1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain now has to pick a vice presidential nominee

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rackat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    McCain now has to pick a vice presidential nominee
    By Steve Holland 2 hours, 49 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Now that he is the Republican presidential nominee, John McCain has a big decision ahead of him -- who to choose as his vice presidential running mate. A top priority for him is to pick a running mate whose presence on the ticket would reassure Americans concerned about McCain's age.

McCain is 71 years old and would be the oldest person ever elected to a first presidential term. He has survived a bout with melanoma and suffered harsh treatment as a Vietnam prisoner of war.

Voters do not typically base their vote on the vice presidential choice but they do want to be assured that the running mate would be able to take over if the president were to die or become incapacitated.

When questions arose about Ronald Reagan's age (69) during the 1980 election, Reagan picked one of the men he had vanquished for the Republican presidential nomination, George H.W. Bush, and Bush's reassuring presence largely silenced questions about Reagan.

It is a scenario not lost on the McCain team, which is waiting to seal the Republican presidential nomination before launching a search for the No. 2.

"For Reagan in 1980, age was a big question, was a bigger issue than it is for McCain," said McCain adviser Charlie Black. "The day Reagan picked George Bush, it went away. People looked at it and said, 'Oh, we know this guy, we know he can handle it."'

By contrast, Americans were so disenchanted with Bush's vice president, Dan Quayle, that the Bush team considered but decided against dumping Quayle from the ticket in the elder Bush's 1992 re-election bid, which he lost.

McCain aides made clear McCain is a long way from picking someone, saying the campaign had not yet even begun to set up process by which to evaluate potential vice presidential nominees.

"Obviously there'll have to be decisions on who would be in charge, and how the vetting process would work," said one.

Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian, said McCain has a compelling history as a former Navy fighter pilot and long-time Arizona senator.

"But at 71 years old and afflicted with cancer and a life that has brutalized his body in many ways, I think who he picks is going to be very, very important," Brinkley said. "You're really looking at somebody who over an eight-year period could be president."

NOT NECESSARILY A BALANCING ACT

It does not necessarily mean McCain must pick someone far younger.

"I don't think you're going to balance the ticket on age," said Republican strategist Scott Reed. "Pick someone who is going to help you win and who can step in and serve as president if there is a crisis."

Brinkley said the most reassuring person McCain could pick in the Republican Party would be retired Gen. Colin Powell, a former secretary of state and former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest ranking military position in the Defense Department.

Powell, 70, has said he does not want the job but Brinkley said Republican Party elders might be able to persuade him.

"Powell is someone everyone could imagine as president," Brinkley said.

Two possibilities include Florida Gov. Charlie Crist, 51, who could help McCain win the battleground state of Florida in the November election, and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, 47, who could do the same in Minnesota.
    There are plenty of other names: Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who says she does not want it; South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham or South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford; Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour; Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and former White House budget director Rob Portman, a former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio.

Republican pollster Whit Ayres said McCain's choice may well depend on whether Democrat Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton wins the nomination.

"A vice presidential nominee against one might not be the best choice if you're running against the other," Ayres said. "If it's Clinton, it might place a higher premium on a woman. If it's Obama, it might place a higher premium on an African-American."
    (Editing by David Wiessler)
  2. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Colin Powell - I could see that, and it would be a compelling ticket
    Kay Bailey Hutchison - a good way to battle against Hillary, but not against Obama
    Lindsey Graham - can't see it
    Mark Sanford/Haley Barbour/Rick Perry - no real national profile to help draw people to the ticket
    Rob Portman - most people would say "who?"

Who would you like to see on the ticket, either to help the Dems or the Republicans win the Presidency?
    Romney - May help with conservatives
    Huckabee - may not be a bad choice, at least he is passionate and has some solid ideas
    Guilliani - he would hurt the ticket. Too much personal baggage even though he did well after 9.11
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    He should pick Romney or Huckabee, because they clearly had solid supporters who might then get firmly behind him.
  4. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I would like to see either:

Condi Rice
    Colin Powel
    Huckabee
    Romney

In that order
  5. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd bet on Pawlenty, giving him a boost in MN and maybe Wisconsin, two winnable blue states.

Others who'll get a look will be Tom Ridge if polling shows that McCain has a shot in PA (Rendell won't be able to use the infamous Philadelphia cemetery lists against Ridge) and perhaps the biggest surprise, Duncan Hunter of CA. Everything I've seen shows that CA is going to be in play this cycle and McCain's polling within the margin of error.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Fred Thompson...he would really energized the ticket.
  7. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Condi won't run.

I think Huckabee may have burned his bridge with McCain by hanging in this long, not sure though.

Romney would be the next logical choice but I don't think they were all that close either but neither was Clinton and Gore.

If McCain wanted to lock up the election right now, and if he would accept, he should pick Newt. I don't think Newt would take it but that would rally the conservative base ans certainly energize them.
  8. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pawlenty is a solid guess... he and McCain get along well, that's for sure. As an aside, both are solidly left-of-center on the global warming issue... being two of the biggest Republican names to speak out on the issue.

Hunter... well I like the guy, but I just don't see it. Maybe as SecDef, but not as VP.

Ridge is pro-choice, which I think makes him a non-starter.

I don't think McCain harbors ill-will towards Huckabee. If anything, Huck kept the Republican race slightly more relevant for a short period of time longer. But I don't see him as the choice.

I think Romney would be a front-runner. He has charisma that McCain lacks. But he doesn't help geographically at all.

Newt, well who knows? I think you need to take a 4-year nap on Newt, buddy. Now is not his time. I think he'll be the party's nominee in 2012, though.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    So you think McCain is gonna lose?
  10. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I know you didnt address that question to me. But yes I think he has a good chance of losing. Especially if Obama gets the dem nomination
  11. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Not me ..... I think McCain is the perfect guy to go against Obama or Hillary

Just liberal enough to get some Dems votes ...... but un-liberal enough to rally the Republican base against either.

I will admit that the almost rock star like popularity of Obama worries me.
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,720 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    If he had rock-star like popularity among the actual voting population, he'd have won Ohio and Texas yesterday. But let's not derail the thread.

My guess is the VP is Huckabee. It just makes too much sense politically. It would shore up the South (particularly MO and VA).
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He's just being realistic. :D
  14. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Thats a good point

I agree with that as well ..... except that I think Romney would actually sway the conservative vote more.
  15. zrinkill

32,795 Messages
    548 Likes Received
    Hush You!

;)
  16. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think it matters... even if he wins in 2008, I don't think McCain would run for a second term due to his age. But a lot can happen between now and then, so you never know.

I actually think things are looking up for McCain in the general. I'd put him at favorable odds to win the thing.

If he does and doesn't run for a second term, obviously his running mate, whoever that would be, is a prohibitive favorite for the 2012 nomination, but I think there would be other suitors as well.

If the Democrat wins, then I think Newt would be a strong candidate in 2012.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,025 Messages
    3,239 Likes Received
    Not to Newt...and I hope he never wins anything. Don't like that guy. Such a hypocrite.

Many say Romney but I hope not. They don't get along and he bothers me.

Huckabee. Maybe, don't know if there is a chance of him doing it but who knows. I think he is a man of good morals and character even if I disagree with him in many areas concerning certain topics. Would not vote for him as president but would feel better with him as VP.

I don't know about the other guys.
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well he'd only be a Heart Attack or Stroke or Bullet away from being President.

If I don't want them to be President...I don't want them to be Vice President either. JMO.
  19. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. I never liked Dan "Potatoe" Quail, and I was glad we never had to worry about a Quail Presidency.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,172 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    How could anyone consider voting for Newt Gingrich, he had his wife served with divorce papers when she was in the hospital.

Anyway, I think McCain should choose a good tailor to be his running mate, the dude suits just don't fit him well. His wife is good looking for an older woman though, certainly better than Jabba the Hutt aka Mrs. Huckabee