1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mayock Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Feb 15, 2013.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Quarterback
    1. Geno Smith, West Virginia
    2. Matt Barkley, USC
    3. Mike Glennon, NC State
    4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
    5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Running Back
    1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama
    2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
    3. Andre Ellington, Clemson
    4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
    5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

Wide Receiver
    1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
    2. Keenan Allen, Cal
    3. Terrance Williams, Baylor
    4. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
    5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Tight End
    1. Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1...ecombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Mayock loves Dion Jordan, Barrett Jones not so much.
  3. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,942 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    This is probably the worst offensive draft at the skill positions that I can ever remember.
  4. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,647 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    Center

1. Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
    2. Brian Schwenke, Cal
    3. Barrett Jones, Alabama
    4. Khaled Holmes, USC
    5. Braxston Cave, Notre Dame
    Guard

1. Chance Warmack, Alabama
    2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
    3. Larry Warford, Kentucky
    4. Kyle Long, Oregon
    5. Brian Winters, Kent State
    -------------------

Why is no one talking about these two guys? I want us to draft them 2nd-3rd round, they seem an ideal fit in our scheme.

5. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,415 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    How far could Landry Jones fall?
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,336 Likes Received
    OT
    T-5. Justin Pugh, Syracuse (OT with 31.5 arms ?)

DT
    1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida (Over Lotulelei ?)
    2. Star Lotulelei, Utah

OLB
    1. Dion Jordan, Oregon (I agree with this one)
    2. Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Safety
    5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame (over Swearinger and multiple others good Safeties ?)

OG
    4. Kyle Long, Oregon (not ready to play OG in the NFL at 6-6, 304)
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,336 Likes Received
    Brian Winters over Kyle Long all day.

There is not a drastic talent difference between any of the top 4 Centers, IMO. If Frederick really comes to the combine at 315 lbs (down from 338) he has a chance to really impress. His quickness was borderline at 338, but at 315 he could look like a completely different player.

I personally like Khalad Holmes as much as any of the other 3.
  8. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Safety
    5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame (over Swearinger and multiple others good Safeties ?)

Motta wouldn't have been the best Safety at Notre Dame if Slaughter hadn't got injured...
  9. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    I wouldnt draft him at all.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
    Looking over Mayock's rankings, good to see he has OL Barrett Jones rated lower...I think there's a good chance he falls to the 3rd round
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
  11. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,109 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    I would take him in the 2nd,he has some strength issues but he is a fighter.
  12. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    I'm starting to get really intrigued by Manelik Watson. He's got pretty much every tool you would look for in a RT. Still very raw and needs coaching, but he could be a steal in the 2nd round. I think he has a much brighter future at RT than Fluker honestly.
  13. MonsterD

3,647 Messages
    302 Likes Received

Never was that enamored with Jones, and for sure I would take Schwenke over him, a guy that has great athleticism and can still handle power blocking.
  14. MonsterD

3,647 Messages
    302 Likes Received
    100% agree he might be a 2nd rounder although I think he still could be a 3rd.

Problem is all the teams will want to get a developmental LT and he is one that is perfect.

Another guy that will go later and is at least as athletic as him is Terron Armstead from a tiny school Arkasas-Pine Bluff I see him as a possible G but I think he would be a great RT.
  15. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

3,071 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    We've got one of those already... Costa.
  16. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,699 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    I like Armstead too. Especially before the SR Bowl when I thought he could be a late day steal. He would be ideal as the blocking TE as he gains more experience and strength in the pros. He reminds me a bit of Brian Waters.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    nothing too shocking. everyone has some preferences.

the qb class is absolutely horrid imho.
    dont have any issues with the rest of the offense. not a stellar offensive class but after qb the positions are about average.

i also believe barrett jones is a 3rd round type guy. issue with him is will he get any better? he rather is what he is. a smallish, not so powerful technician. wish i had senior bowl tape of him. right now i believe we have barrett jones and his name is david arkin.

i think richardson is every bit as good as fletcher cox last year. so he is prolly gone by 18 but that's my early target.
    if not him then possibly an RT/RG.

i dont love any of these safeties enough to draft them at 18.
    but i do want to come out of this draft with one. we need some depth at the position.

i like the wr and rb classes. maybe r5/r6 positions. depth guys who can be given roles day 1.
  18. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    Costa and Barrett Jones arent even comparable though. Phil Costa was a lightly recruited 2 star prospect who started 2 years for a poor Maryland team and then went undrafted. Barrett Jones is the polar opposite. Highly recruited high school stud who won awards playing on the best team and o-line in all of college football.

Not saying Jones doesn't have his flaws, but Costa isn't even in the same world as Jones. Jones would be immediately better than Costa from day 1.

WOW. Now people are going to compare David "Bleeping" Arkin to Barrett Jones??? Really!? What the hell is going on here. Arkin clearly doesn't even belong in the NFL. Are we going to act like Barrett Jones didn't dominate the SEC? Im not even really a big Barrett Jones fan, but this is ridiculous.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    What's ridiculous is the constant overrating of draft prospects.

Barrett Jones was undoubtedly a better college player than either Costa or Arkin. They haven't been in college for quite a while. They have been working year round with NFL personnel.

Barrett Jones didn't dominate the SEC. He played well but wasn't anywhere near his team's most dominant player. He was a tactical guy who got the job done but he wasn't moving folks the way Chance and Fluker did.

Barrett may well be maxed out which would suggest he has upside limit around where Costa and Arkin are now. Marginally strong enough to play in the NFL and have to rely on nastiness and technique.

Bama didn't even have Barrett single block studs inside. He had helped or simply walled guys.

This is why the fan base is crying in their beers every year.
    They believe mid round picks are day 1 pro bowlers or some nonsense after the draft hype. It just doesn't work that way very often at all.
  20. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,061 Messages
    647 Likes Received
    You're forgetting the fact that he was arguably the best LT in all of college football his junior year. No, he's not a huge mauler like Fluker or Warmack but his strength is adequate. If it wasn't it would have been exposed in the SEC (AKA the minor leagues of the NFL). Not saying Jones is going to be a pro bowler or anything, but comparing him to Arkin or Costa is flat out dumb.