1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Marquise Goodwin, Jesse Williams will be stars of NFL combine

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 19, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    1) Texas WR Marquise Goodwin
    Goodwin is my leading candidate to create the most buzz with his combine performance. He won the long jump title at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials (27 feet, 4.25 inches) before finishing 10th in the London Olympics. He is obviously going to jump extremely well in Indianapolis and I won't be shocked if he sneaks under 4.30 in the 40-yard dash.

2) Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson
    Before moving to offensive tackle at Oklahoma, Johnson lined up as a quarterback, tight end and defensive end. He is incredibly athletic for a 300-pounder and he's been timed in the 4.7s. He had a dominant week at the Senior Bowl and the buzz should continue to build when he posts some eye-popping numbers at the combine.

3) Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden
    Gooden really helped his stock with a solid Senior Bowl performance. Now he's going to get a chance to really wow evaluators with his speed and explosiveness. Last spring, NFL scouts timed Gooden at 4.39 and he's also posted a 40-inch vertical during his time in the Missouri strength program. He is expected to post around 30 reps on the 225-pound bench test.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/0a...n-jesse-williams-will-be-stars-of-nfl-combine
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,746 Messages
    5,908 Likes Received
    My favorite of all those might be Menelik Watson. He is a very impressive physical specimen and, IMO, is not as raw of a player as reported by some draft analysts.

3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Not that the 40 is at all the msot important number,
    but does nayone think Goodwin can beat the all-time NFL Combine record of 4.24 set by Chris Johnson?
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,492 Likes Received
    Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
    Menelik Watson is going to kill the NFL Combine. Former basketball player. Former boxer. Current FSU left tackle. Hype machine is ready.
    Expand

17 mins Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    @nfldraftscout - He has bad tech, but has TONS of upside. I can't find him playing LT at FSU, played RT in every game I evaluated.
    Expand

17 mins Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
    @RUSSLANDE Typo on my part, thanks for the catch. Looks like an amazing athlete. Think he'll blow people away this weekend.
    Expand

14 mins Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    @nfldraftscout - Agreed very athletic, but on ground WAY too often for a top athlete. I like him, do not love him.
    Expand

12 mins Bryan Perez ‏@FirstRoundGrade
    @RUSSLANDE @nfldraftscout any thoughts on where he goes, Russ? I think he climbs into top-20.
    Expand

10 mins Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    @FirstRoundGrade @nfldraftscout - Considering he only played 2 years of football & has rare strength & natural athleticism, it is possible.
    Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
    2:11 p.m. - Feb 19, 2013 ยท Details

8 mins Bryan Perez ‏@FirstRoundGrade
    @RUSSLANDE @nfldraftscout my thoughts, to a tee, Russ. I can't see a team not being extremely excited about him.
    Expand

11 mins Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
    @nfldraftscout - Totally get it, he is one of most interesting players in Draft & has worlds of physical talent & amazing upside.
    View conversation
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,207 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    I really do like OLB Zaviar Gooden. In the Cowboys 34 scheme, he isn't a player we would have even looked at. In Kiffin's scheme he is a fit and a very interesting prospect. His instincts aren't fully developed yet and I kind of question how physical the guy is... but he is a suberb athlete for his size and position.

At the very least he will be a terror on special teams.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    No, I don't think he will.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Like seeing Tavon Austin on the list.

Saw a tweet last week where Todd McShay said Austin. Was the fastest player he ever saw on game tape.
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,730 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Starting to see more mocks with the Cowboys taking Oklahoma's Lane Johnson. It this happens, expect to see Tyron Smith back at RT. Johnson is not a RT. And he is better athlete than Smith. Johnson may have only a few years of OL experience but he actually had more college experience at LT than Smith did.
  9. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I agree if Lane Johnson is available and the other Dline at tier 1 are gone lets pull the trigger. Worst case we have the BPA and strengthen our line at a critical and expensive position(compared to FA). If this happened it would be fine in my book:

1. Lane Johnson
    2. Sylvester Williams/William Gholston are shooting up the list
    3. Barrett Jones best center and one of the best guards in draft(one here on the board say third rd, the same guy who says the guard from Stanford DeCastro was not that talented because he went 24th):bow:
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received