1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McDonald's by my home, a case study in our poor education system...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ThaBigP, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This was one of the most surreal moments I've had in quite a while...

Went to McD's for some lunch. Rolled up and ordered a meal that rung up to about $6.40-ish. Gave the cashier at the window a $20. I was promptly given $3.60-ish cents in change. After dropping the coin in my coin holder I noticed all I was given in bills were three ones. I handed the three ones back, and told the guy I'd given him a $20....dead silence....and a confused look. The cashier started pawing through the bills in the register...then turned to the manager next to him to ask what to do. They decided to count the drawer down to confirm I wasn't trying to rip them off. After about 5 minutes of waiting, the manager came back out with the food, the receipt, and two fives. He gave me the food and then told me they'd counted the drawer and that it was only over by $10. The precise amount I'd been shorted, I reminded him. He then asked if I'd given the cashier the three ones back (he was standing by the chashier at the time and actually saw me do that). I told him I'd given the three ones back. He then restated that the drawer was only over by $10, then handed me one of the fives he had in his hand to make me whole again. This guy, the manager, was just as confused by the huge scale of the numbers racing around this conversation as the cashier was. When I told him the other $5 was owed to me as well, he simply stared at it, and muttered AGAIN "but...the drawer was only over by $10". "That's my $10 you were over" I said once more. He then reluctantly handed over the other five as if he just knew I was ripping him off, but not before saying "but...this all still leaves you $3 short". I agreed...and asked if the cashier had counted the $3 I returned with the drawer cash or if he'd just set it aside to focus on what was in the drawer and in question. I think his head was about to pop at this point, and so was mine. I told him $3 wasn't worth the trouble of teaching him remedial mathematics...they could keep it.

Seriously.....a store full of employees and they can't figure THIS out?
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    That's what you get for making poor dietary decisions. I guess it is true, you are what you eat.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,904 Messages
    4,263 Likes Received
    You start slamming the big macs and we are going to rumble. :p:
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received

That would be your stomach, right?
  5. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,061 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    It proves minimum wage is to high, those guys shouldn't be making over $2/hour.
  6. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    It might be that they are not properly trained nor want to make mistakes. When you keep doing things over and over and over, they just forgot to do the simple things or remind themselves.

I fully believe our education system sucks, put from reading it, i can also see the manager is trying to not make a mistake and get blamed for it. He might be nervous and not thinking properly.

When you are being ripped off a bunch of times after a while you assume everyone is ripping you off.
  7. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I got one for you my brother lawn's is an cop they got a call one night that someone was trying to pay with fake money. They show up and the guy was paying with $2 bills and the person at the cash register thought they where fake because there was no such thing as a $2 bill.

:lmao2:

What makes it funnier we have a scrap metal dealer that advertise on the radios, tv's and billboards in the area that they pay in $2 bills
  8. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received

Oh come on, how many kids have seen a 2 dollar bill, plus all the times they are indoctrined that people are going to rip them off and how many kids listen to the scrap yards advertisment?
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received

What in the heck are you talking about? Never mind. I get it. You were the manager.
  10. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    How hard is it for these brain dead morons to enter the amount they were given so the register will tell them how much to give back? Registers had that ability back in the mid 80's when I worked at a fast food place.
  11. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,588 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Whats even sadder is when a quick change artist comes along and tries to scam you out of cash.

Several years ago I worked at Franklin Covey retail and this quick change artist came in and tried to bilk me out of some cash. After about 30 seconds of his bull crap I just looked at him with a smirky grimace, took his merchandise placed it on the counter behind me, game him his original denomination back and told him in no uncertain terms to get the frack out of my store. He promptly left.
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    That doesn't help if they don't look at the amount of the bill you give them. This guy probably assumed you gave him just as large of a bill as was needed to pay for the order. If your order was $6.00 and you gave him a bill, he didn't think and assumed that you gave him the next highest bill to cover the payment.

Doesn't excuse what he did, but it wouldn't be corrected by him putting the wrong amount in the register.
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

"It was my understanding that there would be no math."
  14. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You shoulda called the cops on that McDonalds!

[youtube]0feH-2SwZaI[/youtube]
  15. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,722 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Pay with a debit card. Takes the guess work out of the equation.

Then again, my checkbook never jibes with the balance the bank says I have. Doesn't bother me but my wife is one of those that balances her checkbook every month. She will chase pennies for hours just to get it straight.
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    "she say she are the manager"

proper English *****!

pOHlice

mACdonalds
  17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So they can steal your card info? :eek:
  18. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :confused: explain yourself
  19. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Hell, if they pull that enough during the course of the day, those 3 dollars will add up... The new age criminal, play dumb until the guy who gets math gets frustrated.

I went to Fridays for lunch, a very rare occasion and aside from not being much of an eater of garbage, this incident reminded me why:

My total came to 11.40.
    The girl brings me back 8.00. I say where's the .60¢? She throws up her hands and say's I ain't got sixty cent. Friday's ain't got .60¢? I ask. The whole business of Friday's, with a bar in the corner, ain't got 60.¢? She dumbly shakes her head.

It was laughable and a paltry sum, but considering that this clown would jeopardize her job for not even the cost of a pack of gum these day's was almost too much to pass up.

I didn't make a stink, but the implication wasn't lost on me. Enough people not caring about the paltry sum will add up.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    The world is full of near ******** people. Just chock full of them. They're everywhere. No amount of education will change this.