams, etc, without anyone having a seizure over it. I'm sure there are those things in that woman's cube/desk area too, somehow not 'infringing' on anyone's sensitivities.

Ditch the disclaimer; the woman who complained is a ******-bag, looking for attention. If someone asked her to ditch a Kenyan, (or whatever African) flag, it'd be top news as racist.