1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Marcel Dareus vs. Nick Fairely

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Nov 26, 2010.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, I know, it's really Auburn vs. Alabama, but it makes for a better headline.

Today's game offers a great chance to watch these two defensive linemen and compare and contrast them.

Tale of the tape:

Marcel Dareus - 6'4" 306 lb
    27 tackles, 3 sacks in 2010

Nick Fairely - 6'5" 298 lb
    47 tackles, 8 sacks (technically 9 sacks because I just saw him register another one toda)
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Make that 3 tackles, 2 sacks and 1 FF (and recovery) by Nick Fairely today.

The guy is just beast and is cat quick at penentrating the line.

Still waiting for Dareus to make a play of significance.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,487 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I've switched to Fairley, I like that he plays mean, but he can't do any of that dirty nonsense in the NFL.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Fairely's edge too. He reminds me of Warren Sapp during his days at Miami U. in that respect. This defense needs a bit of an edge to it.
  5. divot

divot New Member

44 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    dareus looks like one of those guys that will always be just a step late
    sort of like marcus spears

Fairley is very impressive and doing it with a shoulder i am sure must be killing him
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Dareus's rep was largely built from last year and specifically his
    performance against Texas.

Alabama has been on TV a ton this year and I've been intently watching him play and just don't see much to him at all.
  7. divot

divot New Member

44 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    totally agree....I have been watching him alot especially since the Cowboys season disintegrated and it looked like we could be in a position to select him based on his draft guru rankings
    I think he peaked last year
    looks just like another fat guy with no burst

now Fairley on the other hand! it wont surprise me to see Fairley ranked ahead of Dareus near draft time
    there is the reason I love college football. What a wonderful game unless you are a bama fan
    was just nice to enjoy all that talent on the field at one time

i lost interest in Barron as well. looks like he has coverage problems and we got enough of those kinda guys already
  8. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

4,233 Messages
    893 Likes Received
    I'm warming up to the idea of us drafting Nick Fairley with our what should still be pretty high draft pick. I mentioned about a month ago he just seems like our type of player (maybe it's Jay Ratliff Auburn flashbacks).

I'd just have to hope that the new Defensive Coordinator (fingers crossed) utilizes his d-linemen as more than just block occupiers.
    [IMG]
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,309 Messages
    1,781 Likes Received
    I'll take Fairley. As bad as they need help other places, would be great if he was the pick.
  10. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I also like
    ISLB – Josh Bynes, ILB, Auburn 6-2 #239
  11. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,536 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Fairley's intense and I think he's the better overall lineman, only reason I think we don't go D-Line in the first is there will be quite a few free agents this year on the market for dline. Who we think we can afford will be the determining factor in whether our first round pick will be secondary or dline.

I like Prince and Fairley in the first.
  12. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin

12,082 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Allen Bailey is the best for us, can play dt or de, Ratliff can play dt or de. With those two we cab throw an abundance of different looks at offfenses
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,555 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    FWIW, CBS (TV not web) has him listed at 314 lbs. Slightly changes my opinion on him. Thought at 6'5 298 he would struggle as a 4-3 DT in the NFL, but at 314 he can be a dominant player versus the pass and run.
  14. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

7,237 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Nick Fairly seems to our kind of player,very active.
  15. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

42,572 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    When you come right down to it, DE in the 3-4 is not that critical a need for top players. Not when you have the holes we do. I think we get what we need in FA.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It actually is; Bowen, Hatcher and Spears are all free agents at the end of the season. Being a DE in a 3-4 doesn't preclude you from being a pass rushing threat, we just haven't had those types of dynamic players at DE. Wade ain't here no more though.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,487 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    In a way he's right, I'm one of those people that also doesn't feel you need to spend a lot of money or a high pick on a 3-4 DE. Marcus Spears was a monster at LSU, and wasn't a game changer at DE.

I'd be more content with spending a high pick of an elite NT prospect than elite DE prospect in the 3-4.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,555 Messages
    472 Likes Received
    Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

At 6-1 310+, I think he can add another 10 pounds and be a monster inside