1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mccain does not support our troops

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by yeahyeah, Sep 1, 2008.

1. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - Since everyone is at least a bit familiar with John McCain’s record when it comes to strolling through a market in Baghdad with hundreds of his closest guards, or how he wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years (except when he flip flops on that).
    But not that many really, truly know just how horrific his voting record is when it comes to the troops. And it is pretty consistent – whether it is for armor and equipment, for veteran’s health care, for adequate troop rest or anything that actually, you know, supports our troops.
    This is chock full of links to the roll call votes, and the roll call votes have links to the actual underlying bills and amendments. I present this so that there is support and things that can be rattled off when saying that McCain is not a friend of the military. Feel free to use it as you want, but this can be tied into the "Double Talk Express". But here is a very quick statement - John McCain skipped close to a dozen votes on Iraq, and on at least another 10 occasions, he voted against arming and equipping the troops, providing adequate rest for the troops between deployments and for health care or other benefits for veterans.
    In mid 2007, Senator Reid noted that McCain missed 10 of the past 14 votes on Iraq. However, here is a summary of a dozen votes (two that he missed and ten that he voted against) with respect to Iraq, funding for veterans or for troops, including equipment and armor. I have also included other snippets related to the time period when the vote occurred.

September 2007: McCain voted against the Webb amendment calling for adequate troop rest between deployments. At the time, nearly 65% of people polled in a CNN poll indicted that "things are going either moderately badly or very badly in Iraq.

July 2007: McCain voted against a plan to drawdown troop levels in Iraq. At the time, an ABC poll found that 63% thought the invasion was not worth it, and a CBS News poll found that 72% of respondents wanted troops out within 2 years.

March 2007: McCain was too busy to vote on a bill that would require the start of a drawdown in troop levels within 120 days with a goal of withdrawing nearly all combat troops within one year. Around this time, an NBC News poll found that 55% of respondents indicated that the US goal of achieving victory in Iraq is not possible. This number has not moved significantly since then.

February 2007: For such a strong supporter of the escalation, McCain didn’t even bother to show up and vote against a resolution condemning it. However, at the time a CNN poll found that only 16% of respondents wanted to send more troops to Iraq (that number has since declined to around 10%), while 60% said that some or all should be withdrawn. This number has since gone up to around 70%.

June 2006: McCain voted against a resolution that Bush start withdrawing troops but with no timeline to do so.

May 2006: McCain voted against an amendment that would provide $20 million to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for health care facilities.

April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators to vote against $430,000,000 for the Department of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans.

March 2006: McCain voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.

March 2004: McCain once again voted for abusive tax loopholes over veterans when he voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans' medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating abusive tax loopholes. Jeez, McCain really loves those tax loopholes for corporations, since he voted for them over our veterans' needs.

October 2003: McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd that called for an additional $322,000,000 for safety equipment for United States forces in Iraq and to reduce the amount provided for reconstruction in Iraq by $322,000,000.

April 2003: McCain urged other Senate members to table a vote (which never passed) to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq related to a shortage of helmets, tents, bullet-proof inserts, and tactical vests.

August 2001: McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650,000,000. To his credit, he also voted against the 2001 Bush tax cuts, which he now supports making permanent, despite the dire financial condition this country is in, and despite the fact that he indicated in 2001 that these tax cuts unfairly benefited the very wealthy at the expense of the middle class.
    So there it is. John McCain is yet another republican former military veteran who likes to talk a big game when it comes to having the support of the military. Yet, time and time again, he has gone out of his way to vote against the needs of those who are serving in our military. If he can’t even see his way to actually doing what the troops want, or what the veterans need, and he doesn’t have the support of veterans, then how can he be a credible commander in chief?

http://www.veteransforcommonsense.org/articleid/9559

Veterans for Common Sense
    Post Office Box 15514
    Washington, DC 20003
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    you are such a neo-maxi-zoon-dweetie.

you know damn good and well he does only it's your "job" to slam the other side with a pack of lies.

yet you have the audicity to call someone else a liar.

like i've said, people like you will lie cheat and steal to tell someone else they lied. only it's ok for you.
  3. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why do you attack me slushy? Attack the data..refute it.
    Dont attack the messenger.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
  5. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    gtorres?

gimmetheball?

no one else has EVER called me that. someone just busted themselves up pretty hard.

HOS - WG - BP - can you check IPs here?

and gimmetheball, when you say something stupid, i have no need to refute it when i can just say "stupid" and move on.
  6. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
  7. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama personally kills babies and kittens.
  8. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:lmao2:

No he is a TERRORIST AND A MUSLIM...get it right :D
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,813 Likes Received
    The IPs do not match nor do the states. So this is not the same person unless they are using a mask/anonymous portal service.

Furthermore...Please report posts for personal attacks BEFORE you do one yourself and then report the person for retaliating.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,765 Messages
    2,813 Likes Received
    The above article contains some of the reasons that really turned me against McCain.

I figured he, above the other politicians, would put the troops first...instead he put his election chances first.

Thought he was a maverick, turns out he was nothing more than another politician...guess I should have known better.:(
  11. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    which is possible. but yea, hard to validate at that point.

i did report it and hos got back to me. the rest just seems standard state of the forum in here when you have mr extreme out here stirring up the pot.
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,610 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    1) Why is everything in italics? Are you trying to tell us this article is slanted? I think we can figure that out for ourselves.

Why do we need Congress to tell the military to provide adequate rest between deployments? I think the military is probably better suited to decide that. Why make a law that would dictate that? It only serves to weaken officers' power, thereby weakening the military.

The second sentence has no relevance to the Webb Amendment. It doesn't make more or less helpful.

So voting against a plan that reduces troop levels, thereby leaving the forces over there with less resources = "not supporting the troops." yeah (yeah)... if you have a slanted view on it.

Again the second sentence there is irrelevant.

Too busy to vote = "I don't support troops." Let's check Obama's voting record on the war.

5/24/07 -- Vote 191 - Obama was one of 14 votes against a $120 million military funding package. 37 democrats supported this bill.

OMGZORZ!! He hates troops!!!!!11!!!

Second and third sentences irrelevant.

This doesn't make any sense. Escalation of what? If he was a strong supporter of it, why would he vote to condemn it?

If I want to make assumptions for the lack of the writer to make sense, I would say that this was a resolution condemning the escalation of violence in Iraq. If my assumption is correct, then what in the world does a resolution condemning the violence accomplish? Are the people committing the violent acts going to suddenly say, "oh we better back off, because the US Congress thousands of miles away has condemned our actions!"??

So did 53 other Republicans. Clearly known as the party that doesn't support troops.

4 Democrats voted for this amendment. That means McCain voted with the Dems. That means Obama voted against this bill. Fail.

All 13 votes against this were Repubs. Again, the party that is known for not supporting troops :rolleyes:

Makes me think that there was something about the bill that was included that they didn't agree with, but there is no link to the text provided.

This vote was strictly along party lines. 54 nays, all Repubs. 46 yeas... 44 Dems, 1 Repub, 1 Independent.

46 yeas, 45 Dems, 1 Independent... 51 nays, 50 Repubs, 1 Dem.

How is this not supporting the troops? They're providing safety equipment for them...

Again, 49 votes for this amendment, 46 Repubs, 2 Dems, 1 Independent. 37 nays, all Dems.

49 votes for this, 46 Repubs, 2 Dems, 1 Independent. 37 nays, all Dems.

52 votes for, 51 Repubs, 1 Dem. 47 nays, 46 dems, 1 independent.

Another snipe piece. After you look at it, the entire article makes zero sense. Makes me wonder if you read what you post yeah yeah, or do you just google "McCain sucks" and post every result you find?
  13. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    pep - all he is out to do is say as many stupid things as he can while he can. no need for truth, just shout out a lot and tell everyone else they're a liar.

he's made my ignore list today.
  14. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    1) Why is everything in italics? Are you trying to tell us this article is slanted? I think we can figure that out for ourselves.

yes this is from a veteraans organization that is opposed to Mccains voting record...I think the only thing slanted are his votes.

2) Why do we need Congress to tell the military to provide adequate rest between deployments? I think the military is probably better suited to decide that. Why make a law that would dictate that? It only serves to weaken officers' power, thereby weakening the military.

The second sentence has no relevance to the Webb Amendment. It doesn't make more or less helpful.

Maybe because funding comes from congress and because the president was overriding pre-existing deployment AEF/deployment cycles...not to mention the number of deployments of National Guard and Reserves.
    The military supported it dude...you ever done 15 months in the sandbox and then had your AEF cycle cut short to be redeployed? You need downtime...to train and recoup...Bush wasnt giving that. The military was following their guidelines congress was trying to help.

Too busy to vote = "I don't support troops." Let's check Obama's voting record on the war.

5/24/07 --
    Vote 191 - Obama was one of 14 votes against a $120 million military funding package. 37 democrats supported this bill.

OMGZORZ!! He hates troops!!!!!11!!!

Second and third sentences irrelevant.

Obama? This is about John "100 year war" Mccain...Obama?...oh but just tween you, me and the wall..obama got alot more in campaign contributions from the troops than Mccain did...money talks buddy.

This doesn't make any sense. Escalation of what? If he was a strong supporter of it, why would he vote to condemn it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/washington/06cong.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

So did 53 other Republicans. Clearly known as the party that doesn't support troops.

$obama$

4 Democrats voted for this amendment. That means McCain voted with the Dems. That means Obama voted against this bill. Fail.

Once again this is about Methuselah...not about the dems..im not a dem..im not a rep

All 13 votes against this were Repubs. Again, the party that is known for not supporting troops :rolleyes:

The troops know....$ $ $ $

This vote was strictly along party lines. 54 nays, all Repubs. 46 yeas... 44 Dems, 1 Repub, 1 Independent.

MAVERICK

How is this not supporting the troops? They're providing safety equipment for them...

to table an amendment by Senator Dodd

Table: To postpone consideration of (a piece of legislation, for example); shelve.

Meanwhile...troops are getting killed by IED's and ghetto uparming vehicles with steel plates and jammin extra body armor in the floor boards.

Another snipe piece. After you look at it, the entire article makes zero sense. Makes me wonder if you read what you post yeah yeah, or do you just google "McCain sucks" and post every result you find?

:rolleyes:
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,668 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  16. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought these two things were a given. ;)
  17. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Lets hold a poll on your favorability rating. If found unfavorable will you go away forever?

18. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,610 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    I'm shocked.
    I'm shocked.

Link? I don't care if Congress funds or not. They don't have their finger on the pulse of the troops. They don't know if their rotational cycle doesn't give enough down time or not. The military does. Earth shattering revelation there, I know.
    Dude...
    You have?
    So Bush was overruling the military's orders on down time between redeployments? Link?

Obama's voting record isn't relevant in this discussion?

Got a link to this supposed campaign contribution bunk? And why do you say "did?" This party ain't over yet. I think you're worried about it.
    Wow. So McCain doesn't vote on a resolution condemning a troop surge, and that means he doesn't support the troops? Quite a leap there... but if you're biased, you don't have to be logical.

Brilliant retort.

Bull. ****.

Like I said, link? I'd appreciate a spreadsheet giving all of McCain's and Obama's military donors, the amount of their donation, their addresses, their branch of service, and rank please. I'll be anxious to see this.

Obama = Change

Even still, the amendment talks about $322 million for either safety or for reconstruction costs. The military is going to be involved in reconstruction. It's just appropriated somewhere else. You can spin this to fit your agenda no matter which way he voted.
    I am astounded at your genius response. Like I said, might want to read next time. That or provide the proof of your claims.
  19. iceberg

27,995 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    providing proof isn't his role here. stirring things up is.
  20. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,974 Messages
    604 Likes Received
    wow. even I think this is BS.