1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Marcus Lattimore pulls off 'impossible' muscle gain in rehab

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 19, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,672 Messages
    1,489 Likes Received
    Watch out Adrian Peterson, there's a new rehabilitation stud.

South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore suffered a catastrophic knee injury in an Oct. 27 game against Tennessee. Six days later, orthopedist James Andrews' team was completely rebuilding Lattimore's right knee, repairing the ACL, LCL and PCL.

Lattimore, 21, was determined to turn the second major knee injury of his career into the next great comeback story. He's already gained 20 pounds of muscle and could play in 2013, Andrews says.

"I want to be an inspiration," Lattimore told USA TODAY Sports. "To let people know that with hard work, and when you trust in God, you can come back from anything and do anything."

Andrews says Lattimore is three months ahead of schedule on his rehab, and his work ethic has been on par with Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings running back and Andrews patient who came within 9 yards of the single-season rushing record after tearing his ACL the previous season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/19/marcus-lattimore-rehab/1930751/
  2. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

325 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    There is only one thing that produce 20lbs of muscle;steroids.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Yep. But he's probably on a prescription for them. Would be hard to determine exactly what he might be using and what is prescribed.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,289 Messages
    4,608 Likes Received
    No to drafting a RB with a history of injuries... We have that with the current starter as is.
  5. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,914 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    what if he is AP like? not saying he is but what if? especially in round 3. But we have too many other needs but drafting for need could hurt u more than drafting for talent.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,080 Messages
    4,557 Likes Received
    He lost muscle mass and has gained it back. 20 lbs isn't much to lose in a premier athlete post knee reconstruction. I seriously doubt if he's added another 20 to his playing weight of 220-230. There's no need to add anabolic steroids to his regimen.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

That's interesting Jobs. I've had three knee surgeries and I've never not been prescribed some type of Steroid during rehabilitation.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    5,901 Likes Received
    I wonder how many of the press releases are being generated by his agent?
  9. jobberone

39,080 Messages
    4,557 Likes Received
    Well that wasn't my thing although I helped with rehab and I've been retired for awhile so I may be out of the loop ABQ. That was not done ten years ago in my area. My point remains that losing that much weight postop and regaining it with just exercise/rehab is not unusual. Have GH or anabolic steroids would build muscle back more quickly obviously.
  10. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Frank Gore
  11. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I don't doubt your knowledge in the area Jobs. In fact, I trust it and I can't help but wonder why it has always been prescribed to me for the same kind of rehabs. Seems like if it could have been avoided, that would have and should have been the better option.

I guess I'm calling you this next time my friend.

:)
  12. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

Frank Gore/McGahee are good examples of RB's who recovered from bad injuries and had nice careers. My concern is that this is the 2nd straight season he had a devastating knee injury. That is going to take a toll on his knee.
  13. jobberone

39,080 Messages
    4,557 Likes Received
    No no. You'd be exactly the opposite kind of patient for me. I don't do much more than read anymore so I'm definitely out of the loop for some things. The timetable for rehab for knees has been more than halved in the last ten years. I find that fascinating. And steroids make a lot of sense to me.
  14. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,045 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I would be all over this guy in the forth but I think he may be gone by then. I might consider him in the third if we addressed both lines first and his health checks out.
  15. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,065 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I would disagree about the last ten years I think it is the last couple of years, I have heard of some therapy involving drugs that reduce bone mending time almost in half maybe(Eskimo would know) something has changed and I doubt it is roids(too many harmful side effects). I have had a couple of knee procedures and these guys are running and cutting before I could really walk normal and I was cut on by the cowboy knee surgeon. Dr James Andrews has always been the top knee and joint guy down in Mobile Alabama and he has done both Peterson and Lattimore. I have always said it is the mind that takes the longest rehab as I never fully trusted the repair for a couple of years and that trust makes you pause before making a move.
  16. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    What type of steroids though? I don't think Anabolic Steroids are legal in any capacity (though I'm likely wrong on that one).
  17. xout

xout Believer

487 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a Gamecock fan I've followed Lat's career closely. He's got the work ethic and the physical talent to overcome this, and he will. Any team that passes on him in the 3rd or beyond will be sorry one day. He's going to be a stud.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received

I don't recall any longer Rack. I'm sure that there are differences between the type normally prescribed and the type used by many athletes but I don't know how sophisticated the testing might be for such differences in the NFL or Combine. I am certain their are tests that could determine the differences but I am not sure if those are administered at the Combine.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,584 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Hmmm... I know every time I get my knees injected they offer to inject a steroid as well, but it's not the illegal "get buff" type of steroid.
  20. jobberone

39,080 Messages
    4,557 Likes Received
    If they talk about injecting steroid in a joint then its the anti-inflammtory kind not the muscle building anabolic steroid. Prescribing anabolic steroids is not illegal if done for the right purposes. Many older guys take replacement testosterone on a daily basis.