1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mccain is another George W. Bush?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by yeahyeah, Aug 19, 2008.

1. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Russia invades Georgia and President Bush goes on vacation. Our president has spent one-third of his entire two terms in office either at Camp David, Maryland, or at Crawford, Texas, on vacation.
    His time away from the Oval Office included the month leading up to 9/11, when there were signs Osama bin Laden was planning to attack America, and the time Hurricane Katrina destroyed the city of New Orleans.
    Sen. John McCain takes weekends off and limits his campaign events to one a day. He made an exception for the religious forum on Saturday at Saddleback Church in Southern California.
    I think he made a big mistake. When he was invited last spring to attend a discussion of the role of faith in his life with Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, at Messiah College in Pennsylvania, McCain didn't bother to show up. Now I know why.
    It occurs to me that John McCain is as intellectually shallow as our current president. When asked what his Christian faith means to him, his answer was a one-liner. "It means I'm saved and forgiven." Great scholars have wrestled with the meaning of faith for centuries. McCain then retold a story we've all heard a hundred times about a guard in Vietnam drawing a cross in the sand.
    Asked about his greatest moral failure, he cited his first marriage, which ended in divorce. While saying it was his greatest moral failing, he offered nothing in the way of explanation. Why not?

Throughout the evening, McCain chose to recite portions of his stump speech as answers to the questions he was being asked. Why? He has lived 71 years. Surely he has some thoughts on what it all means that go beyond canned answers culled from the same speech he delivers every day.
    He was asked "if evil exists." His response was to repeat for the umpteenth time that Osama bin Laden is a bad man and he will pursue him to "the gates of hell." That was it.
    He was asked to define rich. After trying to dodge the question -- his wife is worth a reported $100 million -- he finally said he thought an income of $5 million was rich.
    One after another, McCain's answers were shallow, simplistic, and trite. He showed the same intellectual curiosity that George Bush has -- virtually none.
    Where are John McCain's writings exploring the vexing moral issues of our time? Where are his position papers setting forth his careful consideration of foreign policy, the welfare state, education, America's moral responsibility in the world, etc., etc., etc.?
    John McCain graduated 894th in a class of 899 at the Naval Academy at Annapolis. His father and grandfather were four star admirals in the Navy. Some have suggested that might have played a role in McCain being admitted. His academic record was awful. And it shows over and over again whenever McCain is called upon to think on his feet.
    He no longer allows reporters unfettered access to him aboard the "Straight Talk Express" for a reason. He simply makes too many mistakes. Unless he's reciting talking points or reading from notes or a TelePrompTer, John McCain is lost. He can drop bon mots at a bowling alley or diner -- short glib responses that get a chuckle, but beyond that McCain gets in over his head very quickly.
    I am sick and tired of the president of the United States embarrassing me. The world we live in is too complex to entrust it to someone else whose idea of intellectual curiosity and grasp of foreign policy issues is to tell us he can look into Vladimir Putin's eyes and see into his soul.
    George Bush's record as a student, military man, businessman and leader of the free world is one of constant failure. And the part that troubles me most is he seems content with himself.
    He will leave office with the country $10 trillion in debt, fighting two wars, our international reputation in shambles, our government cloaked in secrecy and suspicion that his entire presidency has been a litany of broken laws and promises, our citizens' faith in our own country ripped to shreds. Yet Bush goes bumbling along, grinning and spewing moronic one-liners, as though nobody understands what a colossal failure he has been.
    I fear to the depth of my being that John McCain is just like him.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/18/cafferty.mccain/index.html
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,303 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Sorry buddy ..... but Obama was on vacation in Hawaii during this mess.
  3. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama is not POTUS...it is not Obamas call in the Caucusas.
  4. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
  5. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  6. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    McCain is quite shallow minded. You can really tell that he's not nearly as bright as Obama when you hear them talk. Sure, McCain has thought of which one liner to answer which question with. But at least Obama doesn't sound rehearsed and he'll say something knowing it may hurt him.

McCain is playing the safe route because it's really all he can do. If he starts talking too much, people will figure out he's not much brighter than Bush.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    There is no doubt that McCain agrees with Bush on some issues then again you can name most republicans and even some moderate democrats and they too will agree with Bush on some things and they disagree on others. Hell Obama and Ted Kennedy are more alike that Bush and McCain.
  8. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But you're dumber than a flushed turd. Why should we take your word for it?

BTW, ever heard Obama (aka, your hero) off the teleprompter? Brutal.
  9. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's not really the issue discussed in the article, it was just a segue to get to the Saddleback forum examples and the Messiah College absence. Really the article is saying that McCain was never very smart to begin with and that he's slipping even more in his old age.

Like most stories from the news outlets, it's not very good.
  10. zrinkill

33,303 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    The irony of this is astounding
  11. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yeah, for all of his fantastic oratory skills he sure can stumble through sentences when he's not reading a speech.
  12. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    But we don't call you "bbdumb" off the teleprompter for nothing.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You expected him to get irony? He circulates Media Matters swill yet accuses others of being propagandists. "Irony" is not within his grasp. I'm surprised that he even finds his way home at night.
  14. zrinkill

33,303 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received

Now I think Obama is most likely very intelligent. But I can already tell he is not gonna be able to beat McCain in an off the cuff debate.

He reminds me of Clinton in that regard. Clinton had one speech that he always fell back on if he got in trouble .... worded differently .... but basically the same.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

62,420 Messages
    5,948 Likes Received
    95% of the time is not just "some" issues...especially when McCain has reversed himself on "some" issues.
  16. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    You circulate or, rather, regurgitate FOX every day... what is the difference. You don't like Media Matters because they expose, factually, what Rush Limbaugh is.

It seems we've ruffled some feathers in pointing out the outright lies, distortions and hypocrisies of Rush Limbaugh through the sources available through "leftist" media.

Oh Lord, Cajun won't be able to cite "facts" without them being disputed. And bbgun will have to find another source for his news, too.

And they just gave him that big contract--no fair.

Why are you crying about media matters? They're left-wing and bias, obviously. But they still expose rush for the big fat liar he really is.

You just don't like that.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

62,420 Messages
    5,948 Likes Received
    On a side note.

I hope some realize that just because they are at Camp David or other areas that are perceived as vacation spots...it does not mean they are not working. Heck there are times where they go to some spots to specifically work and bring in groups of other people away from the presses eye.
  18. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yeah it will be interesting to see how the debates go. Obama tripping over his own tongue and McCain putting everyone to sleep. Perhaps we can set up a debate drinking game to make them bearable.
  19. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,973 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is very true.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

62,420 Messages
    5,948 Likes Received
    McCain has tripped over his tongue or flat out got things so wrong that Lieberman has had to interject in mid sentence. That or give a pause and give one of those awkward moments where he has that dear in the head lights look.