1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mawae wonders why he was let go

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by STSINAZ, Mar 7, 2006.

1. STSINAZ

STSINAZ Active Member

2,845 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jets
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JETS
    Mawae wonders why he was let go

BY KEN BERGER
    STAFF WRITER

March 7, 2006

Kevin Mawae was disappointed but not surprised when he learned last week something he'd begun to suspect for some time: The Jets' rebuilding project would not include him.

"I still believe that I'm probably the best guy on the market," Mawae said on a conference call with reporters yesterday, less than 24 hours after the Jets ended his eight-year run as their center.

"I guess people look down on 35-year-old centers who make the Pro Bowl six times."

Agent Mark Bartelstein said it didn't make any sense for Mawae to "go backwards" at this point in his career, a reference to the Jets' decision to start over on offense.

"There's nothing more that I'd love than to retire as a New York Jet," Mawae said. "My name has been known in New York for quite some time and I've been successful here.

" ... It's not about the money, but it's about winning a championship. From this point, I'm going to go to the team that gives me the best chance to win the Super Bowl."

Bartelstein said several teams called yesterday with interest, and one is believed to be the Eagles.

Mawae, regarded as the best center in the NFL for most of his time with the Jets, said he's fully recovered from the torn left triceps that ended his 2005 season.

Though he said he has no regrets and isn't angry, it's telling that a player of Mawae's caliber had only vague conversations with coach Eric Mangini about his future.

"We never talked about my contract," Mawae said. " ... He said he wants smart players willing to do the little things the right way. I thought I would be one of those guys, but I didn't fit in their plans."
  2. MrRedskin28

MrRedskin28 Benched

27 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thats like if Jr Seau wondered why he was released....
  3. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,677 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    He has to come out and say it though, if he went "I'm old and injury prone" - not to many teams would be calling him.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,016 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    ... or LaRoi Glover wondering why he was released.

Let's hope JJ doesn't go out and throw away another $10 mil in signing bonus money to a 35 year old player.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Kevin, you're 35 and the Jets have no money, and you make alot...

that's what I would tell Kevin on a loudspeaker, from a few thousand feet away ;)
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So he could be reunited with Parcells :D
  7. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,360 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
  8. Phoenix-Talon

Phoenix-Talon Eagles Fan Liaison

5,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ...Or TO wondering why He's being released.:rolleyes:
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ok, the joke was funny the 1st 2 tries...