1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Maryland Bans Employers From Social Media Tactics

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    http://news.yahoo.com/maryland-bans-employers-asking-employee-social-media-passwords-033603162.html

Maryland became the first state in the U.S. to ban employers from asking their employees and applicants for the passwords to their personal social media accounts.

A state Democratic-led effort co-sponsored the bill, which “prohibits an employer from requiring or requesting employees or job applicants to disclose electronic passwords, such as for social media sites,” reported Herald-Mail.com. Maryland American Civil Liberties Union Legislative Director Melissa Goemann told The Daily Caller that despite the Democratic leadership, support for the bill was largely bipartisan.

Though I said I would not care if asked for my Facebook password, I do think this is a right step and I hope other states follow.
  2. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's sad that there needs to be laws like these. I could never imagine a situation as a hiring manager where I felt the need to inquire about someones private social media habits.

For me its unthinkable.
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good to hear.
  4. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The US should do it so the states don't have to waste money implementing the same thing 50 times.
  5. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,624 Messages
    293 Likes Received

I was thinking that after I read the post.
  6. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    HUH? This seems very strange to me. For what reason would an employer ever ask for your Facebook password? I'm just not getting it. I'm not acting dense on purpose.

Why on earth would a law need to be made for this? Is there a law on the books that say your employer can't ask you for your online banking password?
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,183 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    I found this link off one of my FB friends page. She a social media guru and she linked to this article..

What to Do When A Potential Employer Asks for Your Facebook Password

Let’s go over some things you can do to protect yourself on a job interview. Don’t forget: You have the right to a personal life and your privacy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Put it Eloquently

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are asked for your password, here are some things you can say, in an eloquent and respectful manner, to show you will stand your ground:

“I am very careful with my personal, private online persona and do not feel comfortable giving out any passwords. But you can feel free to look at my profile as it appears to you as a company right now, if you would like.”
    “I would never participate in social media on the organization’s time and ask that the organization will respect my personal social media rights outside of work.”

“My LinkedIn network is a great place for you to review my professional experience and see the professional connections that I have that may be of benefit to your organization.”

“Is that something that is required to move forward with this job interview?”

If you don’t like the prospective employer’s answer to the last question (or any of the statements above), you can decide if you would not like to move forward with the interview. It is your profile and your privacy, and you have the right to protect it. So, take control and make it your decision.

Read lots more: http://mashable.com/2012/04/08/employer-facebook-password/

------------
    I really like the LinkedIn idea and will add mine to my resume...
  8. MonsterD

3,624 Messages
    293 Likes Received

It is kinda like the finding out more info on you like your credit history and scores. They want to know things like, if you drink a lot. party a lot, do certain things that might be indicative, etc. The problem with the password thing is like others have pointed out, that there are more people involved than just you. I think it is a violation not only to facebook, but a violation of other people in the photos or posts, etc, they are being exposed too, and that is treading on their privacy.
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea, I can understand them viewing your page, but asking for your password? by password, do they actually mean allowing the employer to view your page as if they were your friend?
  10. MonsterD

3,624 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Yes they want to see what you can see, completely uncensored.
  11. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I had no earthly idea an employer could ask you for that type of stuff.
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yep, so can CZers. What's your facebook password? :D
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    another reason for staying away from all of that.

I can understand why employers want to see; think of all the stupid stuff people do on their facebook and other pages. You can tell if a person is a drinker, does drugs, etc.