1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Marco Rivera on ESPN Radio - Dallas 103.3...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by trickblue, Jun 15, 2005.

1. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Rivera:
    • LA only took 3 snaps at RT in practice.
    • If BP wants LA to move I would love to have him on my side.
    • If anyone can make the transition, LA can.
    • 3 guys are looking really good at RT... Voller, Rogers and Tucker.
    • Rogers has a really good grasp of the offense and is a very smart player.
    • You only have to tell Rogers one time and he gets it.
    • Vollers is very athletic and very smart but a little light.
    • Tucker is the most athletic, but is playing without confidence. He is working VERY hard and is unbelievably strong. He can be a big-time player if he plays with confidence.
    • I feel like a Dallas Cowboy. I am there every day, running and lifting. Working out and joking with them.
    • I had the opportunity to go elsewhere, but this is the place I wanted to play, to be a Cowboy.
    • BP is old school and I like that style.
    • Yes, I did offer to give back the signing bonus. I felt it was the right thing to do.
    • The back feels as if nothing ever happened. I feel great. No pain whatsoever.
    • Jerry said he was with me 100% of the way... he said "you are one of us"... just get well.
    • Favre has had a rough two years, but he is one of the few that can come back as he is very mentally tough.
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Small talk, then....

Do you see LA at RT? Not really, I hadn't heard about it much and he played a few snaps there, is all. But if Bill puts him there I'm sure he could do it.

Who looks best at RT to play next to you? Three guys: Vollers, Jacob Rogers, and Torrin Tucker.

Whoa, really? Jacob Rogers? Yes, I haven't practiced with him yet, but he's very athletic and very smart. He has a great understanding of the offense... You tell him something one time and he gets it. He's working hard in the weight room and trying to gain weight. Vollers is a pretty solid guy, not a super huge guy, one of these 320, 330 pounders. Tucker is very athletic and very, very strong, he can lift the house... But he's playing with no confidence right now.

Do you feel like a Cowboy more now? Yeah, I really do. I've been working out with the guys, joking with the guys, and I really feel like a Cowboy now. I really wanted to come here and play for Bill and Jerry. I watched Bill when I was growing up and it's great to play for him.

How is the back? It's doing great. It feels like nothing ever happened now. My strength has come back quick and I'm back running and keeping up with the fellas and my conditioning is good. Jerry was very positive and sincere in his encouragement after it happened.

<Boring Brett Favre talk>
  3. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good stuff guys...
    Thanks
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Hmm, if true on Tucker, that is encouraging. We have all kind of discounted him, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him starting out there again.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,465 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I keep hearing Rogers looks good but BP seems to really be down on him. I'd wager BP thinks of him as soft. Pac 10 guys and all that. I have high hopes for the ugy and maybe BP's tough love makes a difference. He is gonna have to learn to play hurt tho because that shoulder doesn't seem to stay 100% long.
  6. Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw Benched

5,451 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks TB.
    I love this guy.

Great news about his back. I hope he stays healthy for the rest of his stay in DAL. He's a great asset.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Good to hear Rogers is doing well . . . . or at least better than many of us thought!
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    You guys know that I'm optimistic about Rogers... But I have a different take. It seems to me that maybe they have downplayed him somewhat to take the pressure off him. I mean, the last I heard, he wasn't even playing RT, but was a backup to Flo on the left. So I fully expected Rivera to mention Petitti, and was surprised to even hear Rogers as a candidate, but it seems that he's quietly very much in the mix on the right. Maybe Parcells wanted to take the heat off Rogers (maybe even more, off himself) with the talk about him going to the left.

Then again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right, and Rogers doesn't even make it out of camp.
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    My main concern about Rogers was his latest shoulder surgery, and that he wouldn't be able to get on the field early enough in training camp.

But maybe his rehab is going well and as a result he will be in the mix to fight for the starting spot at RT?
  10. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks guys...nice summaries.

Rivera comes flat out and says Tucker is "playing with no confidence now". I don't know how that can be dealt with, but perhaps Marco himself can help with it..a little coaching and coaxing from his leftside and maybe Torrin will have enough success to start regaining some confidence.
  11. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good stuff keep up the good work.....Rivera is the man
  12. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Thats my hope actually. Tucker looks the part of a classic mauling right tackle. Maybe with Rivera in his ear all camp saying "Do this", he will get some confidence.

Better than "Dumb and Dumber" over there on the right side last year. I wish we had some game audio of that, it might actually be funny.
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Maybe Tucker's lack of confidence is due to the end of last season when he was benched for a few games? Seems as though it carried over to the off-season when he showed up out of shape. (Though there is no excuse for that.)

I hope Tucker shapes up quickly because BP hates players who aren't mentally tough according to his stringent "BP standards".
  14. cowboyfreak

cowboyfreak Member

492 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this dude is quickly becoming one of my favs!
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,144 Messages
    4,334 Likes Received
    Rivera is doing great - Voller, Rogers and Tucker doing great - Petitti doing great - how many guys can we start up front again? ;)

With Campbell coming back and a O-line playing well again, our running game should really rock. Oh, we got some RB's to handle the load as well don't we!!! :D
  16. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,101 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Rivera will have a huge impact on the field and in the locker room. This is something this franchise has truly lacked, true leaders. Hard workers will not tolerate a bum on their team. BP will let the l;eaders in the locker room police the team. GO Marco!
  17. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    If we can shore up that RT spot this line is going to be off-the-hook sick!!

I've got a feeling we're not going to be passing a whole hell of a lot. This is going to be a running team that passes when they need to.

We may even pass to set up the run like in 2003, but with much better results.
  18. Nors

Nors Benched

22,015 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rogers is our best Hope -

Would be great if he could have a redshirt Freshman season like Al Johnson did last year. Its all about his health. He's a player and smart!
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft Day/2004/Round2Picks.htm

Pro Football Weekly's pick by pick analysis.

We've seen the con, I hope we see the pro. He's a good football player once he gets on the field.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,548 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    Well Rivera seems to have hopes for all three. That's good as someone should rise to the top and we will have good depth.