1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mark Barron vs Roy Williams Question

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by garyv, Mar 29, 2012.

1. interestedobserver

interestedobserver New Member

167 Messages
    0 Likes Received

He fell off a cliff, but back in the day he was pretty damn good.
  2. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I heard him interviewed one time on Jim Rome when he was still with us and it was obvious he had enough of the physical part of the game. You could sense by his comments that he didn't like the hitting anymore and was concerned about being healthy when his career was over.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,940 Messages
    5,597 Likes Received
    Correct. You can't overlook the dip in performance without Woodson.

Plus football was never all that important to Roy. Before he entered the league, he talked about having a 5 or 6 year career.

I have never been more disappointed in a Cowboy player.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,243 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    If I had to guess, I'd say it was Kelly Rowland who did that more then the game but who really knows?
  5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    As a Cowboys fan, it was sad witnessing the decline of the once fierce Roy Williams. As a human being, though, I can understand his lukewarm attitude toward a game that leaves many players physically damaged for the rest of their lives. At the end of the day, I too would prefer to "hit" Kelly Rowland than big, bulky guys running at me at full speed.

;)
  6. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Roy never had it in him, IMO. His decline seemed to coincide with Rowland, but I remember reading before the draft that he wanted to retire in 8 years.

He was so good the first couple of years, but I think it was in him to quit right from the beginning.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I don't even see Barron as that much of an enforcer or heavy tackler. I read it in his draft profiles, but I don't see it on film. I mean, he can lay out a defenseless guy who doesn't see him coming, but that's not a big deal. Midget cornerbacks can do that. He doesn't stop guys dead in their tracks. He's tall and high cut. I see him getting dragged around by the ball carrier on his YouTube videos for extra yardage. He does look to be a better all around ahtlete than Roy. He does occassionally drop down into the box in nickel and cover slot WRs and tight ends in man. He looks more like a Darren Sharper type to me.
  8. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    If we are trading out of 14 or picking a safety at 14, I really want him to be an explosive player or a big time ball hawk.

Ed Reed had 9 interceptions in 1 year and 21 for his career at Miami. Earl Thomas and Eric Berry were explosive athletes that can cover slot receivers all over the field. I don't see Barron taking anybody 1 on 1. He looks like a guy who knows all the assignments and angles in a VERY conservative defense and he did not let anything go over his head.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I agree. I see a smart, well rounded player who can probably step in Day 1.

I do not see any sizzle or "Wow" factor.
  10. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bucky Brooks stated that Mark Barron looked good today in his workout, and he was only about 80% right now. I saw a little clip of him, and Barron was moving very good, imo. Also, Brooks said that Barron would probably come off the board in the middle of the first round, so he should be in play for the Cowboys, imo. Mike Lombardi stated that he would use a top 15 pick on Barron. Mayock thinks Barron is a top 20 pick on tape, alone.

Barron isn't Eric Berry or Earl Thomas, but those guys are extremely rare. Berry was a top 5 pick. Berry has CB and safety skills in a safety's body, and he can play anywhere or line up in the slot or drop down in the box or play deep or line up wide. Casserly had Berry ranked number 1 in his draft class.

Barron can play at all levels of the defense (1st, 2nd, or 3rd), and that includes his demonstrated good range in the deep middle. Barron has the skill set to cover TEs or running backs one-on-one, too. Saban's baby is his nickel defense. That is where Saban makes his money on defense. That is where Alabama kills teams on defense. Furthermore, Barron was the heart or star of that defensive set, because he could play on all three levels of the defense and play them all well. Barron has good movement skills, and he is a good, tough, solid, instinctive football player. Lombardi and Casserly were talking about all this stuff on NFL Network. One of them stated that Barron would play a long, long time. Barron would be a solid, good, safe investment, imo.

Barron would be Dallas' best safety (by far), and he starts day one if the Cowboys get him, so he's worth a first round pick for the Cowboys, imo.

This is the type of player that the Cowboys defense needs, imo. That defense needs all the help that it can get. There will be no need to red-shirt this guy. Barron is ready to start and make a significant impact in the secondary.

Again, Mark Barron should be on Dallas' short list, imo. They could do a whole lot worse, imo.
  11. cowboysooner

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I think he is a good solid player but no spectacular plays. I hope we don't pick at 14 or higher for a very long time and it is really hard to get a passrusher or a defensive lineman that can play on the other side of the line of scrimmage in the 20's. I hope we take advantage of this "rare" opportunity like we did last year.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Yea, he is a good, solid player and will be a safe pick in that the bust factor is pretty low considering his career at Bama.

I just dont see him as a premium player. You can always get safeties in the middle of the first round, its those edge rushers and offensive lineman that go in the teens.

We have to take advantage of drafting this high and get one of those premium players, taking a safety at 14 would be just dumb and wasting a golden opportunity here.
  13. cowboysooner

1,381 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    I don't think the Alabama 2dary guys are low risk sure things. People said he same thing about Kareem Jackson and he can't play dead. People thought that the raiders getting rolando McClain was a safe, smart pick at 8. He is an average inside linebacker because he can't run that well and can easily be had in coverage.

We are going to be in a division with 2 qbs who run 4.4 plus tons of speedy receivers and backs like Maclin Jackson McCoy garçon helu Cruz etc. we can't try to play afc north big guy football. We are essentially a dome team. We need to favor speed and athleticism above size. We have a ton of good players who are more athletic than their position averages like ware Ratliff carter sensebaugh Carr lee jenkins. We need to continue to build our d like that.
  14. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This is the issue.

Let's say we stay at 14 for the moment.

What premium players do you expect to even be there?

DeCastro, Kuechly, maybe Coples (though I think he will be gone)?

Luck, RGIII, Kalil, Claiborne, Blackmon, and Richardson will likely be long gone.

And it doesn't seem we would go for Kuechly anyway. Reading the tea leaves, the team appears more interested in drafting an Center than an OG (though I would pick DeCastro).

If we are unable to trade out of 14, I don't see more than 3 premium guys available, and quite possibly only 1 guy of the 3 guys I mentioned above will be there.

IF you can't trade down (or want to trade up), I think we need to take the solid guy who can start right away, play more muliple years (hopefully) at a high level - though perhaps not at a "great" level.

Personally, I would draft DeCastro in the scenario I painted above. But other than him, I don't necessarily see a premium player - or at least who most of us consider an elite player as of today - available at 14 (outside of Kuechly, who I doubt we pick).
  15. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    yea, this was largely ignored at the time, but has been brought up several times since his release. definately should've been a red flag for a college all american and projected top 10 pick to only want to play 8 or so years.
  16. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,324 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    If he had stuck to his word then his legacy would have been so much different. Maybe Roy should have stuck to his guns and retired after 2006.
  17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I'm in the minority here in agreeing with this.
  18. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Once he became a holy-roller, he never played with the same intensity that he had played with early in his career too. It's like god told him not to hit people so hard anymore. :laugh2:
  19. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think it probably had more to do with the physical breakdown of his body more than finding religion or losing a girlfriend. Those crippling hits aren't as fun when you're the guy getting crippled. Further, his entire game was based on reckless abandon and completely trusting his gut instincts. Once he lost even a little bit of confidence or started hesitating for half a second, he was just another dime a dozen in the box strong safety dinosaur. Whatever "edge" he had was always tenuous and likely temporary. It was fun to watch while he had it, though.