1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

McGovern, former Clinton backer, endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, May 7, 2008.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    LINK

By DENNIS GALE, Associated Press Writer 56 minutes ago

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Former Sen. George McGovern, an early supporter of Hillary Rodham Clinton, urged her to drop out of the Democratic presidential race and endorsed her rival, Barack Obama.

After watching the returns from the North Carolina and Indiana primaries Tuesday night, McGovern said Wednesday it's virtually impossible for Clinton to win the nomination. The 1972 Democratic presidential nominee said he had a call in to former President Clinton to tell him of the decision, adding that he remains close friends with the Clintons.

"I will hold them in affection and admiration all of my days," he said of the Clintons.

McGovern's announcement comes a day before Clinton was scheduled to travel to South Dakota to campaign. The state holds its primary June 3 with 15 pledged delegates at stake.

McGovern said he had no regrets about endorsing Hillary Clinton months ago, even before the Iowa caucuses.

"She has run a valiant campaign. And she will remain an influential voice in the American future," he said.

But Obama has won the nomination "by any practical test" and is very close to a majority of the pledged delegates, said McGovern, who is 85. Obama moved within 200 delegates of clinching the nomination with his split decision on Tuesday of a win in North Carolina and a narrow loss in Indiana.

It's time to unite the Democratic Party, he said.

"Hillary, of course, will make the decision as to if and when she ends her campaign. But I hope that she reaches that decision soon so that we can concentrate on a unified party capable of winning the White House next November," he said.

McGovern is not a superdelegate, one of the prominent Democrats who has a vote at the national convention.
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,825 Messages
    85 Likes Received
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    She's got Obama right where she wants him. :laugh2:

Great post.
  4. WiPatfan

WiPatfan New Member

96 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Awesome.

Hey, when do we crack open the bubbly? The Black Knight is almost dead, folks. I cannot believe Obama finished her off.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    C'mon Hil, don't give up yet!

Keep up the fight!!!!!

:D
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Who would have thought when this all started that when all was said and done that Giuliani and Clinton would have been beaten by McCain and Obama?

Not me.
  7. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I knew Giuliani never had a chance at all. Obama has no shot in the general. So McCain will be the next President.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    Anyone foolish to believe that he does not have a shot, better not complain if it happens.

The dems did not think Bush had a shot in the last election and it bit them in the backside.

The dems do have a chance this time and it is not just a gimme with McCain as much as many think it will be.
  9. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    You thought when this all started that McCain was going to end up beating Giuliani?

I don't think anyone did...like I said when this all started.

Hell McCain was out of money and written off for dead at one point.

As far as Obama having a shot...I think when all is said and done he will have more than a shot.
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, I thought someone else would beat Rudy. But either way, Obama will not win the general.
  11. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I hope all Republicans think like you and don't bother to vote since it's going to be a cakewalk.

:p:
  12. BrAinPaiNt

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    If I was you I would not too much stock in his predictions.

I do recall him talking about a "surprise" a few years back that never happened.

I also recalling him telling us that Bush was going to have a big bounce in the spring a year or two back, he was very vehement about that one...but it never came to pass.

I think he had a direct line to Miss Cleo.:D
  13. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Not to worried about his predictions...if he said anything besides Obama had no chance I think I would fall over. :D
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,267 Messages
    2,827 Likes Received
    The Hillary campaign is taking on water and sinking like the Titanic now.

Everyone is looking for a safe place to land.

I almost feel sorry for her.

Well, not really. :grin:
  15. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where I made a mistake was believing the power of the media and the inability for so many Americans to siphon through the BS they were spreading. That in a nut shell was the problem.
  16. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Obama will be president.

Happy Landings!

:tongue:
  17. BrAinPaiNt

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    No way I feel sorry for her...can't stand her.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    No your problem was believing in the current admin...that was your problem.

Where do you think the media you watch gets it's talking points from.
  19. Cajuncowboy

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh please. :rolleyes:
  20. BrAinPaiNt

59,759 Messages
    2,798 Likes Received
    Dude...you made the predictions from YOUR sources...so I would say you and YOUR sources were wrong.

Got nobody in the media to blame unless it was right wing media because you were the only one pimping out those predictions on here.

You were so bold at the time...karma.