1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McCain will go to debate

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13970.html

McCain will go to debate
    By: Politico Staff
    September 26, 2008 11:37 AM EST

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) ended three days of suspense on Friday morning and announced that he will leave bailout negotiations in Washington and fly to Oxford, Miss., for the opening presidential debate.

McCain had said he would suspend his campaign until an agreement was reached on the administration's $700 billion mortgage proposal.

No such an agreement has been reached, but Republicans said the standoff was hurting McCain's campaign, and he would look terrible if he ruined the nationally televised, eagerly anticipated debate while Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) was ready to go onstage.

The text of the statement:

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) announces: "The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.

The text of a statement from his camapign at about 11:20 a.m. Eastern:

John McCain’s decision to suspend his campaign was made in the hopes that politics could be set aside to address our economic crisis.

In response, Americans saw a familiar spectacle in Washington. At a moment of crisis that threatened the economic security of American families, Washington played the blame game rather than work together to find a solution that would avert a collapse of financial markets without squandering hundreds of billions of taxpayers’ money to bailout bankers and brokers who bet their fortunes on unsafe lending practices.

Both parties in both houses of Congress and the administration needed to come together to find a solution that would deserve the trust of the American people. And while there were attempts to do that, much of yesterday was spent fighting over who would get the credit for a deal and who would get the blame for failure. There was no deal or offer yesterday that had a majority of support in Congress. There was no deal yesterday that included adequate protections for the taxpayers. It is not enough to cut deals behind closed doors and then try to force it on the rest of Congress — especially when it amounts to thousands of dollars for every American family.

The difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was apparent during the White House meeting yesterday, where Barack Obama’s priority was political posturing in his opening monologue defending the package as it stands. John McCain listened to all sides so he could help focus the debate on finding a bipartisan resolution that is in the interest of taxpayers and homeowners. The Democratic interests stood together in opposition to an agreement that would accommodate additional taxpayer protections.

Senator McCain has spent the morning talking to members of the administration, members of the Senate, and members of the House. He is optimistic that there has been significant progress toward a bipartisan agreement now that there is a framework for all parties to be represented in negotiations, including Representative Blunt as a designated negotiator for House Republicans. The McCain campaign is resuming all activities and the senator will travel to the debate this afternoon. Following the debate, he will return to Washington to ensure that all voices and interests are represented in the final agreement, especially those of taxpayers and homeowners.
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Well, we have something to watch tonight. That's good. And the suspension is over. That's good too.

Yay all around.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,316 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    Myself I would rather see both in Washington doing the job they are being paid to do.
  5. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,204 Messages
    5,764 Likes Received
    Now that's classic. :laugh2:

This election is getting more ridiculous by the day...
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He never should have threatened to skip the debate. It came off as a stunt, or that he was afraid to mix it up with Obama. You can't suspend your presidency in the midst of a crisis, so why should a campaign be any different? Not to mention the fact that Americans will be watching this debate for answers to the current crisis--or at least a progress report.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,316 Messages
    3,037 Likes Received
    Why a deal will be hammered out before the election and that deal is going to determine what either man will be able to do in his administration. Right now there is no deal so all we will hear tonight are false promises based on little information. They need to in Washington working with their respective parties to get this resolved until then there is nothing they can say
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  10. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    It's good to admit to yourself how you've been acting about this the last couple of days...

I respect you for that... ;)
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Not going to work...:D

McCains the Drama Queen here and you know it...:p:
  12. trickblue

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    So have a few of you... and you know it... :p:
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well at least it was nice of you to put away your Bill Clinton Hate in order to use him to defend McCain wanting to skip the debate.

I respect you for that.

:p:
  14. trickblue

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I never hated Bill Clinton... you are confusing me with someone else...

I didn't particularly like him as president, but he would be cool to hang out with, have a beer with and bird dog with...
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,923 Messages
    1,797 Likes Received

:laugh2:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a friend named Josh who is a pretty cool guy, everybody likes him, he's pretty good with the ladies, he does OK. He's just a guy that when you hang out with, he's fun. But, he's also the guy that doesn't get up in the morning and get to work on time because he's had to much fun. He never has enough money at the end of the month because he's had too much fun. He's always just a little bit off on the social aspects of things because he just doesn't get all of that kinda stuff. He's a good guy but I wouldn't hire him to mow my lawn. I'll either end up with the mower on fire or the lawn on fire.

But if you want to sit around, drink some brews after the lawn is mowed, he's your guy.

:laugh2:
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    And I'm sure you don't want McCain to win either. :D

I know, I know...you're going to vote third party.

At least you didn't deny using him to defend McCain.

I'm just kidding ya.

:p:
  17. trickblue

28,858 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Actually I don't want either of them to win... but in the real world one has to. I would rather that be McCain.

It's kind of like the difference between kissing your sister or your cousin... neither is a good thing...
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    OK now we're getting somewhere.

Not like I didn't know already.

Just nice to have you admit it. :p: